New Jewel-Osco opens in Bensenville

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

New Jewel-Osco opens in Bensenville

Post by pseudo3d »

The first Albertsons Cos. store of the new year* is open in Chicagoland, and from the press reports, it certainly sounds like a nice store.

A made to order burrito/taco bar? I'm there! :o

http://www.jewelosco.com/2015/12/jewel- ... y-12-2016/

One thing to note is they mention homemade tortilla chips. I've seen that in Houston-division stores (Albertsons in LA, Randalls in TX) but I had no idea they were doing that elsewhere.

* as far as I know
storewanderer

Re: New Jewel-Osco opens in Bensenville

Post by storewanderer »

They have had in-store made tortilla chips in the Safeway locations since before the Albertsons purchase and the LLC Southwest Stores also had them years ago. Most grocers in California offer in-store made tortilla chips (Safeway, Ralphs, Albertsons, etc.). Save Mart, for some reason, offers/offered them in all of the California stores but I've never seen them in the Nevada ones. Raleys does not offer in-store made tortilla chips except in a couple Food Sources.

Here is a photo:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYjXMt5UMAAGGQQ.jpg
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:They have had in-store made tortilla chips in the Safeway locations since before the Albertsons purchase and the LLC Southwest Stores also had them years ago. Most grocers in California offer in-store made tortilla chips (Safeway, Ralphs, Albertsons, etc.). Save Mart, for some reason, offers/offered them in all of the California stores but I've never seen them in the Nevada ones. Raleys does not offer in-store made tortilla chips except in a couple Food Sources.

Here is a photo:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CYjXMt5UMAAGGQQ.jpg
Huh. Never knew that Safeway stores nor Albertsons had them. Of course, I never went to any Safeway stores (probably not until 2015 I went even went to a Safeway-owned store at all! As for Albertsons, I could probably count the number I went to any Albertsons branded stores in the last five years on one hand (likely because I had no Albertsons stores in my area since 2011).

That's a different décor set from what I've been seeing coming out of the LLC-owned stores, though...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The floor is the laminated wood flooring that Safeway uses. Perhaps, there is some warehouse somewhere with tons of that flooring stockpiled.

The decor looks similar to what Albertsons, LLC put on recent Albertsons stores. The bright colors painted on the walls seem somewhat like what they were doing recently. At least, it doesn't look like a Lifestyle Safeway with dim lighting.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote:The floor is the laminated wood flooring that Safeway uses. Perhaps, there is some warehouse somewhere with tons of that flooring stockpiled.

The decor looks similar to what Albertsons, LLC put on recent Albertsons stores. The bright colors painted on the walls seems somewhat like what they were doing recently. At least, it doesn't look like a Lifestyle Safeway with dim lighting.
The store was a former Dominick's that closed in 2013 but was never picked up by competitors. If it was remodeled to Lifestyle, then the flooring is unchanged.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

If Albertsons decided to change the Jewel-Osco decor to the Lifestyle format, then no remodel would be needed. Somehow it feels like everything is going in circles again. Closed by Safeway, reopened by the new owner of Safeway... I am just waiting to see a new built from the ground up Jewel-Osco with the Lifestyle decor.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Alpha8472 wrote:If Albertsons decided to change the Jewel-Osco decor to the Lifestyle format, then no remodel would be needed. Somehow it feels like everything is going in circles again. Closed by Safeway, reopened by the new owner of Safeway... I am just waiting to see a new built from the ground up Jewel-Osco with the Lifestyle decor.
It certainly is weird that Jewel Osco is selling Safeway brands now, but Lifestyle's mostly dead now.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

I looked this one up on Google Maps. Interestingly, there's a Centennial A&P just north of it in the same shopping center.

Maps Link

Looks like it may be a Dollar Tree now.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

From what I've read on Acme Style, the chips even go up there too. I'm disappointed that they're not a region-exclusive thing but it's at least something unique the chain does in most of its markets.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't see how the chips are unique to Albertsons/Safeway when various Kroger divisions, every hispanic operator, and even Save Mart does it...