Tesco's F&F apparel inside Hy-Vee

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Tesco's F&F apparel inside Hy-Vee

Post by pseudo3d »

This is an interesting article about Hy-Vee partnering with Tesco's F&F apparel built inside of a few Minneapolis stores. This is interesting from a few standpoints, as typically the grocery stores that do carry non-sports apparel are limited and/or total junk (really dubious-looking), yet Hy-Vee is pushing a relatively complete line. I also feel that it's a strategic move in the market, as grocers are really suffering from food deflation, so bolstering their non-food mix should ease that in terms of making money.

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/ ... /86194976/
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Re: Tesco's F&F apparel inside Hy-Vee

Post by veteran+ »

I doubt this will work.

Tesco is not known for acceptable quality in clothing (or anything).

Tesco is not a reliable partner in business (they often are creative in what they believe to be the truth).

Tesco cannot be trusted regarding finances, accounting or anything to do with numbers.

Though Tesco is still bleeding worldwide they continue to have too much hubris to get out of the hole they made for themselves.
pseudo3d

Re: Tesco's F&F apparel inside Hy-Vee

Post by pseudo3d »

veteran+ wrote:I doubt this will work.

Tesco is not known for acceptable quality in clothing (or anything).

Tesco is not a reliable partner in business (they often are creative in what they believe to be the truth).

Tesco cannot be trusted regarding finances, accounting or anything to do with numbers.

Though Tesco is still bleeding worldwide they continue to have too much hubris to get out of the hole they made for themselves.
I've never dealt with Tesco, but they're still the biggest food retailer in the UK (even beating Asda, which is backed by Walmart) and I think this type of deal is valid for any out of country expansion. Tesco and the failure of Fresh & Easy hangs on everyone's mind but a large part of that was Tesco's overconfidence in the type of store they felt would succeed. Entering a new country organically without a partnership and with an entirely new store format is a recipe for disaster.

I know the quality of the clothes isn't all that good, usually these sorts of "fast fashion" clothes aren't particularly durable.

I do hope this succeeds though, and I think it may be a good strategy for other regional supermarkets (Wegmans, Publix, H-E-B) to expand apparel options.