Marsh stops rent payments on six stores

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Re: Marsh stops rent payments on six stores

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote:
mbz321 wrote:
cathandler wrote:The locations with in-store pharmacies will no longer be able to sell hard liquor in accordance with Indiana law.

I come from a state with odd alcohol laws, but is just pretty funny :lol:
The Indy Star had a story about that aspect of the pharmacy shutdown:
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/201 ... 101165236/
Yeah, and now those liquor sections will just go as wasted space...if things are this bad, I doubt Marsh has the resources to properly re-merchandise the stores anymore, so it will probably become huge displays of bottled water or something.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

cathandler wrote:
mbz321 wrote:
cathandler wrote:The locations with in-store pharmacies will no longer be able to sell hard liquor in accordance with Indiana law.

I come from a state with odd alcohol laws, but is just pretty funny :lol:
The Indy Star had a story about that aspect of the pharmacy shutdown:
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/201 ... 101165236/
And people complain about Utah's alcohol laws. . . :roll:
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Marsh to close remaining stores within 60 days if buyer/partner not found
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/201 ... 101462048/
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote:Marsh to close remaining stores within 60 days if buyer/partner not found
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/201 ... 101462048/
The closure of the pharmacies make it a hard sell. Kroger will probably end up saving a handful, but most of the chain is screwed unless SuperValu swoops in and negotiates for them to keep supplying them, even if conditions deteriorate further.

A shame, because the newer ones look like attractive stores. I can't believe how Sun Capital completely destroyed the chain...I mean, at least Central Co-Op had renovated stores and made plans to sell down the chain; even A&P kept things together with a number of attractive, full-featured stores.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Marsh files Chapter 11

Post by cathandler »

The next, inevitable step in Marsh's collapse:
http://www.indystar.com/story/money/201 ... 101547184/
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

http://www.supermarketnews.com/retail-f ... bankruptcy

This article makes it sound like SuperValu will buy most of what's left of Marsh, which is what I've been thinking all along, since SuperValu has the most to lose out of all this.
“Our goal in those cases is that, for the most part, the locations that the customer owned were good grocery locations. Their execution in that box was probably not optimum. But there should be a grocer in that location and there should be a grocer that we supply,” said Gross.

“There are 40 stars in the Marsh universe today and I’d like to supply 30 of them,” he added.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't pick up the same message there. I get the feeling Supervalu wants to keep supplying some of these but does not intend to buy them.

Kind of a hard sell with pharmacy closed which in turn closes the door to liquor sales in the stores... could a new grocer take over, re-open pharmacy, and then sell liquor again? I do not know how the prescription sale agreement was written up...
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Plus Supervalu is actively shopping their remaining stores; they intend to exit retailing and focus entirely on distribution.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

cathandler wrote:Plus Supervalu is actively shopping their remaining stores; they intend to exit retailing and focus entirely on distribution.
I certainly got that from the article quotes, or that they would retain a small retail operation to "test" things.

Out of curiosity, they made it sound like part of Marsh's fall was not using some of SuperValu's other services. What are those? Payroll? HR? Accounting? Ad buying and design? I would think for a small operation (5 stores or less) some of that wouldn't help, but a larger one might end up saving money as long as their wholesaler was good at things.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

cathandler wrote:Plus Supervalu is actively shopping their remaining stores; they intend to exit retailing and focus entirely on distribution.
That is true, but remember that SuperValu still bought some divested Food Lion stores last year.