New Jewel-Osco at Clark and Division

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: New Jewel-Osco at Clark and Division

Post by rwsandiego »

buckguy wrote:I remember what was probably the original store at this location--white ceramic tile from the 50s that lasted that way into the 90s. Probably one of the last stores like that.
According to the Chicago Tribune Article the previous store was built in 1974. This ad, courtesy of Pleasant Family Shopping,, lists a store at 1212 N Dearborn, which is one block east. That is probably the white ceramic tile store you are thinking about. Today, 1212 N Dearborn houses an Edwardo's Pizza. I don't know whether the existing building, which also houses a Walgreen's, was built in the 1980's when Walgreen's located there (it is their 1,000th store) or was simply remodeled to house Walgreen's and Edwardo's.

It is too bad one of those old ceramic front Jewel stores could not have been salvaged and expanded (including white tile of course).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

A few weeks ago I visited Chicago and, of course, had to see the new Jewel. It is STUNNING! They did a great job of evoking the mid-century modern design that is prevalent in the adjacent Carl Sandburg Village development while not making it look like a cheap imitation.

The store's layout is pretty unusual, but given the property, there was not much else they could do. The registers, Starbucks, and customer service desk are all along the Division Street side. This is the short side of the building. Butcher Block, Pier 14 (Seafood, which has been used sporadically since Supervalu divested the stores), and milk are on the opposite side of the store. Floral, Produce, and pre-wrapped meat are located along the Clark Street (longer) side of the building. This side has windows at the top of the wall, as you see in the produce pics. Bakery and Dairy are on the opposite side of the store, and Deli and the Cheese Shop are across the aisle from Bakery. The hot food and salad bars are between Deli and Bakery. Wine, Liquor, and the bar (Division on the Rocks) are upstairs. The center store consists of eight very long aisles with cut-throughs (which Jewel had for years and still has in some larger stores). The store does not have a pharmacy. The history on that is pretty interesting. The original store was built in the 1970's without an Osco. When the First Chicago bank branch kitty-corner relocated south on Clark, they opened an Osco in that space. Then Osco was divested to CVS. Given there is a Walgreens on the next corner at Dearborn St and a second CVS one additional block at State, anyone who lives in the neighborhood and has prescriptions fills them at CVS or Walgreens. Also of note, the store carries products that are tailored to the neighborhood, such as obscure spices and salts, "natural" health and beauty aids, and specialty foods.

Here are some pics I took:
Looking down Produce from the main entrance at Division and Clark. (The sign reads "Farmer's Harvest")

Continuing down the Clark street wall to the Butcher Block and Pier 14. Thanks to the way the aisles are placed I couldn't get a good shot of Pier 14. Next time!.

The "Community" sign.

Another shot of the "Community" sign. LOVE that sign! Jewel has a long history of community event sponsorship, so this is more than just wall decor.

Dairy and part of the bakery. Like the Pier 14 sign, it is hard to get a good shot.

Artisan Bakery (like no one would have figured that out!).

Side view of Cheese Shop

View from the Starbucks along the Division Street side. Note that customer service is called "Guest Services." There is a secondary entrance just behind where I was standing when taking the picture.

View from the bar area. Wine and Liquor are adjacent to the bar upstairs. The previous store also had the wine/liquor departments in a loft.

Close-up of an aisle sign. Unlike Kinzie Street and Southport, which also have custom interiors, the aisle markers do not display street names.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Is "bevs" an actual term that Midwesterners use or did they just not have enough space to write "beverages"?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote: April 29th, 2018, 3:57 pm Is "bevs" an actual term that Midwesterners use or did they just not have enough space to write "beverages"?
I grew up in Chicago and have never heard the term "bevs" used, so I'll assume "beverages" did not fit on the sign.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Nice looking store. I like the colors. Quite a radical difference from the store it replaced.

Funny to see it on the Supervalu (old Albertsons) systems for tags/signs. Knowing they will be on the Safeway system in the next few months... also I see it has self checkout.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: April 29th, 2018, 6:43 pm Nice looking store. I like the colors. Quite a radical difference from the store it replaced...
Indeed, it is. The previous store was "remodeled" in 1998 or 1999 (it wasn't my local Jewel and I rarely stopped in - the place was hideous) and not touched since.
storewanderer wrote: April 29th, 2018, 6:43 pm Funny to see it on the Supervalu (old Albertsons) systems for tags/signs. Knowing they will be on the Safeway system in the next few months...
I never liked the Albertsons signage. Not sure why just didn't. Safeway's signage is actually OK. Not sure if that's because I have grown accustomed to it after shopping at VONS and now Safeway for 18 years or because it is better. They are shelf tags and signs, after all.
storewanderer wrote: April 29th, 2018, 6:43 pm...also I see it has self checkout.
Yes, it does. I think there are six or eight. They pack a lot of registers into a small space.
Super S

Post by Super S »

rwsandiego wrote: April 29th, 2018, 12:23 pm A few weeks ago I visited Chicago and, of course, had to see the new Jewel. It is STUNNING! They did a great job of evoking the mid-century modern design that is prevalent in the adjacent Carl Sandburg Village development while not making it look like a cheap imitation.

The store's layout is pretty unusual, but given the property, there was not much else they could do. The registers, Starbucks, and customer service desk are all along the Division Street side. This is the short side of the building. Butcher Block, Pier 14 (Seafood, which has been used sporadically since Supervalu divested the stores), and milk are on the opposite side of the store. Floral, Produce, and pre-wrapped meat are located along the Clark Street (longer) side of the building. This side has windows at the top of the wall, as you see in the produce pics. Bakery and Dairy are on the opposite side of the store, and Deli and the Cheese Shop are across the aisle from Bakery. The hot food and salad bars are between Deli and Bakery. Wine, Liquor, and the bar (Division on the Rocks) are upstairs. The center store consists of eight very long aisles with cut-throughs (which Jewel had for years and still has in some larger stores). The store does not have a pharmacy. The history on that is pretty interesting. The original store was built in the 1970's without an Osco. When the First Chicago bank branch kitty-corner relocated south on Clark, they opened an Osco in that space. Then Osco was divested to CVS. Given there is a Walgreens on the next corner at Dearborn St and a second CVS one additional block at State, anyone who lives in the neighborhood and has prescriptions fills them at CVS or Walgreens. Also of note, the store carries products that are tailored to the neighborhood, such as obscure spices and salts, "natural" health and beauty aids, and specialty foods.

The "Community" sign.
Please tell me that those marks and spots on the floor are just from spills and not permanent concrete discoloring.

(I'll be happy when the fad of polished concrete floors is over)
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Super S wrote: April 30th, 2018, 8:47 am
rwsandiego wrote: April 29th, 2018, 12:23 pm A few weeks ago I visited Chicago and, of course, had to see the new Jewel. It is STUNNING! They did a great job of evoking the mid-century modern design that is prevalent in the adjacent Carl Sandburg Village development while not making it look like a cheap imitation.

The "Community" sign.
Please tell me that those marks and spots on the floor are just from spills and not permanent concrete discoloring.

(I'll be happy when the fad of polished concrete floors is over)
I didn't notice them in person but sure did when looking at the photos. I feel the same about polished concrete floors.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

This is exactly what they've put in Pavilions remodels in Southern California. It seems to be Albertson's "Throw all the money at it" concept... and it works. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1337&start=10#p11650
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

submariner wrote: April 30th, 2018, 6:45 pm
rwsandiego wrote: April 29th, 2018, 12:23 pm A few weeks ago I visited Chicago and, of course, had to see the new Jewel. It is STUNNING! They did a great job of evoking the mid-century modern design that is prevalent in the adjacent Carl Sandburg Village development while not making it look like a cheap imitation. ...
This is exactly what they've put in Pavilions remodels in Southern California. It seems to be Albertson's "Throw all the money at it" concept... and it works. viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1337&start=10#p11650
It is nice to see that Albertsons has an upscale decor package for upscale neighborhoods. It would be a shame to throw all the design money into one store and not use it again.