Jewel gets store brands back

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Jewel gets store brands back

Post by pseudo3d »

It's not to the extent that they had pre-EE, but this is a really positive step out of ABS.

http://acmestyleblog.blogspot.com/2017/ ... brand.html
storewanderer

Re: Jewel gets store brands back

Post by storewanderer »

Putting any Safeway branded items (Lucerne...) into Chicago or Philly was a really stupid move.

These items were never Essential Everyday. These were always Jewel brand right down to when the Lucerne or Signature items hit the shelves.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote:Putting any Safeway branded items (Lucerne...) into Chicago or Philly was a really stupid move.

These items were never Essential Everyday. These were always Jewel brand right down to when the Lucerne or Signature items hit the shelves.
Are you sure milk carried the Jewel brand? After the salmonella outbreak in the 1980's milk products were manufactured by Dean foods and carried the Dean's brand well into the 2000's.

Bread, eggs, and cheese were still branded "Jewel."
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I thought all of the divisions retained self branded milk, eggs, and bread when Supervalu switched the rest of grocery private label to Essential Everyday...

Some of them also retained self branded water, sour cream, and other random items.

Given the "it's back" marketing Jewel seems to be claiming they had milk with their own label.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:Putting any Safeway branded items (Lucerne...) into Chicago or Philly was a really stupid move.

What I meant "pre-EE" was when Jewel had a full line of items and not just basic ones (canned foods, corn flakes, etc. etc., usually a little box where "Albertsons", "Jewel", or "ACME" would be stamped).
rwsandiego wrote: Are you sure milk carried the Jewel brand? After the salmonella outbreak in the 1980's milk products were manufactured by Dean foods and carried the Dean's brand well into the 2000's.

Milk (or "melk", rather, as one would pronounce it in Chicagoland) I don't know if it ever had the Jewel brand either. For the way milk used to be even up until around 2015 in a Louisiana Albertsons (LLC), there was the "Albertsons" milk and the cheaper "Good Day" milk. I assumed that the Jewel milk was the same way.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:

What I meant "pre-EE" was when Jewel had a full line of items and not just basic ones (canned foods, corn flakes, etc. etc., usually a little box where "Albertsons", "Jewel", or "ACME" would be stamped).
rwsandiego wrote: Are you sure milk carried the Jewel brand? After the salmonella outbreak in the 1980's milk products were manufactured by Dean foods and carried the Dean's brand well into the 2000's.

Milk (or "melk", rather, as one would pronounce it in Chicagoland) I don't know if it ever had the Jewel brand either. For the way milk used to be even up until around 2015 in a Louisiana Albertsons (LLC), there was the "Albertsons" milk and the cheaper "Good Day" milk. I assumed that the Jewel milk was the same way.
Dairy products other than milk and ice cream used the "Jewel" brand prior to "EE." They always did. The last time I bought milk at Jewel was before the re-branding to "EE" and it was Dean's. My thought at the time was nearly 25 years had elapsed since the salmonella outbreak (not to mention that fluid milk was branded "Hillfarm" and "Bluebrook," not "Jewel") so it seemed like it was OK to use the Jewel brand on milk.

Regarding the "they're back" tagline, the other products would have been branded "Jewel" prior to "EE."