Kroger to buy Roundy's for $800 million

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin. No non-grocery posts.
Andrew T.
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Kroger to buy Roundy's for $800 million

Post by Andrew T. »

The walls looked finished; the store itself might not be. I'll be waiting for Kroger to make changes to the front end next: The old Roundy's registers don't even have chip readers.
AT
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

klkla wrote:
Andrew T. wrote:I'm not sure if this is a Kroger decor package, or if it's a new package commissioned specifically for the Roundy's division. I ventured into a number of Kroger stores in downstate Illinois and Missouri this month, and none of them looked like this.
There are elements of that design in the Ralphs Fresh Fare in downtown Los Angeles, which was remodeled within the last year although it's not an exact match. Did it look like they were finished or still working on it?
From what I can tell, the aisle section markers are typical Kroger decor and the overhead aisle markers are similar to Kroger's; however, all other elements are custom to Roudy's. Regardless, this decor package is not far off from what Kroger's recent decor packages hva elooked like, so a gradual meshing of the two would not be out of the question.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That looks like a dumbed down version of the Ralphs Fresh Fare decor. But something about it doesn't quite look there. Maybe it is close but not the same.
bm10k

Post by bm10k »

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus ... /95720342/

Looks Like All The Stores are getting remodeled
Andrew T.
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by Andrew T. »

bm10k wrote:http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus ... /95720342/

Looks Like All The Stores are getting remodeled
Milwaukee is a big-enough market to keep Kroger/Roundy's busy remodeling for a while.

It'll be worth keeping an eye on which stores don't get remodeled, though. Over in Madison, two supermarkets still persist with the Copps name and older interior decor. Both are older stores in less heavily trafficked locations, and I fully expect them to be closed when the leases expire.

I'll be curious to see if the remodeling juggernaut makes it to smaller markets in northern Wisconsin and whether the elimination of the Copps name causes much consternation in Stevens Point, where the pre-Roundy's Copps Corporation used to be based.
AT
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So it looks like they really are going to make Pick N Save the banner used in that market. I'd fix the stores up and convert to Kroger; lots of negativity surrounding the Pick N Save name, but maybe there is value in the Pick N Save name that I did not pick up.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Two PnS stores are closing. Were either of these stores expected?

http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus ... 322794001/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

New Berlin is a former Jewel (was practically a brand new store when Jewel exited that market). Not sure about the other one...
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

Post by cathandler »

Two more Pick 'n Save stores are being shuttered
http://www.jsonline.com/story/money/bus ... 322794001/
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Kroger has migrated Mariano's, Pick n Save, and Copp's to their standard website design. Not sure when it occurred, as I don't check out Mariano's that often, but it has happened.