DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons/MArket Street Observations

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons/MArket Street Observations

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Cross-post, but I've heard reports that Red River Farms has been replaced with Lucerne. Dang. :(
I was at the Market Street in Plano over this weekend and can confirm that Red River Farms has been replaced by Lucerne. However, the Lucerne milk being sold at Market Street is actually different from the Lucerne being sold at DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons locations, as the Market Street jugs have a colored cap which corresponds with the label color, while the jugs sold elsewhere have a white cap. It is likely that the milk being sold at Market Street is still being supplied by the same plant which serves the United stores in the Panhandle/West Texas; I will check the coding next time I am shopping there. Also the Plano store has been extensively reorganized, with the product selection skewing much more mass-market than before (with some high-end products being eliminated). This is not a good move in one of the highest income areas of DFW, especially with so much competition nearby. Pricing was much more competitive than both Tom Thumb and Albertsons though, and the selection was still very good for a mainstream grocer.
I was there too this weekend (presumably after the reset), and I was impressed overall. The soda section is all name-brand (no Refreshe), the HBA department is far larger than anything I've seen in a Safeway branded store, and of course, staffing was excellent. I didn't see higher-end products, though, you're right. I didn't check the milk, but the bottled water in 1 gallon jugs (using a different design than milk jugs--a more curved top, Walmart uses the same thing) was still Kristal.

Overall, it being my first time, it felt like a decent competitor to Kroger or H-E-B for the first time, and a bit like Albertsons/Randalls cooler, more successful cousin.
The HBA mix likely stemmed from Albertsons' typical mix rather than Safeway's. Since Essential Everyday was completely phased out, certain new items have been introduced under the Signature banner which are direct replacements for EE items which did not already have a Signature equivalent. However, these items can only be found at stores which originated from the Albertsons side of the merger. As a result, in DFW, Albertsons and Market Street stores often have a much more extensive private-label product mix than Tom Thumb. In addition, Market Street stores also have an extensive natural health and nutrition products section.

It is sad that Market Street is effectively being shafted in DFW, as it is likely the banner with the most growth potential within the region. It can hold its own against a typical Kroger or HEB, and could potentially even scare HEB away from expanding into the market if Albertsons was willing to increase store count.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:
I was at the Market Street in Plano over this weekend and can confirm that Red River Farms has been replaced by Lucerne. However, the Lucerne milk being sold at Market Street is actually different from the Lucerne being sold at DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons locations, as the Market Street jugs have a colored cap which corresponds with the label color, while the jugs sold elsewhere have a white cap. It is likely that the milk being sold at Market Street is still being supplied by the same plant which serves the United stores in the Panhandle/West Texas; I will check the coding next time I am shopping there. Also the Plano store has been extensively reorganized, with the product selection skewing much more mass-market than before (with some high-end products being eliminated). This is not a good move in one of the highest income areas of DFW, especially with so much competition nearby. Pricing was much more competitive than both Tom Thumb and Albertsons though, and the selection was still very good for a mainstream grocer.
I was there too this weekend (presumably after the reset), and I was impressed overall. The soda section is all name-brand (no Refreshe), the HBA department is far larger than anything I've seen in a Safeway branded store, and of course, staffing was excellent. I didn't see higher-end products, though, you're right. I didn't check the milk, but the bottled water in 1 gallon jugs (using a different design than milk jugs--a more curved top, Walmart uses the same thing) was still Kristal.

Overall, it being my first time, it felt like a decent competitor to Kroger or H-E-B for the first time, and a bit like Albertsons/Randalls cooler, more successful cousin.

It is sad that Market Street is effectively being shafted in DFW, as it is likely the banner with the most growth potential within the region. It can hold its own against a typical Kroger or HEB, and could potentially even scare HEB away from expanding into the market if Albertsons was willing to increase store count.
It's not really so much the banner but the fact that it's still better merchandised, priced, and run better than its "cousins" in the D/FW area. They need to get rid of the Dallas-Fort Worth division as it stands and have United run the whole show in the area. A properly merchandised, run, and priced Tom Thumb will hold off H-E-B, even if the stores are heavily different.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Went to the South Bowen Tom Thumb in Arlington. It kind of struck me as odd since it didn't seem to be the nicer neighborhood Tom Thumb tends to nestle itself in, but I did make a few observations.

- Still has self check-out but lines are long (though never more than 3 deep). The cashier didn't even address the next lady in line, not even a "Hi, welcome to Tom Thumb, I'll be right with you," she just stood there for several minutes as she fiddled with the POS system. It was awkward.
- Donuts at this Tom Thumb are 70¢, which are more than the 50¢ donuts at Randalls (though to note, the two brands are no longer the same division). The quality seemed to be at least as good or better as Randalls, a filled jelly donut tasted a bit like the comparably priced H-E-B ones. I know that Storewanderer has ragged on about the donuts, but maybe it's different for NorCal...?
- This was a problem at Randalls, but the pieces of chicken are really small and shrink a lot in frying. This is especially obvious when there's not a lot of breading on the chicken.
- A corner of the store was converted to a "Cowboy Pro Shop", complete with lettering from LLC on a dark blue (Cowboys colors, of course) background. I took a picture which I have yet to post, but it looked horrible among the beige and neutral colors of Lifestyle. I personally like LLC (though like the ~2012 Kroger decor that I've seen in every store only really works with high ceilings), but they should've either re-done the rest of the store in LLC or actually constructed walls to make it an actual "store".
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:Went to the South Bowen Tom Thumb in Arlington. It kind of struck me as odd since it didn't seem to be the nicer neighborhood Tom Thumb tends to nestle itself in, but I did make a few observations.

- Still has self check-out but lines are long (though never more than 3 deep). The cashier didn't even address the next lady in line, not even a "Hi, welcome to Tom Thumb, I'll be right with you," she just stood there for several minutes as she fiddled with the POS system. It was awkward.
- Donuts at this Tom Thumb are 70¢, which are more than the 50¢ donuts at Randalls (though to note, the two brands are no longer the same division). The quality seemed to be at least as good or better as Randalls, a filled jelly donut tasted a bit like the comparably priced H-E-B ones. I know that Storewanderer has ragged on about the donuts, but maybe it's different for NorCal...?
- This was a problem at Randalls, but the pieces of chicken are really small and shrink a lot in frying. This is especially obvious when there's not a lot of breading on the chicken.
- A corner of the store was converted to a "Cowboy Pro Shop", complete with lettering from LLC on a dark blue (Cowboys colors, of course) background. I took a picture which I have yet to post, but it looked horrible among the beige and neutral colors of Lifestyle. I personally like LLC (though like the ~2012 Kroger decor that I've seen in every store only really works with high ceilings), but they should've either re-done the rest of the store in LLC or actually constructed walls to make it an actual "store".
In DFW, the Tom Thumb bakeries are quite inconsistent. Most stores import all of their bakery products as frozen and simply reheat them in-store (and which definitely taste like it), but a few stores still make certain products such as donuts in-house (primarily the former Flagship stores, which there were at least two of a Northwest Highway/75 and Preston/Frankfort, both in Dallas). Some of their bakery items are good, some are terrible. I would classify it as a step above Kroger in quality and a significant step below HEB.

As far as the Cowboy Pro Shops go, these have been a standard fixture in most DFW Tom Thumb stores since the Albertsons merger. For years now, Albertsons has been the official supermarket sponsor of the Cowboys, and as a result, has long sold Cowboys merchandise in the DFW Albertsons locations, usually in an alcove toward the front of the store. When the merger occurred, Tom Thumb was added to the sponsorship deal, and almost all stores received the Pro Shops (the only stores which did not simply had a lack of available space). At most Tom Thumb stores, this space is located in an old leased space in front of the registers (often a former bank branch, photo lab, etc.) and has the same signage which you saw that looks out of place. Many recent reviews of Tom Thumb locations online actually point to the Pro Shops as being an indicator of the "cheapening" of the banner under Albertsons watch. Albertsons/Tom Thumb do offer 10% off your grocery bill if you wear a Cowboys jersey on game day, so at least they are using the sponsorship as a marketing tool.

Side note, you missed a great (though quite dumpy) unremodeled Tom Thumb to the north at Fielder and Randol Mill Rd. This store features the Safeway decor which immediately preceded Lifestyle, and has not received any capital attention in years outside of that.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Went to the South Bowen Tom Thumb in Arlington. It kind of struck me as odd since it didn't seem to be the nicer neighborhood Tom Thumb tends to nestle itself in, but I did make a few observations.

In DFW, the Tom Thumb bakeries are quite inconsistent. Most stores import all of their bakery products as frozen and simply reheat them in-store (and which definitely taste like it), but a few stores still make certain products such as donuts in-house (primarily the former Flagship stores, which there were at least two of a Northwest Highway/75 and Preston/Frankfort, both in Dallas). Some of their bakery items are good, some are terrible. I would classify it as a step above Kroger in quality and a significant step below HEB.

As far as the Cowboy Pro Shops go, these have been a standard fixture in most DFW Tom Thumb stores since the Albertsons merger. For years now, Albertsons has been the official supermarket sponsor of the Cowboys, and as a result, has long sold Cowboys merchandise in the DFW Albertsons locations, usually in an alcove toward the front of the store. When the merger occurred, Tom Thumb was added to the sponsorship deal, and almost all stores received the Pro Shops (the only stores which did not simply had a lack of available space). At most Tom Thumb stores, this space is located in an old leased space in front of the registers (often a former bank branch, photo lab, etc.) and has the same signage which you saw that looks out of place. Many recent reviews of Tom Thumb locations online actually point to the Pro Shops as being an indicator of the "cheapening" of the banner under Albertsons watch. Albertsons/Tom Thumb do offer 10% off your grocery bill if you wear a Cowboys jersey on game day, so at least they are using the sponsorship as a marketing tool.

Side note, you missed a great (though quite dumpy) unremodeled Tom Thumb to the north at Fielder and Randol Mill Rd. This store features the Safeway decor which immediately preceded Lifestyle, and has not received any capital attention in years outside of that.
I was in town for an interview but didn't have a chance to do a lot of exploring. I went to this Tom Thumb because it was across the street. The thing about the donuts is quite interesting, I thought all SWY/ALB stores brought in frozen. I saw that the "low-end" milk brand was now Value Corner but the eggs are still Lucerne, something different than in NorCal.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I thought all Safeway (and its banners) locations had fried in store donuts. I knew in the past about 15+ years ago there were some Vons who ran bakeoff donuts and bakeoff breads (those were from scratch in most locations) but I thought the lifestyle remodels and some other store replacements added the proper space and equipment to have the scratch bakery program in place. The other program that is fairly common at Safeway (you see it in NorCal and I saw it in quite a few Canada Stores too) is the "satellite bakery" program where a store without its own in-store bakery generally due to size is supplied by a nearby store with an in-store bakery.

Albertsons has been running bakeoff donuts for decades now which were consistent and overall better than Safeway's very inconsistent fried in store offering which ranges from great to terrible in the same exact store from one day to the next.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:I thought all Safeway (and its banners) locations had fried in store donuts. I knew in the past about 15+ years ago there were some Vons who ran bakeoff donuts and bakeoff breads (those were from scratch in most locations) but I thought the lifestyle remodels and some other store replacements added the proper space and equipment to have the scratch bakery program in place. The other program that is fairly common at Safeway (you see it in NorCal and I saw it in quite a few Canada Stores too) is the "satellite bakery" program where a store without its own in-store bakery generally due to size is supplied by a nearby store with an in-store bakery.

Albertsons has been running bakeoff donuts for decades now which were consistent and overall better than Safeway's very inconsistent fried in store offering which ranges from great to terrible in the same exact store from one day to the next.
The Randalls donuts for what it's worth are 50¢, but they don't look as good and they are shipped in frozen. The fact that Safeway actually had scratch equipment is surprising to me. Under Safeway, they removed stovetops from stores (even from Flagship Randalls) to force them to use the "boil in bag" stuff or oven-baked items (which had very limited recipes) with a more limited SKU count. This trend seems to be reversing, as Randalls did add the ability to cook hamburgers again at the Midtown store.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

A couple of recent updates:

The Richardson Albertsons at Jupiter/Buckingham, which has been under renovation for some time, is almost complete and has received new Albertsons signage. The existing LLC decor also remained intact, and the primary renovations consisted of a new front facade, relocating the pharmacy, replacing all coolers/freezers and many other fixtures, replacing the flooring, and other minor renovations throughout.

Also, of other interest, an "Pardon Our Mess" interior sign has appeared at the Tom Thumb at 7700 W. Northwest Highway advertising upcoming changes and improvements to the store. Although renovations had not begun yet, my guess is that the decor package in the store is being changed out as part of this process, potentially to either Florida Decor or the new package seen in the Rancho Santa Margarita Pavillions. Although this store leans on the small side (I would estimate around 40,000 sq ft.), it is in a high-profile, high-traffic location and definitely warrants a renovation, considering that its current Lifestyle decor is almost 10 years old and is in bad shape in some spots (this store received Lifestyle when it converted from the Flagship to the Tom Thumb banner).
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:A couple of recent updates:

The Richardson Albertsons at Jupiter/Buckingham, which has been under renovation for some time, is almost complete and has received new Albertsons signage. The existing LLC decor also remained intact, and the primary renovations consisted of a new front facade, relocating the pharmacy, replacing all coolers/freezers and many other fixtures, replacing the flooring, and other minor renovations throughout.
Hm, did they add anything new, like Starbucks or a pizza counter?
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:A couple of recent updates:

Hm, did they add anything new, like Starbucks or a pizza counter?
As far as I could tell, they did not. The most significant portion of the renovation is the pharmacy and new front facade, with the rest of the project spent just putting lipstick on a pig. This store is old and hasn't received any real capital investment in years, which continues to show even with these new changes. Most of the shelving, coolers, ceiling tiles and lights are original to the store, and clearly show its age.