DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons/MArket Street Observations

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: DFW Tom Thumb/Albertsons/MArket Street Observations

Post by storewanderer »

I wonder if it will get one of the "premium" interior packages. Those interiors look quite good. I think this location could do better handed to Market Street though.

Problem is their pricing is so off base and front end service is so slow compared to competitors, it doesn't really matter how good their stores look inside... until they address these issues with pricing and checkout. Successful grocery competitors today provide the customer with various checkout options including well staffed front ends and/or many self checkouts available with no wait time. I think if they corrected the checkout issues (by adding in self checkouts; about 8 of them in every store) it would probably really help things and that is the most urgent thing they need to fix.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2018, 9:18 pm I wonder if it will get one of the "premium" interior packages. Those interiors look quite good. I think this location could do better handed to Market Street though.

Problem is their pricing is so off base and front end service is so slow compared to competitors, it doesn't really matter how good their stores look inside... until they address these issues with pricing and checkout. Successful grocery competitors today provide the customer with various checkout options including well staffed front ends and/or many self checkouts available with no wait time. I think if they corrected the checkout issues (by adding in self checkouts; about 8 of them in every store) it would probably really help things and that is the most urgent thing they need to fix.
I completely second everything you said. Until Albertsons fixes their fundamental pricing and staffing issues, a new coat of paint won't do much of anything. This store in particular still has four self checkouts which have been replaced recently, but is otherwise understaffed with long lines (even at self checkout) during peak hours. Plus, too many of the employees seem to just be coasting through their jobs and show almost no committment or friendlyness. It is overall not a pleasant shopping experience, despite this location's large selection.

This store definitely would be well served under the Market Street banner, as long as management was changed to bring in leaders who are familiar with United's (far more shopper-friendly) way of running things.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

storewanderer wrote: May 20th, 2018, 9:18 pm I wonder if it will get one of the "premium" interior packages. Those interiors look quite good. I think this location could do better handed to Market Street though.

Update: This store is receiving Florida decor. However, it looks quite awkward so far, as the roof deck/joists/ductwork are all still painted in the brown-tan color common to the Lifestyle/former Lifestyle stores with warehouse ceilings. The only area which has received new decor so far is the pharmacy, but I will get photos once the renovation is complete.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Recent activity update on the Albertsons front: Over the past year or so, multiple legacy Albertsons locations which were badly in need of remodel finally received some attention, including locations at Broadway Blvd/Rowlett Rd in Garland, Montley Dr/Town East Blvd in Mesquite, and 183/Bedford Rd in Bedford. All three locations dated from when Albertsons first entered the DFW market, and had hardly been touched in over 20 years. All three stores were remodeled into a decor package which is new to the market, but bears similarities to recent decor packages seen at Jewel.

Now for an interesting twist, the Albertsons at Frankford Rd/Dallas Parkway is undergoing an extensive remodel, into Florida decor. This is the first time that this decor package has been seemingly used on an Albertsons-branded store in the market, as it’s past usages several years ago were in cases of conversion to the Tom Thumb banner in both Wylie and McKinney. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see if this store retains its Albertsons branding, or also converts to Tom Thumb. The renovation is about 50% complete, and in both of the aforementioned conversions, a banner change was not announced until near the remodel completion date. Of note, there is another moderately-trafficked Tom Thumb to the east at Preston/Frankford, but the property is not owned by Albertsons. Maybe they are consolidating both of these stores into the Albertsons box since they own the land underneath, according to Collin CAD.
retailfanmitchell019
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by retailfanmitchell019 »

architect wrote: June 24th, 2021, 11:15 pm Recent activity update on the Albertsons front: Over the past year or so, multiple legacy Albertsons locations which were badly in need of remodel finally received some attention, including locations at Broadway Blvd/Rowlett Rd in Garland, Montley Dr/Town East Blvd in Mesquite, and 183/Bedford Rd in Bedford. All three locations dated from when Albertsons first entered the DFW market, and had hardly been touched in over 20 years. All three stores were remodeled into a decor package which is new to the market, but bears similarities to recent decor packages seen at Jewel.

Now for an interesting twist, the Albertsons at Frankford Rd/Dallas Parkway is undergoing an extensive remodel, into Florida decor. This is the first time that this decor package has been seemingly used on an Albertsons-branded store in the market, as it’s past usages several years ago were in cases of conversion to the Tom Thumb banner in both Wylie and McKinney. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see if this store retains its Albertsons branding, or also converts to Tom Thumb. The renovation is about 50% complete, and in both of the aforementioned conversions, a banner change was not announced until near the remodel completion date. Of note, there is another moderately-trafficked Tom Thumb to the east at
The stores in Garland and Bedford are from the mid 80's when Albertsons re-entered Dallas.
In fact the Bedford store (and Richardson, also still open) is mentioned in this commercial:
Mesquite is a former Skaggs. All three stores had a weird remodel job done by LLC in 2007 or so. Bedford is a blue-gray repaint with some Jewel interior fixtures, and aisle hangers from the late 90's Awnings interior.

It's too bad Albertsons is remodeling their store at Frankford/Dallas Pkwy. That store had a high-end Jewel remodel (similar to the Del Mar Albertsons). Easily the nicest Albertsons in DFW.
A few Albertsons in SoCal have been remodeled into the Modern interior: Dana Point, Los Feliz (LA), and Downtown San Diego. All of those have kept the Albertsons name.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

retailfanmitchell019 wrote: June 25th, 2021, 12:51 pm
architect wrote: June 24th, 2021, 11:15 pm Recent activity update on the Albertsons front: Over the past year or so, multiple legacy Albertsons locations which were badly in need of remodel finally received some attention, including locations at Broadway Blvd/Rowlett Rd in Garland, Montley Dr/Town East Blvd in Mesquite, and 183/Bedford Rd in Bedford. All three locations dated from when Albertsons first entered the DFW market, and had hardly been touched in over 20 years. All three stores were remodeled into a decor package which is new to the market, but bears similarities to recent decor packages seen at Jewel.

Now for an interesting twist, the Albertsons at Frankford Rd/Dallas Parkway is undergoing an extensive remodel, into Florida decor. This is the first time that this decor package has been seemingly used on an Albertsons-branded store in the market, as it’s past usages several years ago were in cases of conversion to the Tom Thumb banner in both Wylie and McKinney. With that in mind, it will be interesting to see if this store retains its Albertsons branding, or also converts to Tom Thumb. The renovation is about 50% complete, and in both of the aforementioned conversions, a banner change was not announced until near the remodel completion date. Of note, there is another moderately-trafficked Tom Thumb to the east at
The stores in Garland and Bedford are from the mid 80's when Albertsons re-entered Dallas.
In fact the Bedford store (and Richardson, also still open) is mentioned in this commercial:
Mesquite is a former Skaggs. All three stores had a weird remodel job done by LLC in 2007 or so. Bedford is a blue-gray repaint with some Jewel interior fixtures, and aisle hangers from the late 90's Awnings interior.

It's too bad Albertsons is remodeling their store at Frankford/Dallas Pkwy. That store had a high-end Jewel remodel (similar to the Del Mar Albertsons). Easily the nicest Albertsons in DFW.
A few Albertsons in SoCal have been remodeled into the Modern interior: Dana Point, Los Feliz (LA), and Downtown San Diego. All of those have kept the Albertsons name.
I guess "nicest" is in the eye of the beholder.

I felt like I landed in a 1990s time warp every time I went to the Frankford/DNT Albertson's. It's easily the most dated (even if architecturally pleasing) location in all of DFW. I'm glad they're finally remodeling it (this was long overdue).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Funny how all but one (Kroger) of the stores mentioned in the commercial are now part of Albertsons.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: July 3rd, 2021, 8:08 pm Funny how all but one (Kroger) of the stores mentioned in the commercial are now part of Albertsons.
Talk about a comeback kid.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 2:38 pm

I felt like I landed in a 1990s time warp every time I went to the Frankford/DNT Albertson's. It's easily the most dated (even if architecturally pleasing) location in all of DFW. I'm glad they're finally remodeling it (this was long overdue).
Update on the Frankford/DNT store: Renovation is still underway, but the Albertsons signage on the front of the store was officially replaced by a Tom Thumb banner over the last couple of days, confirming the banner change. However, the pylon signage has not yet been changed. Honestly, the banner change is not surprising, as the Albertsons banner is mostly dead on the Dallas side of the Metroplex at this point, and the Tom Thumb banner much better fits the upscale demographics of the area. I will grab some photos once the renovation is complete.
DFWRetaileWatcher
Cashier
Cashier

Post by DFWRetaileWatcher »

architect wrote: July 24th, 2021, 2:49 pm
DFWRetaileWatcher wrote: July 2nd, 2021, 2:38 pm

Update on the Frankford/DNT store: Renovation is still underway, but the Albertsons signage on the front of the store was officially replaced by a Tom Thumb banner over the last couple of days, confirming the banner change. However, the pylon signage has not yet been changed. Honestly, the banner change is not surprising, as the Albertsons banner is mostly dead on the Dallas side of the Metroplex at this point, and the Tom Thumb banner much better fits the upscale demographics of the area. I will grab some photos once the renovation is complete.
FFS. Far North Dallas/Addison is now officially a citadel of crappy Tom Thumbs and Krogers.

A H-E-B (or several) couldn't come soon enough in this part of the Metroplex.