DFW Kroger News/Observations

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
Bjindallas

Re: DFW Kroger News/Observations

Post by Bjindallas »

architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Bjindallas wrote:One more link for the Minyard

http://m.supermarketnews.com/archive/mi ... e-new-unit
It looks like we have found a winner! Another article referencing this same store can be found online (link below), which describes a food court with six different concepts originally on the left side of the store (where the deli was located under Kroger). Two exterior windows can still be seen on the exterior, which

http://supermarketnews.com/archive/miny ... ourt-order

At the end of this store's run under the Minyard banner, I wonder if it was sold directly to Kroger, or closed and then reopened? This concept was so far removed from much of Minyard's core store base that it is no wonder that it did not pan out as anticipated. It was also very labor-intensive considering the location. Back in the mid-1990's, Highland Village was a small upscale enclave largely tied to Lake Lewisville, while Flower Mound was not nearly as built out as it is now (and was primarily concentrated towards the south side of the city). As a result, I just can't envision this food court concept having enough traffic to sustain itself.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Update on the Lake Highlands Kroger remodel: on my list visit about a month ago, the progress within the store was nearing completion. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with how the new decor turned out. Due to the drop ceilings throughout this store, it feels much less sparse and cheap than the stores which it has been implemented on the west coast. Also, there is some impressive local signage with a city map and landmarks on the far side wall of the store, near the dairy coolers. Let us know what you think. Now, if only we can get another grocer to open in the Albertsons/Minyard Sun Fresh spot down the street so that this store isn't at max capacity 24/7...

Photos:

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wonder why the Seafood and Meat signs get fancy signage while the rest are kind of glued on the wall?

Anyway, I don't like it. It does have a bit of that modern Kroger feel (with their best stores, like Mariano's), but it's like they cloned the Albertsons LLC decor wholesale, complete with "local heritage" lip service. I know! It's weird.
klkla

Post by klkla »

architect wrote:Update on the Lake Highlands Kroger remodel: on my list visit about a month ago, the progress within the store was nearing completion. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with how the new decor turned out. Due to the drop ceilings throughout this store, it feels much less sparse and cheap than the stores which it has been implemented on the west coast. Also, there is some impressive local signage with a city map and landmarks on the far side wall of the store, near the dairy coolers. Let us know what you think. Now, if only we can get another grocer to open in the Albertsons/Minyard Sun Fresh spot down the street so that this store isn't at max capacity 24/7...

Photos:
I hate to say it but I still don't like that décor package at all. And the cement floors look awful in that particular store.

Luckily Kroger changes their décor packages often so hopefully they won't use it too many more stores.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote:
architect wrote:Update on the Lake Highlands Kroger remodel: on my list visit about a month ago, the progress within the store was nearing completion. Overall, I'm pretty impressed with how the new decor turned out. Due to the drop ceilings throughout this store, it feels much less sparse and cheap than the stores which it has been implemented on the west coast. Also, there is some impressive local signage with a city map and landmarks on the far side wall of the store, near the dairy coolers. Let us know what you think. Now, if only we can get another grocer to open in the Albertsons/Minyard Sun Fresh spot down the street so that this store isn't at max capacity 24/7...
I hate to say it but I still don't like that décor package at all. And the cement floors look awful in that particular store.

Luckily Kroger changes their décor packages often so hopefully they won't use it too many more stores.
Agree. It is just too busy.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The floors ARE the worst part, with the yucky brown "wet sidewalk" color and a lot of imperfections and cracked parts.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

That cement floor looks SO bad. I think I could "take" this decor with a nicer floor.

I have heard they are considering not doing the cement floors in remodels where, after they pull off tiles, the cement is in bad shape. If this store does not qualify for the cement being in bad shape I am not sure what would...

When will Kroger understand how terrible these cement floors look, specifically in older stores with drop ceilings?

Maybe they can get away with the cement floors in a new store that is bright and has high exposed ceilings but the dark drab cement floors with many signs of the old tile below looks dirty, dark, depressing, uninviting, and makes the entire "remodel" efforts look more like a "demodel."
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote:That cement floor looks SO bad. I think I could "take" this decor with a nicer floor.

I have heard they are considering not doing the cement floors in remodels where, after they pull off tiles, the cement is in bad shape. If this store does not qualify for the cement being in bad shape I am not sure what would...

When will Kroger understand how terrible these cement floors look, specifically in older stores with drop ceilings?

Maybe they can get away with the cement floors in a new store that is bright and has high exposed ceilings but the dark drab cement floors with many signs of the old tile below looks dirty, dark, depressing, uninviting, and makes the entire "remodel" efforts look more like a "demodel."
I remember the Montrose TX Kroger (which was supposed to be a "nice" store after the re-do) still had imprints where you could see where the tile was on the floor (it is not obvious in the Yelp pictures). The Kroger stores always seem to have brown concrete...in older stores where tile was removed later, did they actually build them that way, or did they stain the concrete after the fact?
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
storewanderer wrote:That cement floor looks SO bad. I think I could "take" this decor with a nicer floor.

I remember the Montrose TX Kroger (which was supposed to be a "nice" store after the re-do) still had imprints where you could see where the tile was on the floor (it is not obvious in the Yelp pictures). The Kroger stores always seem to have brown concrete...in older stores where tile was removed later, did they actually build them that way, or did they stain the concrete after the fact?
This is my biggest problem with the stained concrete floors. Unless if the floors are initially designed to be stained (with a smooth, even surface, etc.), they rarely look "clean." In this particular case, there is so many portions of the floor which had to be excavated over the years due to the installation of new coolers, plumbing lines, etc. that the floor looks really beat up.

Also, in most cases, this staining would not be done until after original tile is removed, otherwise the stain would be heavily damaged by the adhesives used for the tile.