Bashas' oldest remaining store to close

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Bashas' oldest remaining store to close

Post by arizonaguy »

http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/re ... /92730246/

This isn't the first time Bashas' has sold a store to a developer. They sold a Food City store a couple years ago in a shopping center that was redeveloped.

This just ads to the shrinkage of the chain. I don't believe they've opened a new store since their 2009 bankruptcy and they have closed 30 - 40 stores among all 3 of their banners since then.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Bashas' oldest remaining store to close

Post by jamcool »

Bashas' cash cows are Food City-the dominant Hispanic grocer in AZ, and AJ's- the dominant gourmet grocer. And there is no instate operator that would be allowed to buy them.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I think lately Bashas' is focusing on trying to improve existing stores. It is too bad they were not able to pick up a couple of the closed Haggens that would have been good fits for them but after the bankruptcy they seem to be very cautious.

The improvements I saw in a couple of remodeled Bashas' last year were promising and their pricing seems to be more competitive than it was before the bankruptcy. I assume they will at least be able to stay in business but it seems expansion is off the table.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

jamcool wrote:Bashas' cash cows are Food City-the dominant Hispanic grocer in AZ, and AJ's- the dominant gourmet grocer. And there is no instate operator that would be allowed to buy them.
After they filed for bankruptcy, Albertsons LLC actually made a $290M offer to buy their assets, which they turned down. From the sound of it, I don't think Albertsons was ever interested in keeping the name but it would allow most employees to keep their job and for them to pay off creditors.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Despite this store not being remodeled, I got to shop there during my recent Phoenix trip. The store was clean (although yes, looks "tired") from a decor standpoint and employees were some of the nicest I've encountered in a supermarket. A stocker thoroughly tried to help me find a contact lens case on the health & beauty aisles and the cashiers apologized about changing clerks when we got up to check out (one cashier open, no self check outs) and the newer cashier was polite.

Pricing at Bashas was kind of all over the map. This store is also catty corner to a Lifestyle Safeway that is in good condition although it has no self check out and 2 small express registers. It had the Albertsons lighting "upgrade" to its perimeter. I decided to go there to buy sparkling water. While La Croix was priced high at both stores ($4.99/12), Refreshe was the same 4 for $10 as it is in Portland.

Unfortunately on this visit, I didn't make it to Food City (wanted to, good ad specials) or AJ's or Fry's. My local friend does all the shopping at Trader Joe's (same pricing as Portland, same Fearless Flyer, approximately same store layout) or SuperTarget.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote:Despite this store not being remodeled, I got to shop there during my recent Phoenix trip. The store was clean (although yes, looks "tired") from a decor standpoint and employees were some of the nicest I've encountered in a supermarket. A stocker thoroughly tried to help me find a contact lens case on the health & beauty aisles and the cashiers apologized about changing clerks when we got up to check out (one cashier open, no self check outs) and the newer cashier was polite.

Pricing at Bashas was kind of all over the map. This store is also catty corner to a Lifestyle Safeway that is in good condition although it has no self check out and 2 small express registers. It had the Albertsons lighting "upgrade" to its perimeter. I decided to go there to buy sparkling water. While La Croix was priced high at both stores ($4.99/12), Refreshe was the same 4 for $10 as it is in Portland.

Unfortunately on this visit, I didn't make it to Food City (wanted to, good ad specials) or AJ's or Fry's. My local friend does all the shopping at Trader Joe's (same pricing as Portland, same Fearless Flyer, approximately same store layout) or SuperTarget.
A little OT but that Lifestyle Safeway is the oldest Safeway in Phoenix and was originally a marina.

It's obviously been significantly remodeled since its opening.

Check out the GSV image of the back of the store: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Safew ... 65!6m1!1e1
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Wow - hard to believe this thread is a year old. Apologies for being late to the party, but wanted to add...
SamSpade wrote: February 13th, 2017, 10:42 pm Despite this store not being remodeled, I got to shop there during my recent Phoenix trip. The store was clean (although yes, looks "tired") from a decor standpoint and employees were some of the nicest I've encountered in a supermarket. A stocker thoroughly tried to help me find a contact lens case on the health & beauty aisles and the cashiers apologized about changing clerks when we got up to check out (one cashier open, no self check outs) and the newer cashier was polite.

Pricing at Bashas was kind of all over the map....
The local residents are divided between the "aww, how sad Bashas' is closing" camp and the "typical greedy company wants to cash out" camp. Of course, there is the usual banter about the scourge of Starbucks opening, etc.

The interesting thing about Bashas' throwing in the towel is the original structure appears to be remaining and will house Sprouts, which is opening in August. Also looks like the former Osco next door is staying intact. Not sure why Bashas' didn't simply combine the two buildings into a mega Bashas or an AJ's. Then again, the only reason they are remodeling the Uptown Plaza AJ's is the landlord threatened to evict them if they didn't renovate the store.

SamSpade wrote: February 13th, 2017, 10:42 pm...This store is also catty corner to a Lifestyle Safeway that is in good condition although it has no self check out and 2 small express registers. It had the Albertsons lighting "upgrade" to its perimeter. I decided to go there to buy sparkling water. While La Croix was priced high at both stores ($4.99/12), Refreshe was the same 4 for $10 as it is in Portland....
That and the Safeway on Camelback east of Biltmore mall are my favorite Safeways. The clientele at the Osborne/7th Ave store can be a bit interesting, but it is a nice store with very good variety. I rode my bike there for the first time a few weeks ago and saw the back up close and personal. Very cool that they just kept adding on.
SamSpade wrote: February 13th, 2017, 10:42 pm...Unfortunately on this visit, I didn't make it to Food City (wanted to, good ad specials)...
Based on my experience at the 44th/McDowell Food City you didn't miss much.
SamSpade wrote: February 13th, 2017, 10:42 pm...or AJ's or Fry's. My local friend does all the shopping at Trader Joe's (same pricing as Portland, same Fearless Flyer, approximately same store layout) or SuperTarget.
I like AJ's, but their stores are variable. Most of them need an update, but the meat and produce are very good.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

What AJ's needs in a competitor (like Gelson's), they are the only "upscale" chain in Arizona-Whole Foods maybe comes closest. Which is also why Bashas' still thrives in a state with major competitors- they are the only chain willing to go into Indian Reservations and remote towns like Bagdad and Morenci.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I don't think Gelson's would make it in Arizona with its pricing.

Most markets don't really have an upscale operator... AJ's is a bit of an oddball. I also don't think those AJ's Stores are particularly high volume outside their meat, bakery, deli, and prepared foods/coffee areas.

I'm not sure I'd agree that Bashas is thriving either. They seem to be surviving...
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote: February 13th, 2018, 9:39 pm I don't think Gelson's would make it in Arizona with its pricing.

Most markets don't really have an upscale operator... AJ's is a bit of an oddball. I also don't think those AJ's Stores are particularly high volume outside their meat, bakery, deli, and prepared foods/coffee areas.

I'm not sure I'd agree that Bashas is thriving either. They seem to be surviving...
All 3 of Bashas banners have better than average perimeters. They also tend to have good, attentive employees. Their stores were neglected for a while but as they have shrunk, they have invested more money into the physical condition of the remaining stores.

That said, all 3 banners suffer with center store pricing. AJ's pricing is beyond ridiculous. Bashas and Food City center store pricing is better but still higher than Albertsons/Safeway pricing.

I really like the deli at my nearest Bashas (better deli than my nearby Fry's, Safeway, Sprouts, SuperTarget, Walmart, and Winco). However, as I have a Bashas, Fry's, Safeway, Sprouts, SuperTarget, Smart and Final Extra, Walmart, and Winco within 10 minutes of my house I generally only buy deli items at Bashas and do all of my remaining shopping elsewhere.