New Albertsons open in Las Vegas

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

New Albertsons open in Las Vegas

Post by CalItalian »

rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: New Albertsons open in Las Vegas

Post by rwsandiego »

Interesting how they used the LLC interior when they also have the newer Modern (Florida) and Shaw's (Colorful Lifestyle) interiors in their decor repertoire.

Perhaps they have a warehouse full of LLC components and don't want to waste them.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

& stained concrete floors. 8-)
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

rwsandiego wrote:Interesting how they used the LLC interior when they also have the newer Modern (Florida) and Shaw's (Colorful Lifestyle) interiors in their decor repertoire.

Perhaps they have a warehouse full of LLC components and don't want to waste them.
It seems like for the most part, Albertsons-bannered stores are still being remodeled to the LLC decor. The main exceptions seem to be in markets where another banner is more dominant (particularly in parts of the west coast), and the stores could be set up to change banners down the road.

At this point, Albertsons is clearly the stronger banner in Las Vegas. Although Vons has some successful locations in the market, their overall store tally trails Albertsons substantially. If the recent Denver conversions are any indication, Albertsons is not afraid to consolidate banners when there is a compelling reason to do so.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote:Interesting how they used the LLC interior when they also have the newer Modern (Florida) and Shaw's (Colorful Lifestyle) interiors in their decor repertoire.

Who knows. There were a few smaller ACME stores that Albertsons remodeled to Premium Fresh & Healthy 3.0 even as LLC remodels were in full force. There will be LLC openings and remodels, but I think LLC is on its way out. We'll see when they open that flagship Jewel-Osco they were talking about. I'm more interested in the fact that those produce pricetags look unlike what Safeway and Albertsons usually offer.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

architect wrote:

It seems like for the most part, Albertsons-bannered stores are still being remodeled to the LLC decor. The main exceptions seem to be in markets where another banner is more dominant (particularly in parts of the west coast), and the stores could be set up to change banners down the road.

At this point, Albertsons is clearly the stronger banner in Las Vegas. Although Vons has some successful locations in the market, their overall store tally trails Albertsons substantially. If the recent Denver conversions are any indication, Albertsons is not afraid to consolidate banners when there is a compelling reason to do so.
The interesting thing is "colorful lifestyle" began at Shaw's, which was an Albertsons banner before the Safeway merger.
pseudo3d wrote:Who knows. There were a few smaller ACME stores that Albertsons remodeled to Premium Fresh & Healthy 3.0 even as LLC remodels were in full force. There will be LLC openings and remodels, but I think LLC is on its way out. We'll see when they open that flagship Jewel-Osco they were talking about. I'm more interested in the fact that those produce pricetags look unlike what Safeway and Albertsons usually offer.
I like PFH v 3.0 better than the LLC interior. It will be interesting to see what the flagship Jewel looks like. The Southport store in Lakeview and the Kinzie/Desplaines store in River West have custom interiors that are a brown and copper riff on a combo of PFH 2.0 and Colorful Lifestyle. Both were built prior to the Safeway merger. I have to find the pics I took and post them in the Midwest forum.

All that being said, this shopper will be glad when the LLC interior goes away. Someo f the early versions, such as the one in Palm Springs, were quite nice. However, the current version simply isn't.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote:
architect wrote:

The interesting thing is "colorful lifestyle" began at Shaw's, which was an Albertsons banner before the Safeway merger.
pseudo3d wrote:Who knows. There were a few smaller ACME stores that Albertsons remodeled to Premium Fresh & Healthy 3.0 even as LLC remodels were in full force. There will be LLC openings and remodels, but I think LLC is on its way out. We'll see when they open that flagship Jewel-Osco they were talking about. I'm more interested in the fact that those produce pricetags look unlike what Safeway and Albertsons usually offer.
I like PFH v 3.0 better than the LLC interior. It will be interesting to see what the flagship Jewel looks like. The Southport store in Lakeview and the Kinzie/Desplaines store in River West have custom interiors that are a brown and copper riff on a combo of PFH 2.0 and Colorful Lifestyle. Both were built prior to the Safeway merger. I have to find the pics I took and post them in the Midwest forum.

All that being said, this shopper will be glad when the LLC interior goes away. Someo f the early versions, such as the one in Palm Springs, were quite nice. However, the current version simply isn't.
Is the "hybrid" interior the Yorkville interior, which looks a bit like a cross between TX/FL and LLC? [https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jewel-osco-bensenville]

The Jewel-Osco store that I referred to as a "flagship" is the replacement to an older J/O they knocked down for an apartment complex (Clark and Division). They compare it to Mariano's and WFM despite the relatively small (45k) square footage. TBH, it will probably end up having TX/FL decor. [http://www.progressivegrocer.com/resear ... cago-store]

So right now we have 5 décor sets being "active" in Albertsons/Safeway (not counting United Supermarkets).

- Lifestyle (despite being a decade old, still found in NorCal new-builds, reported Vons remodels)
- LLC (Jewel, Acme, Albertsons brands)
- "Color Lifestyle" (Albertsons that were or may be converted to Safeway, Safeway, one prototype Shaw's)
- "TX/FL" (currently only found in Houston/South, Florida--all either converted to Safeway or Safeway-owned brands)
- New Pavilions (Pavilions)

...and that's not counting old packages still kicking around (notably PF&H) and inherited sets from other stores (I think that late-model Furr's/Raleys with the red ceilings is still intact, A&P, likely others).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:
architect wrote:

Is the "hybrid" interior the Yorkville interior, which looks a bit like a cross between TX/FL and LLC? [https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/jewel-osco-bensenville]
No, it is completely different. Here are two pics from the Kinzie store:

pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

rwsandiego wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:

Wow! Amazing! Probably my favorite of the current décor sets. It does have the TX/FL color scheme (including "street names") but far nicer. Until today, I didn't realize Jewel-Osco still had the Pier 14 name.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:

Wow! Amazing! Probably my favorite of the current décor sets. It does have the TX/FL color scheme (including "street names") but far nicer. Until today, I didn't realize Jewel-Osco still had the Pier 14 name.
Yup - the bakery is still the Bake Shop, meat is still Butcher Block (although "Meat" is also used. sadly "Farmstand" stayed with SVU. Chef's Kitchen seems to be used sporadically.

The Kinzie store interior pre-dates the FL and TX stores. Jewel has had brown interiors since 1997. The so-called Albertsons Marketplace interior started at Jewel while under ASC ownership. While I'm not sure that it was the first store to have it, the first store I saw it at was the behemoth Howard and Kedzie store in Evanston. It was remodeled into that decor package after being in business 2 or 3 years.

I can't find the pics I took at the Southport store. Similar concept, but different font and colored backgrounds for the department signs. Also, different aisle signs but they have the street names. It also pre-dates the FL and TX interior.