A Lifestyle Decor Party (Bedford Fiesta Photos)

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: A Lifestyle Decor Party (Bedford Fiesta Photos)

Post by architect »

SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:But would Tom Thumb want it given that they have already walked away from the store in the past? I am guessing there was a reason they were willing to give this one up.

Of course, they did reopen the Tom Thumb a few miles north that also became a Sun Fresh and which was later acquired by H-E-B and then back full circle to Tom Thumb - so maybe they will do the same here.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing how any of the Tom Thumb stores stay in business except for the ones that happen to be the only store in their area. The stores are not particularly special and the prices are breathtakingly high. Central Market is considered an upscale, high end grocer - yet their prices are consistently lower than Tom Thumb on comparable items. And Albertsons is even worse - their stores tend to be a bit worn out looking and their prices are every bit as high as Tom Thumb. Presumably enough people do shop there as they manage to keep their doors open - though on the infrequent occasions I stop in one because I have a last minute need for something and that is all that is close to wherever I am I rarely see more than a handful of other customers.. Given all the proliferating alternatives, I don't see how they can keep going in the long run unless something changes. And if H-E-B ever enters the market - they are doomed.

I wonder if that location would be a possible fit for Sprouts? The nearest one is about 5 to 7 miles and a good number of stop lights away near Colleyville. I am guessing that the radius a Sprouts draws from is wider than a conventional supermarket - so maybe they would regard that as too close. I also noticed that a large former Tom Thumb in southwest Fort Worth has been converted into a giant Specs liquor store. Not sure if liquor sales are legal in Bedford or not - but, if so, perhaps that would be something that could go in.
For clarification, the FTC made Albertsons divest this store; if they did not divest this location, they likely would have been required to divest multiple other surrounding stores to make up for the market share impact. Sprouts would be an interesting tenant in this space; it is definitely right-sized for their format (considering that it is small for a traditional grocer these days) and the demographics would likely work well too. The fact that it would give them a store directly on the 121 corridor would be huge plus.

And I definitely agree with your analysis of Tom Thumb/Albertsons; it amazes me that they have been able to largely maintain their overall market share. A combination of high prices, understaffed sales floors and drab/outdated stores is almost always a recipe for disaster. I think the one thing that has kept them afloat is the fact that many established neighborhoods in North Dallas and wealthy northern suburbs such as Richardson and Plano have little traditional grocer competition, or at the most Kroger locations which are somewhat underwhelming. Meanwhile, in Houston, HEB is taking out Randalls' remaining stronghold neighborhoods by their willingness to navigate complex land acquisition and develop urban formats which work well in established neighborhoods. If HEB enters DFW, the Albertsons death knoll will definitely begin without some major turnaround work.
SoleOwnerOfMyName
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoleOwnerOfMyName »

architect wrote:
SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:But would Tom Thumb want it given that they have already walked away from the store in the past? I am guessing there was a reason they were willing to give this one up.

Of course, they did reopen the Tom Thumb a few miles north that also became a Sun Fresh and which was later acquired by H-E-B and then back full circle to Tom Thumb - so maybe they will do the same here.

Honestly, I have a hard time seeing how any of the Tom Thumb stores stay in business except for the ones that happen to be the only store in their area. The stores are not particularly special and the prices are breathtakingly high. Central Market is considered an upscale, high end grocer - yet their prices are consistently lower than Tom Thumb on comparable items. And Albertsons is even worse - their stores tend to be a bit worn out looking and their prices are every bit as high as Tom Thumb. Presumably enough people do shop there as they manage to keep their doors open - though on the infrequent occasions I stop in one because I have a last minute need for something and that is all that is close to wherever I am I rarely see more than a handful of other customers.. Given all the proliferating alternatives, I don't see how they can keep going in the long run unless something changes. And if H-E-B ever enters the market - they are doomed.

I wonder if that location would be a possible fit for Sprouts? The nearest one is about 5 to 7 miles and a good number of stop lights away near Colleyville. I am guessing that the radius a Sprouts draws from is wider than a conventional supermarket - so maybe they would regard that as too close. I also noticed that a large former Tom Thumb in southwest Fort Worth has been converted into a giant Specs liquor store. Not sure if liquor sales are legal in Bedford or not - but, if so, perhaps that would be something that could go in.
For clarification, the FTC made Albertsons divest this store; if they did not divest this location, they likely would have been required to divest multiple other surrounding stores to make up for the market share impact. Sprouts would be an interesting tenant in this space; it is definitely right-sized for their format (considering that it is small for a traditional grocer these days) and the demographics would likely work well too. The fact that it would give them a store directly on the 121 corridor would be huge plus.

And I definitely agree with your analysis of Tom Thumb/Albertsons; it amazes me that they have been able to largely maintain their overall market share. A combination of high prices, understaffed sales floors and drab/outdated stores is almost always a recipe for disaster. I think the one thing that has kept them afloat is the fact that many established neighborhoods in North Dallas and wealthy northern suburbs such as Richardson and Plano have little traditional grocer competition, or at the most Kroger locations which are somewhat underwhelming. Meanwhile, in Houston, HEB is taking out Randalls' remaining stronghold neighborhoods by their willingness to navigate complex land acquisition and develop urban formats which work well in established neighborhoods. If HEB enters DFW, the Albertsons death knoll will definitely begin without some major turnaround work.

Speaking of 121 I think the location along 121 was a bit of a missed opportunity for Fiesta. That highway is traveled every day by many thousands of people who live in Fort Worth and work in Irving/Los Colinas. I wonder how many of them were even aware that a Fiesta was located at that exit.

The rear and part of the side of the store is visible to northbound traffic on 121 - and most often in the morning people in the traffic are stuck in place at that spot. But there were no signs for the store that were visible from the freeway. If I were Fiesta I would have put up the largest and loudest sign local codes would have allowed to draw attention to the fact that a Fiesta was there. My guess is if more people knew that the store was there, it would have resulted in additional traffic from people who needed to pick something up on their way home from work or perhaps prefer to do their weekly shopping while waiting for the traffic to die down a bit.

As for Tom Thumb and Albertsons - back in the day I had high regard for both. But time passed them by as the world changed while the inept management in charge of both chains did nothing.

When I first moved to Fort Worth from Dallas in the early 1990s, in many respects including with grocery stores I felt as if I had moved into a twenty year old time warp. The city was very much lacking in the sort of large, modern supermarkets I was used to in Dallas. The dominant grocer in Fort Worth at that time was Winn Dixie which was mostly operating out of tiny and ageing 1960s stores that had previously been Buddies before Winn Dixie acquired the chain and entered the market. The stores were not only rinky dink they were expensive (though at some point Winn Dixie changed their pricing policy and became price competitive). There were a couple of Tom Thumbs - but one was a tiny old Safeway near TCU and both were expensive as, at the time, Tom Thumb was considered upscale. The only Krogers were way out on the edge of town - the one on South Hulen which recently closed and the one on Camp Bowie West at Loop 820. There was a Skaggs Alpah Beta - but it was a bit too pricey for my limited budget at the time.

When Albertsons expanded from Dallas County into Tarrant County - I was thrilled in the same way I would be today if somebody told me that H-E-B was finally opening in Fort Worth. At that time, Albertsons had low prices. Their stores were not as interesting as Tom Thumb in terms of having specialty items to explore. But the stores had a wide selection and were affordable - which I suspect is why they became number one in the market.

All of that started to change when that alleged wonder kid from GE took over the chain - the guy who eventually ran it into the ground and sold it off in pieces. At about the same time that Walmart was getting into the grocery business and under cutting everybody else on price Albertsons responded to price competition by raising its prices. The whole point of going to Albertsons verses other places was the prices. Without the low prices - why go there?

Meanwhile, in order to differentiate themselves from Walmart, pretty much everybody started stocking specialty food items and chains such as Whole Foods and Central Market began to emerge and grow. And while this was happening, Tom Thumb essentially stood still. What was considered upscale and special in 1990 no longer was.

In a way, both chains remind me of the rinky dink old 1960s Winn Dixe stores that dominated Fort Worth when I came here. The antiquated Winn Dixies managed to survive because they were people's existing default and the chains in Dallas with more modern stores and better prices had not yet made much effort to enter the Fort Worth market. But once they did enter Winn Dixie declined rapidly and scrambled to build more modern stores before eventually giving up altogether. Substitute Albertsons/Tom Thumb for Winn Dixie and H-E-B for the chains in Dallas and I think one has a similar situation.

Being equated with Winn Dixie - that shows just how far Albertsons and Tom Thumb have fallen in the Metroplex.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:
architect wrote:

Speaking of 121 I think the location along 121 was a bit of a missed opportunity for Fiesta. That highway is traveled every day by many thousands of people who live in Fort Worth and work in Irving/Los Colinas. I wonder how many of them were even aware that a Fiesta was located at that exit.

The rear and part of the side of the store is visible to northbound traffic on 121 - and most often in the morning people in the traffic are stuck in place at that spot. But there were no signs for the store that were visible from the freeway. If I were Fiesta I would have put up the largest and loudest sign local codes would have allowed to draw attention to the fact that a Fiesta was there. My guess is if more people knew that the store was there, it would have resulted in additional traffic from people who needed to pick something up on their way home from work or perhaps prefer to do their weekly shopping while waiting for the traffic to die down a bit.

As for Tom Thumb and Albertsons - back in the day I had high regard for both. But time passed them by as the world changed while the inept management in charge of both chains did nothing.

When I first moved to Fort Worth from Dallas in the early 1990s, in many respects including with grocery stores I felt as if I had moved into a twenty year old time warp. The city was very much lacking in the sort of large, modern supermarkets I was used to in Dallas. The dominant grocer in Fort Worth at that time was Winn Dixie which was mostly operating out of tiny and ageing 1960s stores that had previously been Buddies before Winn Dixie acquired the chain and entered the market. The stores were not only rinky dink they were expensive (though at some point Winn Dixie changed their pricing policy and became price competitive). There were a couple of Tom Thumbs - but one was a tiny old Safeway near TCU and both were expensive as, at the time, Tom Thumb was considered upscale. The only Krogers were way out on the edge of town - the one on South Hulen which recently closed and the one on Camp Bowie West at Loop 820. There was a Skaggs Alpah Beta - but it was a bit too pricey for my limited budget at the time.

When Albertsons expanded from Dallas County into Tarrant County - I was thrilled in the same way I would be today if somebody told me that H-E-B was finally opening in Fort Worth. At that time, Albertsons had low prices. Their stores were not as interesting as Tom Thumb in terms of having specialty items to explore. But the stores had a wide selection and were affordable - which I suspect is why they became number one in the market.

All of that started to change when that alleged wonder kid from GE took over the chain - the guy who eventually ran it into the ground and sold it off in pieces. At about the same time that Walmart was getting into the grocery business and under cutting everybody else on price Albertsons responded to price competition by raising its prices. The whole point of going to Albertsons verses other places was the prices. Without the low prices - why go there?

Meanwhile, in order to differentiate themselves from Walmart, pretty much everybody started stocking specialty food items and chains such as Whole Foods and Central Market began to emerge and grow. And while this was happening, Tom Thumb essentially stood still. What was considered upscale and special in 1990 no longer was.

In a way, both chains remind me of the rinky dink old 1960s Winn Dixe stores that dominated Fort Worth when I came here. The antiquated Winn Dixies managed to survive because they were people's existing default and the chains in Dallas with more modern stores and better prices had not yet made much effort to enter the Fort Worth market. But once they did enter Winn Dixie declined rapidly and scrambled to build more modern stores before eventually giving up altogether. Substitute Albertsons/Tom Thumb for Winn Dixie and H-E-B for the chains in Dallas and I think one has a similar situation.

Being equated with Winn Dixie - that shows just how far Albertsons and Tom Thumb have fallen in the Metroplex.
Much as I'd like to discuss the Dallas grocery scene, I don't want to derail this thread because it's about the Bedford Fiesta. I quoted your post because it all seems oddly familiar to me.
SoleOwnerOfMyName
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoleOwnerOfMyName »

pseudo3d wrote:
SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:
architect wrote:

Much as I'd like to discuss the Dallas grocery scene, I don't want to derail this thread because it's about the Bedford Fiesta. I quoted your post because it all seems oddly familiar to me.
Wow! I do recall writing that. I don't know what is more amazing - that you actually found it memorable or the fact that it has now been over nine years since I wrote it. Actually, the nine years part is more frightening than it is amazing.

I can't say that I still have the same strong desire for Fry's or a MicroCenter in Fort Worth anymore. I still prefer to buy computers at a brick and mortar store - but Amazon Prime takes care of the lesser sort of gadgets I used to buy and enjoy browsing through at such stores. My current wish is for an H-E-B. I really want a nearby H-E-B.

Also on that same message board is my lengthy rant about a bad experience I had at the nasty Minyard that used to exist on Camp Bowie. I actually think that posting is more memorable than the one you recalled.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
SoleOwnerOfMyName wrote:

Wow! I do recall writing that. I don't know what is more amazing - that you actually found it memorable or the fact that it has now been over nine years since I wrote it. Actually, the nine years part is more frightening than it is amazing.

I can't say that I still have the same strong desire for Fry's or a MicroCenter in Fort Worth anymore. I still prefer to buy computers at a brick and mortar store - but Amazon Prime takes care of the lesser sort of gadgets I used to buy and enjoy browsing through at such stores. My current wish is for an H-E-B. I really want a nearby H-E-B.

Also on that same message board is my lengthy rant about a bad experience I had at the nasty Minyard that used to exist on Camp Bowie. I actually think that posting is more memorable than the one you recalled.
I wasn't there when you wrote it but I do remember reading about a few years ago a description of the FW Winn-Dixie stores as "rinky dink".
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I think I read that the other Fiesta that was acquired from MSFM was closed as well (3630 Forest Lane). Seems like a pretty ill-fated acquisition if you ask me...
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Yesterday, I passed by the Bedford store and noticed that the "For Lease" signs has been removed from the front on the property and the boarded windows had been painted black. In addition, the real estate listing for the property is no longer online, indicating that the property has been sold/leased. Early next year, we should be able to find out who the new owner is based on tax records, if nothing happens to the site prior to then.

Also, the Forest (Dallas) store is still listed on CBRE's website, so it is still likely on the market.