Raleys re-tiles cement floor in Incline Village, NV

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Raleys re-tiles cement floor in Incline Village, NV

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys did a major remodel on its Incline Village Store about four years ago. This is a late 70's store that was expanded in the mid 90's and has been remodeled 3 times now.

As part of the last remodel, the tile floor was removed and a cement floor put in place. The cement floor was pretty ugly with a lot of glue marks.

Today I was in this store and to my surprise they were in the process of re-flooring the store. They are installing dark wood-colored regular tiles in produce and gray tiles (which look awfully similar to the garbage that Albertsons installed in the Florida Safeways) in center store that already looked dirty when newly installed. It will be interesting to see how this looks when it is done.

I am glad to see another chain going away from the ugly cement floors.
pseudo3d

Re: Raleys re-tiles cement floor in Incline Village, NV

Post by pseudo3d »

Funny you should say this--in 2009, when my local Walmart started to renovate and expand to a Supercenter, the drop ceilings and tiles in the store weren't removed but replaced (though the grocery side was warehouse ceilings/floors), now that they're renovating again, the tile is being removed, and the floors are concrete in the GM side.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

I like concrete floors when the store starts with fresh concrete that is stained and sealed before installing shelving and fixtures. When a remodel results in glue- and shelf-marked concrete. It looks horrible and unappetizing. They could at least put a layer of fresh concrete over the marred floor and stain it. It would require closing off parts of the store while the concrete dries and sets, but would look a lot better.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:Funny you should say this--in 2009, when my local Walmart started to renovate and expand to a Supercenter, the drop ceilings and tiles in the store weren't removed but replaced (though the grocery side was warehouse ceilings/floors), now that they're renovating again, the tile is being removed, and the floors are concrete in the GM side.
That's a pretty unusual - and costly - move, especially for Walmart. All the instances where you see this, the original GM part of the store was built as a Division 1 Discount store, and the Supercenter side was added, thus the drop ceiling on the GM side, and the open ceiling over grocery. It's very expensive and hazardous to remove the drop ceiling, as there are usually years worth of artifacts, dust and materials up there.
rwsandiego wrote:I like concrete floors when the store starts with fresh concrete that is stained and sealed before installing shelving and fixtures. When a remodel results in glue- and shelf-marked concrete. It looks horrible and unappetizing. They could at least put a layer of fresh concrete over the marred floor and stain it. It would require closing off parts of the store while the concrete dries and sets, but would look a lot better.
This is 100% true. Stores that remodel have to do a great deal of work to either redo the floors, or remove the glue and years of wax and cleaning residue. It's a lot of work, but if done correctly, it looks good. Unfortunately, in a working store, it's very hard to do correctly. Also, if you do it from the beginning and have to redo concrete (as my local Super 1 Foods did 2 years after opening), you have to carefully match what was original to the newly laid concrete. Otherwise you have light/dark spots where the concrete is redone.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:Funny you should say this--in 2009, when my local Walmart started to renovate and expand to a Supercenter, the drop ceilings and tiles in the store weren't removed but replaced (though the grocery side was warehouse ceilings/floors), now that they're renovating again, the tile is being removed, and the floors are concrete in the GM side.
That's a pretty unusual - and costly - move, especially for Walmart. All the instances where you see this, the original GM part of the store was built as a Division 1 Discount store, and the Supercenter side was added, thus the drop ceiling on the GM side, and the open ceiling over grocery. It's very expensive and hazardous to remove the drop ceiling, as there are usually years worth of artifacts, dust and materials up there.
From what I've seen, even some of the converted stores (regular to Supercenter) don't have the drop ceiling in the main store (I hope you didn't misinterpret me--the drop ceiling in the old section was replaced with new tile and fixtures, but it was never removed). The local store in question was a bit strange anyway, as just seven years after opening, it expanded slightly and moved the entrance to the store to the far right of the store (the old space became the pharmacy/HBA area, and was a bit oddly laid out, probably because it was where the old entrance was). Then when the store was expanded again, the new GM entrance was created in the old pharmacy area (plus a third entrance near the garden center, which was fully fenced in), and of course the grocery area, which featured a concrete floor (it was remodeled to Project Impact v1). Now the store is being renovated for a third time (at the rate they're doing it, it should've been remodeled in 2001, but they were holding out to moving the store to a Supercenter...they couldn't physically expand due to an Albertsons next to it, but then when LLC took it over, they sold the store to Walmart, which demolished part of the building to build). I just thought it was strange that when they added the grocery section, the floor tile in the GM side was changed but not removed, only for it to be removed in the remodel now (so the whole store has concrete floors).

It's an interesting store, I should write a post about it here.
Super S

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:
wnetmacman wrote:
From what I've seen, even some of the converted stores (regular to Supercenter) don't have the drop ceiling in the main store (I hope you didn't misinterpret me--the drop ceiling in the old section was replaced with new tile and fixtures, but it was never removed). The local store in question was a bit strange anyway, as just seven years after opening, it expanded slightly and moved the entrance to the store to the far right of the store (the old space became the pharmacy/HBA area, and was a bit oddly laid out, probably because it was where the old entrance was). Then when the store was expanded again, the new GM entrance was created in the old pharmacy area (plus a third entrance near the garden center, which was fully fenced in), and of course the grocery area, which featured a concrete floor (it was remodeled to Project Impact v1). Now the store is being renovated for a third time (at the rate they're doing it, it should've been remodeled in 2001, but they were holding out to moving the store to a Supercenter...they couldn't physically expand due to an Albertsons next to it, but then when LLC took it over, they sold the store to Walmart, which demolished part of the building to build). I just thought it was strange that when they added the grocery section, the floor tile in the GM side was changed but not removed, only for it to be removed in the remodel now (so the whole store has concrete floors).

It's an interesting store, I should write a post about it here.
The Walmart closest to me, built in the mid-1990s, closed for about a year for a supercenter conversion several years back. They completely removed the drop ceiling from this one and pretty much gutted the entire store. They also placed new HVAC units on the roof using helicopters. They did keep white tile intact throughout the store, although I am not sure if it was old tile that was kept or if new tile was put down. However, there are others in the region where the drop ceiling was retained over the main store.

Fred Meyer has been removing drop ceilings completely during most remodels in recent years. However, I know of one, Mill Plain in Vancouver, where they removed the old drop ceiling, and installed a new drop ceiling including the grid, along with all new recessed lighting. I am not sure what factors determine whether or not to reinstall or keep drop ceilings though.