Brookshire's closing 3 DFW-area stores

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Brookshire's closing 3 DFW-area stores

Post by architect »

Yesterday, Brookshire's announced in a memo to employees that three stores around the DFW area will be closing in late July, in Wylie, Ennis and Forest Hill. This continues the company's general retreat from the DFW area.

Personally, I find this not unexpected, but disappointing nonetheless. The Wylie store is clearly past its prime, challenged by both intense competition (a Kroger Marketplace, an Albertsons turned Tom Thumb, and multiple Walmarts now all operate in close proximity) along with a lack of investment in the store. I am not surprised that it is closing. Similarly, the Forest Hill store is a former Winn-Dixie operating under the Super 1 Foods banner which is in a generally stagnant and aging area. Although this is the only grocery store serving the immediate neighborhood, it is an area which simply does not have the economics to support any type of traditional grocer.

On the other hand, I find the Ennis store somewhat surprising. This store opened in 2013, replacing a nearby Super 1 Foods. This store must have been performing very poorly for the company to pull out so soon. I guess that the combination of HEB and Walmart locally was simply too much competition for them to handle.

News Release: http://www.kltv.com/story/35738735/inte ... ign=buffer
pseudo3d

Re: Brookshire's closing 3 DFW-area stores

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:Yesterday, Brookshire's announced in a memo to employees that three stores around the DFW area will be closing in late July, in Wylie, Ennis and Forest Hill. This continues the company's general retreat from the DFW area.

Personally, I find this not unexpected, but disappointing nonetheless. The Wylie store is clearly past its prime, challenged by both intense competition (a Kroger Marketplace, an Albertsons turned Tom Thumb, and multiple Walmarts now all operate in close proximity) along with a lack of investment in the store. I am not surprised that it is closing. Similarly, the Forest Hill store is a former Winn-Dixie operating under the Super 1 Foods banner which is in a generally stagnant and aging area. Although this is the only grocery store serving the immediate neighborhood, it is an area which simply does not have the economics to support any type of traditional grocer.

On the other hand, I find the Ennis store somewhat surprising. This store opened in 2013, replacing a nearby Super 1 Foods. This store must have been performing very poorly for the company to pull out so soon. I guess that the combination of HEB and Walmart locally was simply too much competition for them to handle.

News Release: http://www.kltv.com/story/35738735/inte ... ign=buffer
Forest Hill looks like a large retail area that never really panned out resulting in a smattering of fast food restaurants and the supermarket with an overly large parking lot facing...nothing.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

My previous response shows why I shouldn't attempt to read posts from my phone, because architect said all of that before.

But I will reiterate a few things:

Brookshire tried to take over the D/FW Metroplex, getting in when Safeway initially bailed in 1987. They bought a good number of stores, including several outside the area, with stores in Marshall, Gilmer, Greenville and Longview. More on that to come.

The Metroplex stores did well initially, because Brookshire's namesake stores (Super 1 was 5 stores in 1987) were much like Safeway, so the stores they got essentially got better bakeries and some decent service.

After, Super 1 Foods began propelling the company. 2 of the stores (Longview and Greenville) were redone into Super 1 Foods immediately. They were wildly popular, though immensely small. There were times you couldn't navigate the meat department in Longview. BGC took that as an opportunity to expand, getting another Longview store in 1990, and during the 90's converting the Marshall acquisition into Super 1 as well. Those stores do extremely well even today, though both Longview stores were replaced in 1991 and 1992, respectively with larger locations. So BGC got big britches and decided to try to conquer Dallas.

Oops. Big mistake. Dallas wasn't ready for them, and Super 1 wasn't ready for Dallas' inner city mentality. They surrounded the city in the more affluent areas, and the stores didn't take off. In 2000-01, they sold the 7 stores to Fleming, who rebranded them as Rainbow. They didn't last long, and neither did Fleming, because they went under in 2002 or so when Kmart bailed on them.

Having said that, one of these stores closing is a Super 1 Foods in Forest Hill, operating in an old Winn Dixie. It hasn't done well, with most pictures showing an empty parking lot on Google Maps.

If you read down in the article from Brad Brookshire, you'll see that 3 stores are under conversion. 2 of them are the Brookshire's stores in Natchitoches, LA (a BGC original and a former Albertsons). The third is the original Marshall Brookshire's. All 3 will soon be Super 1 Foods, and are reflected in their store locator. It seems that outside Tyler, Super 1 is the banner that's winning customers. A new store recently opened in Scott, LA, and another will soon open in Youngsville, LA (both are suburbs of Lafayette; Scott is West of town, Youngsville is South. Carencro's Super 1 north of town is the current prototype).

Ennis is still a surprise to me, as it replaced a Super 1 Foods that was in an old Gibson's; it was the first Super 1 in Texas.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

wnetmacman wrote:My previous response shows why I shouldn't attempt to read posts from my phone, because architect said all of that before.

But I will reiterate a few things:

Brookshire tried to take over the D/FW Metroplex, getting in when Safeway initially bailed in 1987. They bought a good number of stores, including several outside the area, with stores in Marshall, Gilmer, Greenville and Longview. More on that to come.

The Metroplex stores did well initially, because Brookshire's namesake stores (Super 1 was 5 stores in 1987) were much like Safeway, so the stores they got essentially got better bakeries and some decent service.

After, Super 1 Foods began propelling the company. 2 of the stores (Longview and Greenville) were redone into Super 1 Foods immediately. They were wildly popular, though immensely small. There were times you couldn't navigate the meat department in Longview. BGC took that as an opportunity to expand, getting another Longview store in 1990, and during the 90's converting the Marshall acquisition into Super 1 as well. Those stores do extremely well even today, though both Longview stores were replaced in 1991 and 1992, respectively with larger locations. So BGC got big britches and decided to try to conquer Dallas.

Oops. Big mistake. Dallas wasn't ready for them, and Super 1 wasn't ready for Dallas' inner city mentality. They surrounded the city in the more affluent areas, and the stores didn't take off. In 2000-01, they sold the 7 stores to Fleming, who rebranded them as Rainbow. They didn't last long, and neither did Fleming, because they went under in 2002 or so when Kmart bailed on them.

Having said that, one of these stores closing is a Super 1 Foods in Forest Hill, operating in an old Winn Dixie. It hasn't done well, with most pictures showing an empty parking lot on Google Maps.

If you read down in the article from Brad Brookshire, you'll see that 3 stores are under conversion. 2 of them are the Brookshire's stores in Natchitoches, LA (a BGC original and a former Albertsons). The third is the original Marshall Brookshire's. All 3 will soon be Super 1 Foods, and are reflected in their store locator. It seems that outside Tyler, Super 1 is the banner that's winning customers. A new store recently opened in Scott, LA, and another will soon open in Youngsville, LA (both are suburbs of Lafayette; Scott is West of town, Youngsville is South. Carencro's Super 1 north of town is the current prototype).

Ennis is still a surprise to me, as it replaced a Super 1 Foods that was in an old Gibson's; it was the first Super 1 in Texas.
If 2002 was the year when Brookshire's realized Dallas wasn't working out, why did they purchase so many Winn-Dixie stores (of which Forest Hill was) in 2002 when they pulled out?
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote:If 2002 was the year when Brookshire's realized Dallas wasn't working out, why did they purchase so many Winn-Dixie stores (of which Forest Hill was) in 2002 when they pulled out?
2002 was the year they realized Super 1 wasn't working in Dallas. Brookshire's still did well at that point, but they were all in the suburbs. They still stretch to Sweetwater, well past the Metroplex.