2017 DFW Market Share Data

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

2017 DFW Market Share Data

Post by architect »

On Friday, the Dallas Morning News released a breakdown of market share data for DFW grocers, comparing this year's data to last year's.

Source: https://www.dallasnews.com/business/ret ... s-doorstep

A few observations:

1. Based on market share gain, Kroger and Winco are the big winners this year. Kroger's continued investment in new stores and remodels seems to be paying off well, while a more active marketing effort seems to be helping Winco. Walmart seems to be holding steady, meaning that both Kroger and Winco are likely pilfering shoppers from other chains.

2. Although the article attempts to paint Tom Thumb's market share increase as a success, this does not tell the full story. Four new stores were added, yet their market share on a percentage per store basis noticeably trails Kroger. Also, Albertsons' market share dropped substantially, while Market Street remained flat (at a low 1%). In total, Albertsons' banners lost a decent amount of market share this year, and now officially trail Kroger slightly at 13.2% vs 13.6% for Kroger.

3. Whole Foods gained a decent amount of market share, which is interesting. Although one new (high profile) store was added in Richardson at CityLine (this was the only DFW store added in 2016, the DMN data is incorrect as the most recent previous DFW opening was in 2015 in Uptown), Whole Foods has done very little from a marketing standpoint that would point to a market share increase to that magnitude. I wonder if an influx of potential shoppers from states such as California could be having an impact here?

4. Curiously, Trader Joe's market share dipped slightly. Honestly, I am a bit surprised that their numbers still hover so low, as their DFW stores seem to be well trafficked whenever I visit. Their development of new stores has slowed down substantially over the last couple of years, so maybe they are waiting to announce additional stores until some of the market shakeouts taking place clam down a bit. Also, one of their high-traffic stores along Lower Greenville in Dallas could have witnessed a temporary sales dip due to extensive construction which made traffic in the area almost unbearable for months.

5. I wonder who the primary beneficiaries from the Minyard shutdown have been? My guess is that Fiesta's market share increases have primarily occurred at the traditional Minyard stores, where there is often little competition nearby. The two converted Sun Fresh stores are likely a different story.