AWG shuttering Fort Worth facility, consolidating with OKC

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
cathandler
Front-End Supervisor
Front-End Supervisor

AWG shuttering Fort Worth facility, consolidating with OKC

Post by cathandler »

architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: AWG shuttering Fort Worth facility, consolidating with OKC

Post by architect »

This is not surprising, considering the downfall of Minyard/Sun Fresh, one of AWG's most visible clients, along with Albertsons' shift to self distribution in the region. I wonder who the "unspecified buyer" is? Personally hoping that it's HEB, although that is a long shot!
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

So who supplies Fiesta?

I am surprised to see AWG pull back. This is very unlike AWG... they have always been very opportunistic. I guess they just couldn't find any more business...

They are also picking up various former customers of Central in IL/IN so maybe they have decided that area is more ripe for the picking.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:This is not surprising, considering the downfall of Minyard/Sun Fresh, one of AWG's most visible clients, along with Albertsons' shift to self distribution in the region. I wonder who the "unspecified buyer" is? Personally hoping that it's HEB, although that is a long shot!
While H-E-B is possible, as far as I know, Albertsons still occupies part of the facility (slightly different address in the same complex) when they sold it to AWG ten years ago as the HQ for the South division (Tom Thumb never had offices in the DC, from what I could tell, they had regional offices operated from the second floor of a former Simon David, much how Randalls will likely take an unused second floor area for their regional offices)...which of course would make for strange bedfellows (plus H-E-B likes to have their divisional offices at the DC, so for H-E-B to take the facility, Albertsons would have to take off). From Loopnet, it doesn't look like Albertsons used all of the Tom Thumb DC (it's very large, and probably more than Tom Thumb needed) and I don't know if that's changed when adding the Houston division stores. Knowing this, it's also possible that Albertsons will get rid of the Tom Thumb DC and buy back their former FW facility.
storewanderer wrote:So who supplies Fiesta?

I am surprised to see AWG pull back. This is very unlike AWG... they have always been very opportunistic. I guess they just couldn't find any more business...

They are also picking up various former customers of Central in IL/IN so maybe they have decided that area is more ripe for the picking.
Fiesta is and was supplied by Grocers Supply Co. out of Houston, which until they sold to C&S, owned Fiesta during most of the 2000s.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:This is not surprising, considering the downfall of Minyard/Sun Fresh, one of AWG's most visible clients, along with Albertsons' shift to self distribution in the region. I wonder who the "unspecified buyer" is? Personally hoping that it's HEB, although that is a long shot!
While H-E-B is possible, as far as I know, Albertsons still occupies part of the facility (slightly different address in the same complex) when they sold it to AWG ten years ago as the HQ for the South division (Tom Thumb never had offices in the DC, from what I could tell, they had regional offices operated from the second floor of a former Simon David, much how Randalls will likely take an unused second floor area for their regional offices)...which of course would make for strange bedfellows (plus H-E-B likes to have their divisional offices at the DC, so for H-E-B to take the facility, Albertsons would have to take off). From Loopnet, it doesn't look like Albertsons used all of the Tom Thumb DC (it's very large, and probably more than Tom Thumb needed) and I don't know if that's changed when adding the Houston division stores. Knowing this, it's also possible that Albertsons will get rid of the Tom Thumb DC and buy back their former FW facility.
Actually, to add another twist, it appears that operations at the Tom Thumb DC in Roanoke were being expanded late last year, based on a Google Maps photo (screenshot below). However, it seems that the division offices are being kept in FW for now, as a move to Roanoke likely would have been announced at the same time as the Randalls DC closure. I definitely agree on the HEB front; I don't see them moving in unless if Albertsons moves out. However, based on the sale announcement, the buyer would likely have the ability to kick out Albertsons at needed anyway. This is going to be an interesting situation to watch, that's for sure.

Also, speaking of the Randalls offices potentially moving, have any announcements been made on that front? If the Briarpark offices were to be vacated completely, then the loyalty cards for both Randalls and Tom Thumb would likely have to be reissued/eliminated, as that address is listed as the mailing address for lost keys on the back of the cards.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
Actually, to add another twist, it appears that operations at the Tom Thumb DC in Roanoke were being expanded late last year, based on a Google Maps photo (screenshot below). However, it seems that the division offices are being kept in FW for now, as a move to Roanoke likely would have been announced at the same time as the Randalls DC closure. I definitely agree on the HEB front; I don't see them moving in unless if Albertsons moves out. However, based on the sale announcement, the buyer would likely have the ability to kick out Albertsons at needed anyway. This is going to be an interesting situation to watch, that's for sure.

Also, speaking of the Randalls offices potentially moving, have any announcements been made on that front? If the Briarpark offices were to be vacated completely, then the loyalty cards for both Randalls and Tom Thumb would likely have to be reissued/eliminated, as that address is listed as the mailing address for lost keys on the back of the cards.
Keep in mind that the center started expanding BEFORE the closure of the Houston DC was ever announced (at least initially), but the expansion in Roanoke makes it less likely that Albertsons would move back to its old stomping grounds in Fort Worth. My guess is that it's not a grocery retailer at all, and thus wouldn't have a problem with Albertsons still staying there, hence no news on if it's moving. More than likely, the sale to AWG probably had a lease written that AWG couldn't just sell the entire building to a third party and throw Albertsons out on the street at least without some negotiations.

This probably has nothing to do with Albertsons or H-E-B at all but rather one of the aftereffects of AWG's merger with Affiliated Food Midwest in October of last year.

As for Randalls offices, I don't think it would make a huge difference in cards (though on some cards, even newly issued have Simon David...)
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Update on the AWG Fort Worth distribution sale: I drove by the property earlier today and it has been purchased by a logisitcs company called Hogan, which had ads by the street announcing upcoming hiring needs. That's all folks, nothing else grocery-related to be seen here.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: November 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm Update on the AWG Fort Worth distribution sale: I drove by the property earlier today and it has been purchased by a logisitcs company called Hogan, which had ads by the street announcing upcoming hiring needs. That's all folks, nothing else grocery-related to be seen here.
That's what I would have guessed, and due to Albertsons' presence in the center, I don't think it would be any other food distributor.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: November 5th, 2017, 6:33 am
architect wrote: November 4th, 2017, 10:45 pm Update on the AWG Fort Worth distribution sale: I drove by the property earlier today and it has been purchased by a logisitcs company called Hogan, which had ads by the street announcing upcoming hiring needs. That's all folks, nothing else grocery-related to be seen here.
That's what I would have guessed, and due to Albertsons' presence in the center, I don't think it would be any other food distributor.
Actually, Albertsons completely moved out too. There were only around 10 or so trucks present, all either generic or owned by Hogan.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: November 5th, 2017, 6:51 am
pseudo3d wrote: November 5th, 2017, 6:33 am
Actually, Albertsons completely moved out too. There were only around 10 or so trucks present, all either generic or owned by Hogan.
Trucks wouldn't matter since they've only had offices there since 2007. The distribution center is in Roanoke, but the offices are in that building or at least were as of February.