Store Locations Closed by Hurricane Harvey in Houston Area

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Store Locations Closed by Hurricane Harvey in Houston Area

Post by CalItalian »

CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Store Locations Closed by Hurricane Harvey in Houston Area

Post by CalItalian »

Another new story with a few click through pictures of long lines in a H-E-B
http://www.chron.com/business/retail/ar ... 045456.php
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Based on this list, the closed Randalls locations are at (plus any comments on any locations which might be particularly affected):

- 5800 New Territory Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77479 (directly adjacent to the Brazos River, likely either in a mandatory or voluntary flood area)
- 5130 Bellaire Blvd, Bellaire, TX 77401 (store likely affected by flooding to some degree, as this was one of the hardest hit areas of Houston)
- 4800 W Bellfort Ave, Houston, TX 77035 (same as above)
- 3131 W Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77025 (store might be okay, but access to the site was likely hampered by flooded roads)
- 5161 San Felipe St, Houston, TX 77056
- 12850 Memorial Dr, Houston, TX 77024
- 18322 Clay Rd, Houston, TX 77084 (much of surrounding area has been evacuated due to release from the Addicks Reservoir)
- 12312 Barker Cypress Rd, Cypress, TX 77429 (heavy flooding in surrounding neighborhoods today likely making access difficult)
- 2323 Clear Lake City Blvd, Houston, TX 77062
- 600 Kingwood Dr, Kingwood, TX 77339
- 4540 Kingwood Dr, Kingwood, TX 77345 (parking lot of HEB across the street is heavily flooded, thought both stores appear to be okay for now)

It will be interesting to see if Randalls is able to open all of these stores fairly quickly, or if any sustained major damages which require a lengthy closure. I expect that any marginal stores may simply be closed rather than repaired.

As far as Kroger and HEB go, I fully expect that most area stores will reopen as any necessary repairs are made as both companies are clearly committed to the Houston market. The one notable exception will likely be the HEB at 5417 S Braeswood Blvd, as it is a small pantry store which was heavily flooded in the Tax Day floods of 2016 (and closed for an extended period), and is likely flooded again. It would not surprise me to see HEB call it quits on this location.

Overall, staffing seems to be the biggest issue for grocers looking to reopen right now. Many chains are having to limit the number of customers in a store at a particular time in order to prevent the employees from being far outnumbered by shoppers.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote:
Based on this list, the closed Randalls locations are at (plus any comments on any locations which might be particularly affected):

- 5800 New Territory Blvd, Sugar Land, TX 77479 (directly adjacent to the Brazos River, likely either in a mandatory or voluntary flood area)
- 5130 Bellaire Blvd, Bellaire, TX 77401 (store likely affected by flooding to some degree, as this was one of the hardest hit areas of Houston)
- 3131 W Holcombe Blvd, Houston, TX 77025 (store might be okay, but access to the site was likely hampered by flooded roads)
- 18322 Clay Rd, Houston, TX 77084 (much of surrounding area has been evacuated due to release from the Addicks Reservoir)
- 12312 Barker Cypress Rd, Cypress, TX 77429 (heavy flooding in surrounding neighborhoods today likely making access difficult)
- 4540 Kingwood Dr, Kingwood, TX 77345 (parking lot of HEB across the street is heavily flooded, thought both stores appear to be okay for now)

It will be interesting to see if Randalls is able to open all of these stores fairly quickly, or if any sustained major damages which require a lengthy closure. I expect that any marginal stores may simply be closed rather than repaired.

As far as Kroger and HEB go, I fully expect that most area stores will reopen as any necessary repairs are made as both companies are clearly committed to the Houston market. The one notable exception will likely be the HEB at 5417 S Braeswood Blvd, as it is a small pantry store which was heavily flooded in the Tax Day floods of 2016 (and closed for an extended period), and is likely flooded again. It would not surprise me to see HEB call it quits on this location.

Overall, staffing seems to be the biggest issue for grocers looking to reopen right now. Many chains are having to limit the number of customers in a store at a particular time in order to prevent the employees from being far outnumbered by shoppers.
- Bellaire was redecorated though may not be able to last long with the H-E-B coming. Bellaire isn't a particularly good store, I should know.
- Memorial Drive should be okay, it was built adjacent to a depressed freeway which collected the water
- Clay Road is near the Addicks Reservoir and is probably nearly impossible to access
- Barker Cypress is also near an area where the freeway is slightly depressed

We don't know how much damage these stores received, and some don't appear to have any damage, just access problems. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised if at least one store is abandoned, I know Macy's and Dillard's abandoned a store each during Ike.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:
architect wrote:

- Bellaire was redecorated though may not be able to last long with the H-E-B coming. Bellaire isn't a particularly good store, I should know.
- Memorial Drive should be okay, it was built adjacent to a depressed freeway which collected the water
- Clay Road is near the Addicks Reservoir and is probably nearly impossible to access
- Barker Cypress is also near an area where the freeway is slightly depressed

We don't know how much damage these stores received, and some don't appear to have any damage, just access problems. That being said, I wouldn't be too surprised if at least one store is abandoned, I know Macy's and Dillard's abandoned a store each during Ike.
Based on flood maps, it appears that the Bellaire, Bellfort Holcombe and Clear Lake City stores are all within or immediately adjacent to the 100 year floodplain, so it would not surprise me to see flood damage at any of these stores. Memorial, Barker Cypress, and Clay Road are all likely closed simply due to access issues, as they are almost entirely boxed in by floodplain areas. I am not sure about the rest.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

The last time I went to the Braeswood H-E-B (I had missed it before it flooded in 2015, not 2016--so I missed out on the original early 1990s decor), it seemed fairly popular. I imagine it can be repaired again, since it's super-cheap to operate and there's not much competition. Down the road is a Food Town (formerly Albertsons) also near the bayou, and that's a little more dubious. It's not in a good part of town (H-E-B's is much nicer) and I imagine that it could be closed for a longer time.

Holcombe does pretty well (it had Quest Diagnostics) and I imagine it will be reopened. Bellaire is probably screwed when H-E-B opens, but it might be worth reopening, especially if flooding is minimal. Galveston is also probably flooded out too.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Long line at Kroger this morning (video)
http://abc13.com/shopping/line-for-groc ... g/2354953/
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote:Bellaire is probably screwed when H-E-B opens, but it might be worth reopening, especially if flooding is minimal. Galveston is also probably flooded out too.
Bellaire will be interesting to watch, as this store really doesn't over the long haul. Interestingly, HEB has listed the former Bellaire store in their current list of store closures, likely due tot he fact that some shoppers may have not realized that the store was being reconstructed.

As far as the Galveston Randalls goes, it is surprisingly open. However, I imagine that product is sparse due to the fact that all roads leading to Galveston are still pretty much impassible at this point.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Three HEB stores have been extensively damaged in the Houston area and will be closed for some time for repairs. These include the Meyerland and Kingwood locations, along with a Joe V's in the eastern part of the city.

http://m.chron.com/news/houston-weather ... 158961.php