Fiesta acquired by CA based El Super

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Fiesta acquired by CA based El Super

Post by architect »

klkla

Re: Fiesta acquired by CA based El Super

Post by klkla »

I didn't see this one coming but it makes sense. El Super is pretty strong here in SoCal and should be able to make improvements to Fiesta based on their experience. At a price of $4.7 million per store they got a fairly decent deal.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm not really surprised about this. Fiesta's ownership has been bounced like a bad volleyball game for several years now. I hope this one can make some improvements. Some of the Fiesta stores in Houston are getting dated, and are in a massive need of an upgrade, especially for the business they draw. I was there in February, and several of the stores need work.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I like the Fiesta neon stores, but some of the stores are in desperate need of an update, especially the ones acquired from AppleTree in the mid-1990s and actually originally Safeway stores from the mid-1970s. My fear is that El Super (El Super is actually owned by a Mexican company) will just make Fiesta like any other "Hispanic" grocer and dump the quirky "international" items that Fiesta carried.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: March 26th, 2018, 7:45 pm My fear is that El Super (El Super is actually owned by a Mexican company) will just make Fiesta like any other "Hispanic" grocer and dump the quirky "international" items that Fiesta carried.
You're probably right. I was reading the Yelp reviews about El Super (which were not very good) and the common theme is that they are very basic Latino stores with mediocre to bad customer service but with aggressive pricing. That doesn't sound like Fiesta.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote: March 26th, 2018, 7:56 pm
pseudo3d wrote: March 26th, 2018, 7:45 pm My fear is that El Super (El Super is actually owned by a Mexican company) will just make Fiesta like any other "Hispanic" grocer and dump the quirky "international" items that Fiesta carried.
You're probably right. I was reading the Yelp reviews about El Super (which were not very good) and the common theme is that they are very basic Latino stores with mediocre to bad customer service but with aggressive pricing. That doesn't sound like Fiesta.
Ell Super opened in a former Albertsons located in the heavily Hispanic San Diego neighborhood of City Heights. Residents were not happy.Four years later the store still gets very poor Yelp reviews.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

rwsandiego wrote: March 26th, 2018, 8:42 pm
Ell Super opened in a former Albertsons located in the heavily Hispanic San Diego neighborhood of City Heights. Residents were not happy.Four years later the store still gets very poor Yelp reviews.
Speaking of Albertsons, this could be very good situation for them. If El Super manages to botch their acquisition and integration of Fiesta, it could put the Hispanic market up for grabs and make El Rancho ripe for expansion.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

architect wrote: March 26th, 2018, 8:49 pm

Speaking of Albertsons, this could be very good situation for them. If El Super manages to botch their acquisition and integration of Fiesta, it could put the Hispanic market up for grabs and make El Rancho ripe for expansion.
Excellent point. The initial criticism in San Diego surrounded their labor issues and the notion the community was losing its only full-line food and drug store. (This was a true combo store, much like a Jewel-Osco) Now, the poor reviews seem to focus on the poor condition of the stores.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: March 27th, 2018, 6:25 pm
Excellent point. The initial criticism in San Diego surrounded their labor issues and the notion the community was losing its only full-line food and drug store. (This was a true combo store, much like a Jewel-Osco) Now, the poor reviews seem to focus on the poor condition of the stores.
El Super seems to operate with fairly low standards. They remind me of Kroger Food 4 Less with lower prices on perishables, higher prices on center store, and MUCH worse customer service. With that said they seem to be a pretty effective operator (high volume stores) and to be fair if there was one in my area, I'd likely make it a stop once or twice a month if for no other reason than for some of the very low priced produce.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: March 27th, 2018, 8:29 pm
rwsandiego wrote: March 27th, 2018, 6:25 pm

El Super seems to operate with fairly low standards. They remind me of Kroger Food 4 Less with lower prices on perishables, higher prices on center store, and MUCH worse customer service. With that said they seem to be a pretty effective operator (high volume stores) and to be fair if there was one in my area, I'd likely make it a stop once or twice a month if for no other reason than for some of the very low priced produce.
You would L-O-O-O-O-V-E this place in Chicago. Check out the sign in pic 23.

Keep in mind the prices are very inexpensive for the North Side of Chicago.