Tom Thumb Express

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
pseudo3d

Tom Thumb Express

Post by pseudo3d »

It looks like the new-style "Albertsons Express" in Idaho is spreading to other divisions, including former Safeway stores. Also, unless there's something I'm missing, did Tom Thumb not have full convenience stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?!

https://csnews.com/grocer-tom-thumb-wil ... ence-store
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Tom Thumb Express

Post by architect »

pseudo3d wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm Also, unless there's something I'm missing, did Tom Thumb not have full convenience stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?!

At least two Tom Thumb stores have has full convenience stores that I know of: the Green Oaks/Collins store in Arlington and the Cartright/Pioneer store in Mesquite (the latter which even appears to have received a form of Lifestyle decor). There are also several more fuel centers scattered around both DFW and in Randalls territory with mini convenience stores, consisting of essentially just a cashier counter along with items for purchase lining the remaining walls. It is interesting to see Albertsons making such a big splash over this new location (despite the fact that it does actually seem out of place in it's neighborhood, as the surrounding area is quickly going vertical). This almost reminds me of when Kroger made a splash over their convenience store in College Station; advertising it as the first in the state despite operating other convenience stores elsewhere (particularly in the Houston market, which were acquired from Albertsons).
pseudo3d

Re: Tom Thumb Express

Post by pseudo3d »

architect wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 8:32 pm
pseudo3d wrote: June 22nd, 2018, 12:27 pm Also, unless there's something I'm missing, did Tom Thumb not have full convenience stores in the Dallas-Fort Worth area?!

At least two Tom Thumb stores have has full convenience stores that I know of: the Green Oaks/Collins store in Arlington and the Cartright/Pioneer store in Mesquite (the latter which even appears to have received a form of Lifestyle decor). There are also several more fuel centers scattered around both DFW and in Randalls territory with mini convenience stores, consisting of essentially just a cashier counter along with items for purchase lining the remaining walls. It is interesting to see Albertsons making such a big splash over this new location (despite the fact that it does actually seem out of place in it's neighborhood, as the surrounding area is quickly going vertical). This almost reminds me of when Kroger made a splash over their convenience store in College Station; advertising it as the first in the state despite operating other convenience stores elsewhere (particularly in the Houston market, which were acquired from Albertsons).
Technically those stores in Houston were Kwik Shops, and I've heard arguments (before they sold off the c-store division) that they were not actually part of the Southwest/Houston division.

I wouldn't call the small booths with candy and cigarettes convenience stores by a long shot.