SuperTarget - Phoenix: A Review

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

SuperTarget - Phoenix: A Review

Post by SamSpade »

Visited a SuperTarget store in Phoenix after needing a computer mouse unexpectedly (and too late to pick up a cheap-o one at Goodwill or similar). Also needed some groceries. As I wasn't in charge of transportation, ended up at Super Target.

First off, this Super Target wasn't much more than a pFresh Target. Basically, optical (leased department), a deli where there is a clerk 9 am to 8 pm to slice meat and cheese, and a deeper selection of produce, bakery, and meat than a pFresh Target. Hours are really reasonable at 8 am to 11 pm 7 days a week.

It looked like they offer donuts but I bet they are premade and thawed. There were Valentine's Day baked goods out on the bakery shelves already. The rest of the area looked like a typical Target grocery aisle area to me with the exception of maybe carrying a few more SKUs in each brand.

Pricing wise they were competitive, I looked at my Walmart grocery app today (reset to a store in this market) and the small basket I purchased would have been about the same cost.

Curiosities:
Only self check was open at either door. As my friend said, "can you imagine coming through here in the evening with a full basket? You'd be so frustrated."

The plastic bag was thin like most grocers and Walmart. In my home market, Target either has heavier plastic bags (not quite the California 10c'ers) or paper bags with rattan handles.

Irritant:
To purchase beer, the clerk scanned the ID barcode on my state-issued ID. Target is probably collecting additional information from that beyond just an "over 21" stamp of approval. In the future I'll be sure to decline.

Rumor:
My friend says they don't offer Google or Apple Pay because they want you enrolled in the Target programs. I suppose this could explain Walmart Pay as well. I have yet to see one of the Kroger stores with the new Chase Pay feature.
babs
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: SuperTarget - Phoenix: A Review

Post by babs »

SamSpade wrote: January 14th, 2019, 12:38 pm
To purchase beer, the clerk scanned the ID barcode on my state-issued ID. Target is probably collecting additional information from that beyond just an "over 21" stamp of approval. In the future I'll be sure to decline.

Scanning the bar code serves two purposes. It ensures that the clerk did not accidentally enter the wrong birthdate into POS. Second, a lot of fake IDs don't have barcodes or they are incorrect. It's another check against fake IDs.

It's very unlikely they are using this to collect additional customer data.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

babs wrote: January 14th, 2019, 2:56 pm

Scanning the bar code serves two purposes. It ensures that the clerk did not accidentally enter the wrong birthdate into POS. Second, a lot of fake IDs don't have barcodes or they are incorrect. It's another check against fake IDs.

You took the words right out of my mouth, @babs. DMVs are very protective of the information they allow third parties to use. I don't think Target is collecting it for marketing purposes. Likewise when CVS scans a license in conjunction with the sale of a product containing pseudoephedrine.

Quick question for @SamSpade: Which SuperTarget did you visit? The closest SuperTarget to me is at ChrisTown Spectrum, but I rarely shop there. It isn't exactly "close" to me. I usually shop at Arcadia Crossing (44th and Thomas), Tempe Marketplace, or the Uptown Flexible Format store.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

rwsandiego wrote: January 14th, 2019, 4:55 pm

You took the words right out of my mouth, @babs. DMVs are very protective of the information they allow third parties to use. I don't think Target is collecting it for marketing purposes. Likewise when CVS scans a license in conjunction with the sale of a product containing pseudoephedrine.

Quick question for @SamSpade: Which SuperTarget did you visit? The closest SuperTarget to me is at ChrisTown Spectrum, but I rarely shop there. It isn't exactly "close" to me. I usually shop at Arcadia Crossing (44th and Thomas), Tempe Marketplace, or the Uptown Flexible Format store.
I'm curious as well.

I regularly shop at SuperTarget at 7th St. / Bell Rd. as it's a couple blocks from my house.

I find that pricing on some items is reasonable but I shop at Fry's probably the most (as they tend to have the best pricing for items I buy the most). I actually use SuperTarget a lot when I need a "quick" grocery trip as their grocery department is condensed to one side of the building and I use self checkout.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Rumor:
My friend says they don't offer Google or Apple Pay because they want you enrolled in the Target programs. I suppose this could explain Walmart Pay as well. I have yet to see one of the Kroger stores with the new Chase Pay feature.
Target is testing Google and Apple Pay and Tap Cards at a few stores, notably in San Francisco.

Supposedly it will roll out chainwide in the coming months. We will see.

With more card issuers doing the Tap cards I expect we will see these last few stores get on board. I can use Tap literally everywhere I go except for Kroger and a number of restaurants. Wal Mart or Kroger will be the two holdouts and it will be interesting to see who caves in first; I expect it will be Kroger. Wal Mart is about the only merchant in Canada who doesn't accept Tap. Eventually the card networks will force all of these retailers in the US to accept Tap payments as they have already in some other countries.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

arizonaguy wrote: January 14th, 2019, 8:22 pm

I'm curious as well.

I regularly shop at SuperTarget at 7th St. / Bell Rd. as it's a couple blocks from my house.

I find that pricing on some items is reasonable but I shop at Fry's probably the most (as they tend to have the best pricing for items I buy the most). I actually use SuperTarget a lot when I need a "quick" grocery trip as their grocery department is condensed to one side of the building and I use self checkout.
You use SuperTarget the way I use the Uptown flex format Target. Mostly I shop at Safeway because it is a mile away and I can walk it when the weather is nice. There are several empty lots near my apartment complex in Downtown Phoenix that would make a perfect location for a Target on the first floor of a residential building, much like the Fry's going up on 1st/2nd/Washington/Jefferson.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Thanks other posters, makes me feel a bit better. Yes, it was the ChrisTown SuperTarget.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

SamSpade wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:56 pm

Thanks other posters, makes me feel a bit better. Yes, it was the ChrisTown SuperTarget.
NOT my favorite Target, super or otherwise. The clientele can be a bit dicey and the neighborhood isn't great, either. The SuperTarget at 7th Street and Bell is much nicer.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

rwsandiego wrote: January 15th, 2019, 10:48 pm
SamSpade wrote: January 15th, 2019, 7:56 pm

NOT my favorite Target, super or otherwise. The clientele can be a bit dicey and the neighborhood isn't great, either. The SuperTarget at 7th Street and Bell is much nicer.
Interesting history. Both the SuperTarget at ChrisTown and the SuperTarget at 7th St. and Bell are replacements of older stores.

The ChrisTown SuperTarget replaced a former Globe Shopping City turned FedMart turned Target at 7th Ave. / Camelback. The building was built in the 1960s and then renovated in the 1970s or 1980s when it became a FedMart.

The 7th St. and Bell SuperTarget replaced a former Target (really unique looking store, it may have been something else before it was Target) https://i1.ypcdn.com/blob/8d6c209c29428 ... 31_640.jpg. Historic aerials show that building was built in 1986-1988.

Neither of them make much sense as SuperTarget but both opened after Walmart converted or relocated nearby stores to Supercenters. I wouldn't be surprised if both got de-Supered during their next renovations.

ChrisTown isn't a neighborhood I'd expect to have "self-checkout only" checkstands. I went to a Target in Auburn Hills, MI (much better neighborhood than ChrisTown's) that didn't even have any self-checkout.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Not sure if this is the best forum to put this in, but during my last Phoenix visit, I ended up in more stores -
a) Bashas': good all around full-service experience. No online pickup/ordering/etc but maybe they have a more "distinguished" customer. Excellent bakery. Clean and friendly butcher counter. Nice to have a store making things from scratch! No gimmicks that I saw.
Food Club and Top Care store labels.

b) AJ's: Very expensive, not really my cup of tea. Seemed to be selling a high volume of iced teas out of their bakery, partially because they have multiple types, will add fresh fruit, etc. They use China Mist, which I really find tasty. Pricing on that was in line with traditional Bashas' but other things were much higher. This would be comparable to Zupans' in the Portland, Ore. market, many of the Gelson's in Los Angeles, Metropolitan Market in Seattle-Tacoma.

c) Walmart: While not buying groceries here, I was able to peek at some of the prices of items I'd bought at Bashas'. They were lower. The store I was in was in good condition, despite the largely empty mall adjacent.

d) Fry's: I didn't make it into Fry's, but my friends had a lot of items from there. I got a birthday cupcake, and while it was nice looking, I would have seen the same thing on the bakery shelves of Smith's or Fred Meyer. A lot of food coloring/shortening in that frosting. Not sure on prices.

e) Sprouts: Found out that Sprouts is HQ'ed in Phoenix. The one that took over where a previous Bashas' and burned out drug store existed is several steps above the previous store. Nice experience. I would seriously consider spending some money there / trying things out. I got a little kick out of the paper saving 2-sided receipt.

f) Safeway: Needed a litre or two of carbonated water, stopped in here. No self checkout. Tired lifestyle store. Needs a 'colorful' or 'Florida' lift in my opinion, especially in Scottsdale.

g) 99c Only Stores - Interesting. Definitely fill a gap. Could be a nice opportunity for fresher foods / access to "raw" ingredients in certain communities. Not quite a grocer, but much nicer than Dollar Tree or Family Dollar in terms of 'nourishing' food items. Had to use a coin to get a cart, like Aldi.

Prices -
Opal apples were on special at Bashas' for $0.99/lb (first 4 lbs). At AJ's they were not and cost $2.99/lb. 2 pounds at 99c only for $1.99 :|

Peanut butter, jelly - $1.99 for store label at Bashas'. Comparable jam was $2.49 on "sale" at Safeway. Comparable peanut butter was $2.99 at Safeway. :roll: Both these items were less expensive than Bashas' at Walmart.

Ketchup/mustard/mayonnaise - decent off brand items at 99c only for $1 containers. Walmart had some options around the $1 price point, including name brand. Intentionally skipped buying at Bashas' (not sure what prices were there). Safeway had no $1 options, but OK prices on larger quantity jars.

Store-made sausage links in meat counter: $3.99/lb at Sprouts, $5.99 AJ's.

King Cake (different styles though): $7.99 Bashas', $29.99 AJs (!) which was marked down to $9.99 after Ash Wednesday

Cuties: 2 packages for $5 at Sprouts (could purchase one at sale price)