SuperTarget - Phoenix: A Review

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: SuperTarget - Phoenix: A Review

Post by rwsandiego »

SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm Not sure if this is the best forum to put this in, but during my last Phoenix visit, I ended up in more stores -
a) Bashas': good all around full-service experience. No online pickup/ordering/etc but maybe they have a more "distinguished" customer. Excellent bakery. Clean and friendly butcher counter. Nice to have a store making things from scratch! No gimmicks that I saw.
Food Club and Top Care store labels...
Bashas' is variable. The one closest to me (7th Street and Missouri - not really "close") is so-so, but other locations are better.
SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm...
b) AJ's: Very expensive, not really my cup of tea. Seemed to be selling a high volume of iced teas out of their bakery, partially because they have multiple types, will add fresh fruit, etc. They use China Mist, which I really find tasty. Pricing on that was in line with traditional Bashas' but other things were much higher. This would be comparable to Zupans' in the Portland, Ore. market, many of the Gelson's in Los Angeles, Metropolitan Market in Seattle-Tacoma....
Not a fan of AJ's, but they do have good sushi and I've heard the Italian food is good. Their Central and Camelback location is newly-remodeled and pretty nice. Other locations look like an homage to the 1990s.
SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm...
c) Walmart: While not buying groceries here, I was able to peek at some of the prices of items I'd bought at Bashas'. They were lower. The store I was in was in good condition, despite the largely empty mall adjacent.

d) Fry's: I didn't make it into Fry's, but my friends had a lot of items from there. I got a birthday cupcake, and while it was nice looking, I would have seen the same thing on the bakery shelves of Smith's or Fred Meyer. A lot of food coloring/shortening in that frosting. Not sure on prices.....
Not being price-sensitive (single man with two cats) I don't always pay attention to price, but their prices on fruit are usually better than Safeway. Not a fan of the bakery or produce (other than fruit).
SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm...e) Sprouts: Found out that Sprouts is HQ'ed in Phoenix. The one that took over where a previous Bashas' and burned out drug store existed is several steps above the previous store. Nice experience. I would seriously consider spending some money there / trying things out. I got a little kick out of the paper saving 2-sided receipt....
That's a nice Sprouts. Almost brand-new. They have started remodeling their stores to look like the one you visited. I like their stores in Phoenix better than the ones we had in San Diego (former Henry's and before that Boney's). The thing about Sprouts is their produce rots quickly and you have to watch the expiration dates, However, they do carry some interesting foods.
SamSpade wrote: March 14th, 2019, 8:56 pm...f) Safeway: Needed a litre or two of carbonated water, stopped in here. No self checkout. Tired lifestyle store. Needs a 'colorful' or 'Florida' lift in my opinion, especially in Scottsdale....
They are s-l-o-w-l-y remodeling the Safeways here. Which one did you go to? The one on Chaparral and Hayden is pretty tired-looking, but has a nice product mix and a bar. There is at least one on Scottsdale Road that look promising on the outside but are disappointing inside.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

N. Scottsdale Rd. and E Pinnacle Peak Rd. It's in front of a wash and across the street from the delicious Egg n' Joe.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

SamSpade wrote: March 17th, 2019, 10:49 am N. Scottsdale Rd. and E Pinnacle Peak Rd. It's in front of a wash and across the street from the delicious Egg n' Joe.
That isn't the one I was thinking of, but based on the Google pics it does fall under the "looks promising on the outside but disappoints on the inside" category.