New Albertsons for Alamogordo

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

New Albertsons for Alamogordo

Post by storewanderer »

This would also be the first new build store for LLC.

http://www.sierrastar.com/2012/11/21/60 ... on-to.html
KingU8ol0Soopers
Subject Matter Expert
Subject Matter Expert

Re: New Albertsons for Alamogordo

Post by KingU8ol0Soopers »

I don't think that's the right link... ;)

Here's a link that does make more sense:http://www.alamogordonews.com/ci_220461 ... albertsons
Forum Moderator
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.alamogordonews.com/alamogord ... rs-january?

It looks like this store will be opening. Interestingly it is being opened by United. So it isn't really even an Albertsons, rather, a United Store with the Albertsons sign out front. Very interesting. I wonder which interior it got.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

storewanderer wrote:http://www.alamogordonews.com/alamogord ... rs-january?

It looks like this store will be opening. Interestingly it is being opened by United. So it isn't really even an Albertsons, rather, a United Store with the Albertsons sign out front. Very interesting. I wonder which interior it got.
Looking online, it appears that this store got the recent Albertsons LLC decor package (which is also what recent new build ACMEs have been receiving).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I got to visit this store. It comes off like a fairly standard 2004-2005 era Albertsons build as far as layout goes. Fixtures, etc. all appear to be Albertsons stuff. The cash registers and shelf tags must be United because they sure aren't the Safeway system. I've seen a number of stores in SoCal with this layout.

The store as noted is a United Store. It appears the store is struggling to some extent. But I am not quite sure of the nature of what is going on. Or United is unable to merchandise a perimeter to the standard that Albertsons LLC would have done it (kind of doubt this based on Market Street and based on what I saw up in Ruidoso but that's for another post). Part of the deli case is covered with a large sign cling sticker (reminds me of Save Mart and Food Lion), and other parts of the case are filled with mock party trays (really does not look good). Even the parts that had product were not very full looking such as the bowls of deli potato/pasta salads which were VERY spread out. It is a very large case, however. Similar situation with bakery; mock stuff filling part of the cases designed to house fresh product. Bakery looked quite weak in this store but they did have a few of the real Albertsons bakery items (muffins and cookies). Produce and deli both looked okay, meat looked good but there wasn't a ton out.

Pricing is DRASTICALLY lower than a standard Southwest Division Albertsons (such as those nearby in Las Cruces or El Paso). Product mix is also drastically different with various regional brands, much less private label, and what I would describe as a much stronger center store package than the usual Albertsons or Safeway operation offers (the pricing is a lot of why I say this program is so much better; this was competitive with what I am used to at Smith's back home if not even cheaper, though they did not appear to have many deep discount/loss leader type ad specials going like Smiths does).

Center store also had quite a few poorly stocked areas and was not very clean. The store, in general, had a rather dead vibe despite the fact I was in there mid day. I was there right after I walked the competitor down the block "Lowe's Signature Market" which was very alive with a dozen patrons in the bar, at least 10-15 employees in deli/bakery and very heavy customer counts all over the store and I cannot believe Lowe's can put out a store of that caliber after my previous experiences with that chain in places like Albuquerque and Espanola. http://www.theshelbyreport.com/2017/01/ ... t-profile/

There is also a new Wal Mart Neighborhood Market in Alamogordo that appears to have opened very recently which I expect has taken a chunk of business from the Albertsons store based on the trade area. Interesting chain of events that Albertsons opening in Alamogordo set off... seems like both Wal Mart and Lowe's reacted to keep them at bay...

Overall I think the United model should have been what Albertsons as a company followed, and that includes the systems. Not the Safeway model they seem to be following.