Gelsons opening first of former Haggen locations January 14

California. No non-grocery posts.
Forum rules
klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Re: Gelsons opening first of former Haggen locations January 14

Postby klkla » July 22nd, 2017, 2:59 pm

They included leased Medicine Shoppe pharmacies in a 1996 build in Calabasas and a 1997 build in Northridge (which closed five years ago).

There are quite a few stores that are either free standing or in shopping centers without pharmacies.

Shopping centers with no pharmacies:
Century City, La Canada-Flintridge, Marina Del Rey, Santa Barbara, Sherman Oaks, Tarzana and Westlake Village.

Free standing:
Encino, Hollywood, Pacific Beach, Pacific Palisades, North Hollywood, and West Hollywood.

So lots of opportunities to add pharmacies if they go in that direction.

SoCalShopper1023
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby SoCalShopper1023 » July 23rd, 2017, 11:16 pm

Just to make a small correction to the previous poster, the La Cañada store actually does have a Rite Aid in the same shopping center.

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby klkla » July 24th, 2017, 3:43 pm

Oops. Thanks for the correction.

CalItalian
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby CalItalian » August 23rd, 2017, 11:24 pm

Thousand Oaks Grand Opening is September 22nd (although there may be a soft opening prior)
https://www.toacorn.com/articles/gelson ... aks-store/

klkla
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Postby klkla » September 7th, 2017, 5:22 pm

I was driving past the Santa Monica location on Monday (Labor Day) so I decided to stop by and see how the remodel is progressing. I think they are trying to set a record for the longest lasting remodel in supermarket history (17 months at this point since the store opened).

They have resumed the project but don't seem to be in a big hurry and seem to just be doing one or two things at a time. When I visited this store six months ago they had built the new cheese shop and added a sushi and poki (raw bar) section to the service meat and seafood department. Since then they have removed about 20 feet of five-deck refrigeration from produce and replaced it with bulk foods. They have also built a juice station in produce. That's all they have completed in the last six months.

There were two sections of the store walled-off and clearly construction is happening in those locations. One is in the middle of the store and is going to be a wine & craft beer bar. At least that was the plan when they had signs around the store promoting the remodel earlier. Those signs have since been removed. The other project is at the front of the store (in front of the checkstands). I would guess they are probably moving floral to that location.

The store wasn't particularly busy. Three cashiers open and no lines. Maybe 20 customers in the store at around 5:00 P.M.

Return to “California USA”