Ralphs El Segundo to become Fresh Fare

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Ralphs El Segundo to become Fresh Fare

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote:
CalItalian wrote:El Segundo also contains one of the few non-ghetto 99 Cents Only stores. It's a pleasure to shop in that store (which also has concrete floors and is attached to a 3-story parking garage). The Rite Aid in El Segundo was also recently remodeled.
I'm pretty sure the actual 99 Cents Only building was the old Mayfair Market in El Segundo. The parking structure was added later. I remember that store was one of the few that got a sign with the new logo in the 1980's that was moved to the store at Fouintain & La Brea when it was closed.
This article says it has been an Alpha Beta, Boys, Ralphs and Cookes Market. Looks like an Alpha Beta build to me.
http://www.dailybreeze.com/article/ZZ/2 ... /130419246
klkla

Post by klkla »

CalItalian wrote:This article says it has been an Alpha Beta, Boys, Ralphs and Cookes Market. Looks like an Alpha Beta build to me.
OK.. That makes sense.

I did a little more searching.

The Mayfair was actually at 220 East Grand Ave. El Segundo,CA, which is currently a RiteAid about three blocks east of the 99 Cent store.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote:
CalItalian wrote:This article says it has been an Alpha Beta, Boys, Ralphs and Cookes Market. Looks like an Alpha Beta build to me.
OK.. That makes sense.

I did a little more searching.

The Mayfair was actually at 220 East Grand Ave. El Segundo,CA, which is currently a RiteAid about three blocks east of the 99 Cent store.
It's a relatively large Rite Aid. Now I understand why the parking lot is so large.
luckysaver
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by luckysaver »

This store is Ralphs #645, one of several 600-series stores that were NOT converted from Alpha Betas. I do agree that the remodeling to FF is from the demographic shift. Much of the westside and the upper South Bay area is a lot more affluent and full of office workers in the many office buildings in the LAX Gateway area, so that clearly justifies the need for the remodel. It also makes up for the loss of the small 202FF in nearby Hermosa Beach.

The small handful of Westside area stores (209, 86, 284, 277, 709) will remain as is with the standard 2011 Kroger decor because of the demographics of its customer base. 278 (the ex-Alpha Beta across from the Westchester Golf Course) and 281 (ex Market Basket in heart of Venice) was the exception because they needed the more colorful upgrades with the new "local" decor package.

The oddest Fresh Fare outside of Los Angeles is 609, the ex-Alpha Beta on Canyon Crest south of the UC Riverside campus. Its been a FF since around since at least the year 2000.

Two Fresh Fares in the LA area that aren't really Fresh Fares - 219 on Ventura/Hayvenhurst in Encino and 292 in Santa Monica.

With the growing affluence in the Downtown San Diego area and the complete overhaul of the Gaslamp District, I think the Ralphs Signature 123 should be remodeled as a Fresh Fare.

luckysaver
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by HelloOutThere »

luckysaver wrote:It also makes up for the loss of the small 202FF in nearby Hermosa Beach.

Two Fresh Fares in the LA area that aren't really Fresh Fares - 219 on Ventura/Hayvenhurst in Encino and 292 in Santa Monica.

r
luckysaver - would you have included 202FF / Hermosa Beach in the list of "aren't really Fresh Fares" if it hadn't closed? This store is / was right across the street from my house, and I always thought the "Fresh Fare" designation was a joke, especially compared to Manhattan Beach. Very small, cramped, produce and deli areas. Strange store layout and HORRIBLE, lazy, unprofessional employee attitudes. Among the worst I've ever encountered. Not an upscale experience in the least.

The going out of business sale was incredible late last year, some real bargains, and it was surreal watching the shelves empty out. Very apocalyptic.

This store is now being converted to a Trader Joe's. The shopping center landlord (who I hear is a complete and total nutjob) had been saying through the local paper that TJ's would open in Summer of this year, but TJ's said they never said such a thing and that it will open late 2016. Construction finally began a few weeks ago. From what I hear TJ's will not occupy all the space. We shall see what happens.
HelloOutThere
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by HelloOutThere »

Just to close the loop on this, Ralphs El Segundo began its official "Grand Opening" as a Fresh Fare today. New signs went up yesterday / today and the store looks GREAT. They even repainted the exterior (not to my liking, but not bad by any means and nice to see the effort). I usually stroll through the store every other day or so during the mid-afternoon as a break from the office, and it was PACKED today compared to most days. So maybe they've been doing some neighborhood outreach or something. Or maybe the new signs were enough.

I'm very impressed with the finished package. It feels quite upscale -- nicer than any Vons I've ever visited, minus perhaps the West Hollywood Pavilions, but I think West Hollywood's unique layout makes it seem more upscale than it really is.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

HelloOutThere wrote:Just to close the loop on this, Ralphs El Segundo began its official "Grand Opening" as a Fresh Fare today. New signs went up yesterday / today and the store looks GREAT. They even repainted the exterior (not to my liking, but not bad by any means and nice to see the effort). I usually stroll through the store every other day or so during the mid-afternoon as a break from the office, and it was PACKED today compared to most days. So maybe they've been doing some neighborhood outreach or something. Or maybe the new signs were enough.

I'm very impressed with the finished package. It feels quite upscale -- nicer than any Vons I've ever visited, minus perhaps the West Hollywood Pavilions, but I think West Hollywood's unique layout makes it seem more upscale than it really is.
I was there last weekend. It's a slimmed down version of Ralphs Westwood Village (as that location is 93,000 sq ft). Nothing different. Too bad it is missing a bar like Westwood and Downtown Los Angeles, though. Similar sized to Downtown L.A.. Certainly a more extensive remodel than they are doing to regular Ralphs locations.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I was in this location yesterday. They did a very poor job on the flooring. It's already buckling and breaking up badly in part of the bakery area.