Another New Decor Package at Pavilions

California. No non-grocery posts.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Another New Decor Package at Pavilions

Post by ClownLoach »

At Newport Coast and Rancho Santa Margarita a completely new and different remodel package is underway that is unlike anything at either Safeway or Albertsons. Both stores look like they've got a month to go, but so far it looks like a very high end design throughout most of the store. New lighting as well. Dominant colors are teal, slate blue, orange, green and lots of wood and tile textures. And they're bringing back the 90's slogan "A World of Difference" in these stores.
klkla

Re: Another New Decor Package at Pavilions

Post by klkla »

There are some pics here:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pavilio ... rVOInKcS3Q
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pavilio ... ryDyzU9cuQ
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pavilio ... CNcwyH8wQg

Good to see Albertson's coming up with yet another décor package for us to talk about :)
The lighting is the same lighting being used in remodeled Gelson's and is in the Pacific Beach and Silver Lake stores already. It looks better in person than in photos.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Fun! :D

The font on the non-script part looks similar to LLC, but also looks close to the Jewel-Osco opened last year about this time (maybe...that store had the same script used in some in-store displays for the TX/FL decor). In any case, it's nice. It has some resemblance to Lifestyle (though that might be erased), it's colorful (in a way even more so than the "Colorful Lifestyle"), it's not especially cheap looking (which sadly plagued a lot of LLC packages, though a rare deluxe package was different), and so forth.

I was just wondering the other day what happened to the Pavilions conversions to Vons and what the future spelled for the remaining Pavilions. The Yelp pictures show them carrying some higher-end, unique items, which sounds like Albertsons already has the right idea of where they want to take Pavilions.
Last edited by pseudo3d on January 4th, 2017, 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

Some of it is very detailed and textured. Other parts are simple prints on wallpaper. All of it is nice. Looks like they already trimmed the fleet of Pavilions down to the highest performers in upscale areas and are now working to reestablish it as a premier brand. More high end merchandise again like a Bristol Farms or Gelsons would carry. RSM has a beautiful wine cellar going up adjacent to Produce. The big question is whether or not they'll be able to compete on meat and produce quality... Or if it's just going to be the same Vons product in a fancier looking store? They're already starting with hydroponic produce that looks interesting...
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Looks like they already trimmed the fleet of Pavilions down to the highest performers in upscale areas and are now working to reestablish it as a premier brand.
I'm still baffled about the conversion of the Arcadia Pavilions to Vons, while the nearby Monrovia Pavilions remains. Arcadia is a more upscale area, and that location was larger than the one in Monrovia.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Maybe they did not want to spend the money to remodel the larger store. Arcadia was such a great performing Pavilions and seemed like the perfect location for an upscale format... that one really confuses me.

How about the other Pavilions locations? Are they the right neighborhood for a more upscale concept?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

J-Man wrote:
Looks like they already trimmed the fleet of Pavilions down to the highest performers in upscale areas and are now working to reestablish it as a premier brand.
I'm still baffled about the conversion of the Arcadia Pavilions to Vons, while the nearby Monrovia Pavilions remains. Arcadia is a more upscale area, and that location was larger than the one in Monrovia.
I thought I read somewhere that Arcadia's demographics were changing to predominantly Asian, resulting in the Ralphs there (near the old Vons HQ, I think) closing and becoming an Asian supermarket.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

pseudo3d wrote:
J-Man wrote:
I thought I read somewhere that Arcadia's demographics were changing to predominantly Asian, resulting in the Ralphs there (near the old Vons HQ, I think) closing and becoming an Asian supermarket.
That's correct. Arcadia has become an enclave of rich Chinese nationals. Some of whom buy homes sight unseen. Vons won't be able to continue to operate there either unless this buy your way into an American green card for Chinese changes under President Trump. 44% in 2010 were Chinese. Must be closer to 2/3 now. http://www.businessinsider.com/arcadia- ... nts-2015-2
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:Maybe they did not want to spend the money to remodel the larger store. Arcadia was such a great performing Pavilions and seemed like the perfect location for an upscale format... that one really confuses me.

How about the other Pavilions locations? Are they the right neighborhood for a more upscale concept?
I am surprised that Albertsons hasn't converted the Vons locations in the beach communities between LAX and Palos Verdes to the Pavilions concept. Those are very upscale areas that will have both a Lazy Acres and Gelsons in their future. 3 Ralphs Fresh Fare locations are in that area. Pavilions in San Pedro (Palos Verdes adjacent) was rebranded as a Vons, though. I could see that store location going either way being that it bridges two communities, one upscale and one not.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

CalItalian wrote:
pseudo3d wrote:
J-Man wrote:
That's correct. Arcadia has become an enclave of rich Chinese nationals. Some of whom buy homes sight unseen. Vons won't be able to continue to operate there either unless this buy your way into an American green card for Chinese changes under President Trump. 44% in 2010 were Chinese. Must be closer to 2/3 now. http://www.businessinsider.com/arcadia- ... nts-2015-2
Also, Aldi just opened a location right across the street from the Arcadia store in half of the CVS store.