Filthy Ralphs Sparks Outrage

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Filthy Ralphs Sparks Outrage

Post by CalItalian »

In the ghetto... Ralphs in Torrance on Crenshaw & Artesia is pretty bad, too.
http://ktla.com/2017/01/09/photos-of-fi ... k-outrage/
storewanderer

Re: Filthy Ralphs Sparks Outrage

Post by storewanderer »

What were the store's health ratings?

It appears there are some management issues with Kroger in California. My visit to a FoodsCo this weekend was so bad, I walked out without even buying anything. EVERYTHING was wrong with the place: service, lines, quality, cleanliness. Absolutely awful.
jamcool
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by jamcool »

I've noticed that most of the grocery chains in SoCal have dingy stores... saggy shelves in a Vons, an old fish odor in an Albertsons... and let's not talk about the rest rooms..
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

jamcool wrote:I've noticed that most of the grocery chains in SoCal have dingy stores... saggy shelves in a Vons, an old fish odor in an Albertsons... and let's not talk about the rest rooms..
That fish odor seems to be a chain-wide Albertsons fixture.

Almost every Albertsons store in the Phoenix area has that odor. Strangely, I don't notice it in any other grocer (including Safeway).

Fry's here in Phoenix (another Kroger division) has some truly dumpy stores as well. However, they also have some pristine stores. It seems to depend a lot on the demographics of the surrounding area as well as the age of the store.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote:
jamcool wrote:I've noticed that most of the grocery chains in SoCal have dingy stores... saggy shelves in a Vons, an old fish odor in an Albertsons... and let's not talk about the rest rooms..

Almost every Albertsons store in the Phoenix area has that odor. Strangely, I don't notice it in any other grocer (including Safeway).

Fry's here in Phoenix (another Kroger division) has some truly dumpy stores as well. However, they also have some pristine stores. It seems to depend a lot on the demographics of the surrounding area as well as the age of the store.
The fish odor was a recurring problem at my hometown Albertsons, but the poor condition of the local Kroger also permanently damaged my relationship with it, and Albertsons became the worst of the "big three" locally (like Kroger but more expensive).

Anyway, although that Ralphs is bad (yes, no forgiving that), I don't think it's not because "Ralphs has exploited the minorities" or whatever it is she's claiming.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

pseudo3d wrote:
arizonaguy wrote:

The fish odor was a recurring problem at my hometown Albertsons, but the poor condition of the local Kroger also permanently damaged my relationship with it, and Albertsons became the worst of the "big three" locally (like Kroger but more expensive).

Anyway, although that Ralphs is bad (yes, no forgiving that), I don't think it's not because "Ralphs has exploited the minorities" or whatever it is she's claiming.
I think store conditions are related to the revenue/profit that a store generates. Stores that don't generate a significant amount of revenue/profit won't be kept up as well as stores that are extremely profitable. Demographics does play a role as there are diminishing returns (i.e. you'll likely see no increase / decrease in sales) keeping a store in a poorer neighborhood in top condition as you may see reductions in sales in a higher income neighborhood (with more competition and likely a greater willingness to travel further for a better experience).
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The Ralphs in the wealthy neighborhoods are in pristine condition. When Ralphs was in NorCal all of their stores were in pristine condition at all times; very clean and shiny. The NorCal Ralphs did not do much business so I guess it was easy to keep them clean. Most of the Ralphs I have gone into around Los Angeles seem very high volume and seem to have some scattered cleanliness issues.

I think the observation about most chains having lousy stores in CA is dead on. If it isn't dirty, it is poorly staffed (like Safeway NorCal). Add to that the super high pricing all of these chains have in California and you have to wonder what is going on. I think they are cutting labor too thin but I am guessing they are running as much labor as they can afford to run.

Vons is mixed, I went to one near La Jolla on the other side of the interstate from the La Jolla Ralphs (looked like a high density apartment neighborhood with a lot of students living there, rent is very high I am sure) that stunk so bad of fish throughout I could barely stay in there long enough to circle the perimeter. Conversely the Vons in La Jolla proper was pristine.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Ralphs quickly remodeled this location. Grand Re-opening is Friday, May 26th. http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases ... 60207.html Starbucks looks nice. Similar to El Segundo Fresh Fare.
They've locked up a lot of products. I've been in the Ralphs in Hawthorne and some Food 4 Less locations and they lock up their liquor but little else. I rarely see much else locked up or available at the front desk signs at any Ralphs. This newly remodeled location is quite extensive, though. Bar soap?
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/ralphs-los-angeles-52
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I cannot believe Ralphs is locking up $1 liquid hand soaps. At Smiths at any given time there are literally hundreds of those on open display in the "dump bins" in the center walkways of the store. Also Smiths usually has 1-2 drug endcaps with body wash which I see Ralphs also has locked up.

That "lock up" program at Ralphs reminds me of what Supervalu did to some of its SoCal Division Stores about 8 years ago. I don't think it worked out terribly well for them. I don't expect it to work terribly well for Ralphs either.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Safeway in the San Francisco Bay Area has started to lock up batteries, condoms, and lubricants. There were new brown wood and glass cabinets. It looked very professional. Previously, only expensive liquor was locked up.