Pavilions returns to glossy tabloid-like circular

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Pavilions returns to glossy tabloid-like circular

Post by CalItalian »

Deja vu when I got my ads for Feb 15-21 today in the snail mail. Looks almost exactly like the Pavilions ads from way back when. Pavilions, A World of Difference is on the ad, too.
Although there is a Vons and a Pavilions of equal distance from my house, I've only been getting the Pavilions ads as of late (although they were nearly identical).
This ad is not entirely different from the Vons ad but there are significant differences with some upscale items not in the Vons ad and less items overall in it. Exactly as it use to be. The ad is up online.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Pavilions returns to glossy tabloid-like circular

Post by SamSpade »

Definitely a new look for an Albertsons - Safeway produced ad circular. Some of it feels like the others (Monopoly, $5 Friday), but the size and some new fonts make it stand out for sure, especially if you didn't open it and only saw the front and back pages.

(and as someone who feels like grapes are perpetually on sale, ABS and SWY are always promoting fruit bowls at 3 for $10, it's nice to see)
klkla

Post by klkla »

That's good to see. Hopefully they will continue moving in this direction.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do they even have the knowledge to run an upscale chain like Pavilions at this point? I am sure most of the people who used to be involved with Pavilions 15-20+ years ago back when it was still unique, are retired at this point...

And no, Market Street is not really like the original Pavilions. Haggen's original stores, much more similar to the original Pavilions...
klkla

Post by klkla »

It looks like "World of Difference" branding is coming back inside the stores, as well.

Someone posted this photo on Yelp from the Newport Coast store which is being remodeled:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pavilio ... zI7MMmUprg
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

klkla wrote:It looks like "World of Difference" branding is coming back inside the stores, as well.

Someone posted this photo on Yelp from the Newport Coast store which is being remodeled:
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/pavilio ... zI7MMmUprg
Also noted in my earlier thread visiting Rancho Santa Margarita:
submariner wrote:Worth noting the "world of difference" slogan makes an appearance above the check stands
Attachments
IMG_1454.jpg
AndrewM

Post by AndrewM »

Has anyone else noticed the different sales now distinctly from Vons vs Pavilions? Used to be when they used the same kind of circulars you'd find the same sales at both stores. For example, last week Vons had the 3lb Jennie-O on sale for $5.97/3lb package. Pavilions did not (At least in West LA area). Will Pavilions price match Vons?
klkla

Post by klkla »

In the article linked below about Albertson's closing the distribution center in Houston I noticed this quote:

"Houston will continue as an operations office and Sidney Hopper, currently president of the Houston division, will continue as president of the Randalls banner, which operates 45 stores in Houston and Austin, Christine Wilcox, a spokeswoman for Albertsons, told SN. Stores in Louisiana previously under the Houston division will be overseen by Rick Sinconis, who has been named operations VP and general manager.

Albertsons previously made similar moves to appoint banner presidents focused on operations, including Joe Kelley at Star Markets, and Jim Wallace at Pavilions."

I'm glad to see they have appointed a banner president for Pavilions again. Hopefully this is another sign that they are serious about restoring the banner to it's former glory.

http://www.supermarketnews.com/marketin ... -divisions
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote:In the article linked below about Albertson's closing the distribution center in Houston I noticed this quote:

"Houston will continue as an operations office and Sidney Hopper, currently president of the Houston division, will continue as president of the Randalls banner, which operates 45 stores in Houston and Austin, Christine Wilcox, a spokeswoman for Albertsons, told SN. Stores in Louisiana previously under the Houston division will be overseen by Rick Sinconis, who has been named operations VP and general manager.

Albertsons previously made similar moves to appoint banner presidents focused on operations, including Joe Kelley at Star Markets, and Jim Wallace at Pavilions."

I'm glad to see they have appointed a banner president for Pavilions again. Hopefully this is another sign that they are serious about restoring the banner to it's former glory.

http://www.supermarketnews.com/marketin ... -divisions
That article is a little inaccurate, it's not "Telge, Texas" it's Telge Road in Houston. That would be like saying Vons is closing their DC in "Excelsior, California".
klkla

Post by klkla »

That's very interesting but my point has to do more with them appointing a brand president to run the Pavilions stores separately and hopefully maximize the potential of that brand and making it special once again after so many years of neglect.