Lazy Acres

California. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Lazy Acres

Post by J-Man »

I was in Long Beach yesterday and stopped in at the Lazy Acres to see what it was all about. This location was converted from a Bristol Farms, which I understand has common ownership with Lazy Acres. So-- does anyone know what they're trying to be? It seemed to me like a somewhat smaller version of Whole Foods, but with similarly high prices. Or maybe a more upscale version of Sprouts. I really don't see how they're going to make much of an impact in the already crowded supermarket field in Southern California, but apparently they have expansion plans. (Right now there are only three: Santa Barbara, Long Beach and Encinitas.)

Any thoughts? Comments?
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Lazy Acres

Post by rwsandiego »

J-Man wrote:I was in Long Beach yesterday and stopped in at the Lazy Acres to see what it was all about. This location was converted from a Bristol Farms, which I understand has common ownership with Lazy Acres. So-- does anyone know what they're trying to be? It seemed to me like a somewhat smaller version of Whole Foods, but with similarly high prices. Or maybe a more upscale version of Sprouts. I really don't see how they're going to make much of an impact in the already crowded supermarket field in Southern California, but apparently they have expansion plans. (Right now there are only three: Santa Barbara, Long Beach and Encinitas.)

Any thoughts? Comments?
All I know is the Mission Hills San Diego Albertsons turned Haggen will be a Lazy Acres.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I was under the impression Lazy Acres and Bristol Farms were the same thing, with Lazy Acres kept as part of a way to not ditch the name for the sub-chain. Interestingly, Bristol Farms bought Lazy Acres in 2005, when they were under Albertsons.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:I was under the impression Lazy Acres and Bristol Farms were the same thing, with Lazy Acres kept as part of a way to not ditch the name for the sub-chain. Interestingly, Bristol Farms bought Lazy Acres in 2005, when they were under Albertsons.
I thought so too, but looking at pics of the two chains' stores they seem to be different. As @J-Man wrote, Lazy Acres looks like a Sprouts, whereas Bristol Farms looks more like a gourmet market. At least the pics accompanying news stories make it look like Sprouts.
klkla

Post by klkla »

rwsandiego wrote:All I know is the Mission Hills San Diego Albertsons turned Haggen will be a Lazy Acres.
That's interesting. Last I heard they were going to make it a Bristol Farms. They've been sitting on the property for a while so it's good to see they made a decision.

According to this blog it will open this summer:
http://sdgln.com/news/2016/11/02/lazy-a ... ummer-2017
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

klkla wrote:
rwsandiego wrote:All I know is the Mission Hills San Diego Albertsons turned Haggen will be a Lazy Acres.
That's interesting. Last I heard they were going to make it a Bristol Farms. They've been sitting on the property for a while so it's good to see they made a decision.

According to this blog it will open this summer:
http://sdgln.com/news/2016/11/02/lazy-a ... ummer-2017
Me too. That's what was announced when they bought the location. The neighborhood could support a Bristol farms, but the location is a little small so maybe they decided the space was better-suited for a Lazy Acres.
klkla

Post by klkla »

They did a complete interior and exterior remodel on the Lazy Acres in Hillcrest. It looks pretty good.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... cQoioIezAK

They have also set the date for the grand opening of their other ex-Haggen location in Woodland Hills for November 11th.
http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations/mulholland2/
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

WOW! That looks nothing like the hideous old Alberstons. I will have to check it out when I visit San Diego for Thanksgiving.

Thanks for posting the pictures.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote: October 25th, 2017, 4:40 pm They did a complete interior and exterior remodel on the Lazy Acres in Hillcrest. It looks pretty good.
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... cQoioIezAK

They have also set the date for the grand opening of their other ex-Haggen location in Woodland Hills for November 11th.
http://www.bristolfarms.com/locations/mulholland2/
I know the floral manager in San Diego. He was offered the opportunity to move there from the Santa Monica Bristol Farms. The store is way outperforming what they expected.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Did they expand this store? It felt so small as an Albertsons...

Looks a lot larger and more spacious now.