Vons in NW Pasadena to Close

California. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Vons in NW Pasadena to Close

Post by J-Man »

The Vons on N. Fair Oaks Ave. in Pasadena is shutting down and will be replaced by a Vallarta supermarket.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Re: Vons in NW Pasadena to Close

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

I live just one block away from this store, I remember when I first moved to the area (summer of '98) the day after moving in to our new house, this store had its grand opening. According to some of the employees back in 2012, Safeway was planning to close this store but for some reason they backed out on those plans. I had a feeling this store would not remain open for long under Albertsons ownership (and I was right).

I wasn't very thrilled when I heard Vallarta was moving in since there is already a Baja Ranch and Super King nearby, but I guess it's a better option than having a store like Grocery Outlet or Aldi taking over, or having an empty building.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Based on Yelp the store has a lifestyle remodel and it even got the pharmacy remodel so it is interesting they were considering shutting it down in 2012.

I would assume they signed another 5 year lease extension in 2012 and have decided to exit the location now, or Vallarta was willing to pay more for it and they were forced to exit...

The Yelp photos show long lines and a busy enough looking store...
klkla

Post by klkla »

If the store opened in 1998 the lease would most likely be expiring in 2018 at the earliest (next year).

It just sounds like this store wasn't make money and they were able to work out a deal with Vallarta to get them out of it early.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Here's an update on the Vallarta remodel of the former Vons
http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/pasaden ... Yk2hbpFxPY
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla

Post by klkla »

klkla wrote:If the store opened in 1998 the lease would most likely be expiring in 2018 at the earliest (next year).

It just sounds like this store wasn't make money and they were able to work out a deal with Vallarta to get them out of it early.
CalItalian wrote:Opens November 1, 2017
http://www.pasadenanow.com/main/vallart ... -altadena/
From the pasadenanow.com article quoted above:
"Vons earlier announced it was closing the location and had negotiated with Vallarta to assign the two remaining years of its 10-year lease to the 50,000-square-foot property."

Good guess on my part :) Although, if the store opened in 1998 it would have been 20 years on the initial lease not 10.