Ralphs Discontinuing Traditional Printed Ads

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Ralphs Discontinuing Traditional Printed Ads

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote:I think the Safeway iPads are still there if they work, but if they break, they are not (at least not consistently) being replaced.

I do not really like to log into anything to show what I am supposed to be paying for something. I did that at Safeway on more than a few visits and frankly I am at the point now where I barely bother with their program anymore due to being afraid of things not working as intended or as advertised. They should have an inquiry function on the POS that allows them to scan your card or enter your phone number and print a list of all active offers on your card. Then for a specific offer there should be an offer number or offer ID tied to it and if you want to see specific UPCs/item descriptions tied then they should have able to print that out of their POS as well. It is not MY fault that the price is wrong (unless I pick the wrong item, but I think I am pretty good at picking the right item)- it is their fault, so they need to fix it. Kroger's app is very clear for every item that has a digital offer there is a list below it that shows item photos and what UPCs are tied to the offer. I can see very clearly while I shop what items work on the offer and what items won't work. I have had a couple times where I felt like an item should work, but does not work. Since the item is not on the list of UPCs under offer I simply do not buy. No use arguing, if they can't get the programming right or clear then they can lose the sale.
I really like that at Ralphs since they updated the app a few months ago to show the specific items that work with a particular digital coupon. I had many instances prior where I had to bring out the app with the digital coupon and get a refund for it not coming off. Like you, now, if a particular variety isn't on the list, I don't buy it.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Ralphs has the full 6-page ad back in stores this week. Now, if they'd only snail mail them again.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

You have to give Kroger credit for admitting this was a bad idea. Unlike certain other chains that try to force ideas that do not go over well with customers down the customer's throat. I would guess the mailer ad will re-appear as soon as they can get the logistics sorted out.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Over the last 35+ years that I have been shopping at Ralphs, I can not recall one year they didn't advertise in the Los Angeles Times and other newspapers the Sunday before Easter. They didn't today (Vons and Albertsons, among others, did). Normally, today is when they start their Easter sale. And they did in store and even labeled many items I came across as "as advertised" but they weren't. For example, Farmer John full or half hams were full price yesterday, today they are "as advertised" .99 lb (Farmer John Spiral Sliced Ham is shown under Weekly Ads on the website and app on a small one page Sunday ad for today for $1.47 lb. An ad that wasn't in store or in newspapers. And there was still no digital ad for the Farmer John .99 lb. ham). I often get my ham (and did) the Sunday before Easter for best selection. There was selection. Nobody was touching them and there were tons out in each store I was in late this afternoon. I've never seen that before. Ralphs didn't send out an email today, had no notification of this new Sunday sale on Facebook and never does push notifications for their app - just texts for their Free Friday digital coupon offer. Who is running their digital effort? They don't seem to have a clue how things work today if they are trying to move beyond printed ads.
klkla

Post by klkla »

I have received traditional six-page Ralphs ads in the mail for the last two weeks. Looks like they are back to doing mailers again. They didn't seem to be related to any holiday or special events.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote: October 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm I have received traditional six-page Ralphs ads in the mail for the last two weeks. Looks like they are back to doing mailers again. They didn't seem to be related to any holiday or special events.
I haven't but they have become more plentiful in store the last few weeks.
klkla

Post by klkla »

CalItalian wrote: October 13th, 2017, 11:20 pm
klkla wrote: October 12th, 2017, 1:47 pm I have received traditional six-page Ralphs ads in the mail for the last two weeks. Looks like they are back to doing mailers again. They didn't seem to be related to any holiday or special events.
They are the Fresh Fare version. I don't know if that makes a difference.
steps
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Post by steps »

klkla wrote: October 14th, 2017, 9:48 am
CalItalian wrote: October 13th, 2017, 11:20 pm
They are the Fresh Fare version. I don't know if that makes a difference.
We still get the regular Ralph's ads in the mail. The closest Ralph's to me is USC.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

Four Ralphs stores that were close to me (Duarte, Glendora, two in Arcadia) have been closed for a while, but I still get a Ralphs ad every week in the mail. Aldi, however, discontinued their weekly mailers to my area a few months after they opened. Maybe they'll resume once their Monrovia store opens later this year. I've never gotten a Stater Bros. ad in the 30 years I've lived here, but I still get an Albertsons ad, even though their nearest store is farther than the nearest Stater Bros.
klkla

Post by klkla »

J-Man wrote: October 14th, 2017, 5:33 pm I've never gotten a Stater Bros. ad in the 30 years I've lived here, but I still get an Albertsons ad, even though their nearest store is farther than the nearest Stater Bros.
I don't get the logic for some chains. Last week I received a twelve page glossy ad for Walmart that included groceries but the nearest store is 12 miles from my home. I live about ten blocks from Whole Foods and have never received anything in the mail from them ever and they have been open a year and a half.