Pavilions Sherman Oaks Redevlopment

California. No non-grocery posts.
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Pavilions Sherman Oaks Redevlopment

Post by Bluelightspecial »

Apparently the Pavilions in Sherman Oaks is closing in June. One of the checkers told me they are tearing the store down and an adjacent building and building a much larger new store. It's long overdue as the store is very dated.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Pavilions Sherman Oaks Redevlopment

Post by rwsandiego »

Apologies if this question was previously addressed, but the store's Yelp page has a pic dated July 2016 that has a "Grand Re-Opening" banner across the front. Was the store really renovated last year?
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

It definitely wasn't remodeled last year. There might have been some minor touch-up at some point, but nothing major. I hadn't been in the store in a years, but not much had changed. I remember that this store was originally a Safeway that Vons made a Pavilions Place. I think it has the same decor it had from when Vons took it over.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

This store definitely needs to be redeveloped. Hopefully it will perform better than the newer Pavilions a ways down the road that went out of business a few years after opening...
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

Bluelightspecial wrote:It definitely wasn't remodeled last year. There might have been some minor touch-up at some point, but nothing major. I hadn't been in the store in a years, but not much had changed. I remember that this store was originally a Safeway that Vons made a Pavilions Place. I think it has the same decor it had from when Vons took it over.
I recall the posts about this store's long-outdated decor, so I was surprised to see the "grand re-opening" banner. Here's a link:
https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto ... DLeA/o.jpg

I did a Google image search and found that the pic is actually of a store in Westlake Village.
klkla

Post by klkla »

We talked about this store in January. I went to visit it because someone on here said it was remodeled and it definitely was not.

This is what I wrote then:
klkla wrote:My guess with Sherman Oaks is that they are probably trying to negotiate a lease extension and don't want to dump anymore money into it until they know what's going to happen...

Or...

They are planning a remodel & expansion. The Ralphs down the street was torn down and a much larger store with underground parking was built on the property a couple years ago but it took almost five years to get the Sherman Oaks Neighborhood Association behind it. Both Sherman Oaks and Studio City Neighborhood Associations tend to fight every development in their communities.

The store is definitely not a dog. It's a great location in a wealthy area.
Guess I was right! LOL

http://www.retailwatchers.com/viewtopic ... aks#p11246
Bluelightspecial
Receiving Clerk
Receiving Clerk

Whatever they are planning it looks like it will incorporate the land that the large Wells Fargo bank is on. The branch closed and relocated a few blocks away. The irony is that Whole Foods is planning to build a large store less than a mile away. Below is a link to the plans they submitted.

WholeFoods Sherman Oaks
klkla

Post by klkla »

Bluelightspecial wrote:Whatever they are planning it looks like it will incorporate the land that the large Wells Fargo bank is on. The branch closed and relocated a few blocks away. The irony is that Whole Foods is planning to build a large store less than a mile away. Below is a link to the plans they submitted.

WholeFoods Sherman Oaks
It's worth noting that the article you linked is from SOHA (Sherman Oaks Homeowners Association). They will fight any and every new development as hard as they can.

In summary they said "During the scoping meeting and since then we have learned a lot about the impacts this will have on our neighborhood and the community of Sherman Oaks. While there will be some nice restaurants and shops, the negative impacts of such a dense development will have will far outweigh any positives.

More congested traffic, public safety problem, increase crime, poorer air quality, increased water usage, and elimination of open space, big parking problems, and a significant reduction of property values are all things we will experience."

This is their standard response.

For Pavilions if they in fact took over the Wells Fargo land they could simply tear it down and expand the parking. Then simultaneously tear down the store and builder a bigger one on the same site. They could probably get away with doing a 40-45,000 square foot store that way. If they want something bigger they would have to do rooftop or underground parking and SOHA will delay it even longer.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I wonder if Safeway had been neglecting renovating this store for years because the plan was to replace it all along (despite the new Pavilions decor, Albertsons new-builds aren't that impressive, sorry), and the resistance at Sherman Oaks kept it on the backburner (the Oakland College Avenue Safeway redevelopment was like pulling teeth, took six years from the initial presentation to getting approved for construction). On the more interesting side, it does have a resemblance to the 1970s stores Safeway built in the Houston division, a store design that wasn't used in the other stores.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote:I wonder if Safeway had been neglecting renovating this store for years because the plan was to replace it all along (despite the new Pavilions decor, Albertsons new-builds aren't that impressive, sorry), and the resistance at Sherman Oaks kept it on the backburner (the Oakland College Avenue Safeway redevelopment was like pulling teeth, took six years from the initial presentation to getting approved for construction). On the more interesting side, it does have a resemblance to the 1970s stores Safeway built in the Houston division, a store design that wasn't used in the other stores.
That probably does explain why they haven't done anything for so long. I was surprised to see that it still had a late 90's interior. They have been probably trying to buy out the bank for a long time.

FWIW hundreds of stores all over the U.S. looked almost exactly like that store from the late 60's to mid 70's.