New Vons Avalon (Catalina Island) Construction May Begin at End of April 2017

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

New Vons Avalon (Catalina Island) Construction May Begin at End of April 2017

Post by CalItalian »

One year for construction. They have to give soundproof windows to nearby properties? I should have asked for that when construction was done near my building. California asks for everything.

http://www.thelog.com/catalina-connecti ... -of-april/
pseudo3d

Re: New Vons Avalon (Catalina Island) Construction May Begin at End of April 2017

Post by pseudo3d »

Was Avalon the one with the tiny storefront Vons that was something ridiculously small, like sub-15,000 square feet, or am I thinking of a different one?

Either way, it definitely looks like some of the "beach" ACME stores they've been building or remodeling. Not identical, no, but you can tell its influence.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: New Vons Avalon (Catalina Island) Construction May Begin at End of April 2017

Post by rwsandiego »

pseudo3d wrote:Was Avalon the one with the tiny storefront Vons that was something ridiculously small, like sub-15,000 square feet, or am I thinking of a different one?

Either way, it definitely looks like some of the "beach" ACME stores they've been building or remodeling. Not identical, no, but you can tell its influence.
That's the one! Here's a pic: Image
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

pseudo3d wrote:Was Avalon the one with the tiny storefront Vons that was something ridiculously small, like sub-15,000 square feet, or am I thinking of a different one?

It's also the oldest Safeway still in operation (opened in the 30s or 40s if I recall), though not technically contiguous from when Safeway sold off their SoCal stores to Vons to when Safeway bought Vons.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

submariner wrote:

It's also the oldest Safeway still in operation (opened in the 30s or 40s if I recall), though not technically contiguous from when Safeway sold off their SoCal stores to Vons to when Safeway bought Vons.
I would consider a store contiguous if it swapped names without the store closing or resetting. Most years ago didn't. I believe I read somewhere that when Safeway sold off their New York division to Finast, they were called "Safeway-Finast" for a short time.
submariner

Post by submariner »

Granted, I was just referring to ownership by the Safeway corporation. But one could argue that they bought the history of vons when they bought the chain...

I'll allow it. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
klkla

Post by klkla »

I think I mentioned this somewhere in a past thread but when I worked for Safeway the Avalon store actually had the honor being listed as store #1 in the Southern California division.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by J-Man »

There is (or at least used to be) a "Vons Express" store a couple of blocks over. Were they both Safeways at one time, or was one of them either a Vons or something else?
submariner

Post by submariner »

J-Man wrote:There is (or at least used to be) a "Vons Express" store a couple of blocks over. Were they both Safeways at one time, or was one of them either a Vons or something else?
I think this is the one you speak of? It's 120 Catalina Ave, Avalon, CA 90704. The main store is at 123 Metropole.

I don't know the history, but someone over at Groceteria might.

marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

submariner wrote:Granted, I was just referring to ownership by the Safeway corporation. But one could argue that they bought the history of vons when they bought the chain...

I'll allow it. [emoji846]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Technically, it was continuous Safeway ownership because when Safeway exited Southern California, they bought a 30% stake in Vons. So there was always some kind of Safeway ownership, full or partial!