Southern California's grocery battle heats up with the spread of discounter Aldi

California. No non-grocery posts.
J-Man
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Southern California's grocery battle heats up with the spread of discounter Aldi

Post by J-Man »

ClaudMill

Re: Southern California's grocery battle heats up with the spread of discounter Aldi

Post by ClaudMill »

Interesting that the customer said that Aldi employees are friendlier, I wonder why that is.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Southern California's grocery battle heats up with the spread of discounter Aldi

Post by CalItalian »

This article is a joke. I was in the store location (Inglewood) in the photo on Monday at 4 pm. There were about 10 to 12 customers in the store at 4 pm. ONE checkstand open. Three people in line while I checked out. One with a lot in their cart that took a lot of time to check out since a price check was needed which the cashier herself performed.

During my 5 to 7 minutes in the meat department NOBODY came near me. ALL pork had $2 off at the checkstand per package stickers. Most of the ground beef $4 off per package at the checkstand stickers. All Carne Asada $7 off at the checkstand per package stickers. Cashier has to manually apply this. I was able to get almost 1 lb. of boneless thin pork chops for as low as 85 cents. 2 lbs. of carne asada for just under $5. I had to freeze all of it since It was expiring that day. Some of the pork chops didn't look good but all the other meat did even with an expiration that day.

Aldi, to me, is just another incarnation of Fresh & Easy. I go in only for all the discounted food that isn't moving...and, especially in the meat department, that's most of it.

The Food 4 Less next door and the El Super across the street were bustling with customers at the same time.

As for Aldi employees being friendlier, I encountered three in that store. None, except for the cashier, said a word to me. The cashier wasn't particularly nice either but I went to Pavilions in Culver City after and got about the same treatment from the cashier there.