Safeway to take over Monterey Nob Hill

California. No non-grocery posts.
wnetmacman
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Safeway to take over Monterey Nob Hill

Post by wnetmacman »

pseudo3d wrote: October 11th, 2017, 9:01 pm Right, but why didn't they renew?
If you had the possibility of shallow-pocketed Nob Hill or deep-pocketed Albertsons, which lease would you negotiate? Money talks, and Albertsons could afford to put more money toward a higher-priced lease.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

It is now December with no sign from Safeway's website about them reopening the store. I would've expected them to take it over, close it for a month to make necessary repairs and a décor swap, then reopen it. Their feet-dragging and a lack of a job fair suggest that either Safeway has had some second thoughts about it or wants to relocate from their existing spot, which is right next to a Trader Joe's and not far from a SaveMart Lucky.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It may be they just want to focus on sales during the holidays and not mess around with projects.

Also given NorCal Division just had an upper management change... I think there is a lot of pressure right now to produce sales.

Of course the departments that handle store purchases, remodels, and construction should be separate from operations and others directly responsible for sales... but who knows.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: December 2nd, 2017, 5:59 pm It is now December with no sign from Safeway's website about them reopening the store. I would've expected them to take it over, close it for a month to make necessary repairs and a décor swap, then reopen it.
It could also be that they are waiting on permits needed for the remodel.
greenfalcon
Front-End Bagger
Front-End Bagger

Post by greenfalcon »

This location has now reopened as an Andronicos. There appears to be an emphasis on fresh prepared items.

Couldn't get many other photos, but they're using a font reminiscent of 1960s Safeway.
Attachments
IMG_3695.jpeg
IMG_3694.jpeg
IMG_3693.jpeg
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The Safeway name is so tarnished that the company is trying to use Andronico's to improve sales. If you are going to charge outrageously high prices, it might as well be from a store that sounds like it is a small independent chain. Andronico's was once a family owned chain, but even then their prices were high.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

It is odd they would name a store Andronico's that is far from Andronico's territory and also that they rebranded the ones they bought to Safeway CM except that one in San Francisco where there was some lease issue requiring use of the Andronico's name. I wonder if they will rebrand all of those Safeway CMs back to Andronico's?

At least the various Albertsons people who have been imported or re-hired in NorCal seem to recognize the Safeway operation had some real problems and are doing things to try to fix it. This is by no means a cure all but at least they seem to be doing some positive things. The ads and promotions have gotten remarkably better the past six months or so. Bringing back self checkout where it was removed is very positive as well. And I haven't seen a store with lines stretching down the aisles in a while (I still see lines of 3-5 customers at Tahoe which is too long in my opinion but an improvement from before) so they seem to have done something to improve the front end situation overall from where it was.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

I thought I read somewhere that the remaining Andronico's wasn't actually supposed to be named as such, it just remained that way due to zoning rules even though functionally it was a dead name like how Safeway held onto a single Genuardi's even months after the Albertsons merger finished and integration began. I'm guessing that what Albertsons is doing is making Andronico's more of an "upscale" counterpart in the NorCal division, much like how the revival of Pavilions is going.
marshd1000
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by marshd1000 »

It seems to me that it would make sense for them to rebrand the Safeway Community Markets back to Adrinico’s. As someone said, it would be like having the Pavilions banner in Southern California, Market Street in Texas and Haggen here in Washington. As for Albertsons Market Street in Idaho, I can see why the kept the Albertsons name there as they had not bought out an existing upscale grocer!