Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

California. No non-grocery posts.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

The new Vallarta Supermarket in Pasadena is set to open Wednesday 11/29, this store is located on the spot where my neighborhood Vons used to operate for the past 20 years.

A video was recently posted on Facebook that shows a brief preview of the inside of the newly remodeled store, and I must say I'm very impressed. It seems like Vallarta is trying to cater beyond the Mexican/Hispanic community with this store, as most of the signage is English with Spanish underneath in smaller fonts. The decor package they used for this store is completely different from the "Mexico themed" package used at their other locations, this one looks clean and modern.

Link to video:

The store looks completely different to how it was as Vons, probably due to the fact that it was completely gutted during construction. Except for the Wells Fargo branch(which remained open the entire time), and the former pharmacy counter which still remained untouched with it's "Lifestyle era" wooden counter and shelves (as of 2 weeks ago when I went inside to use the WF ATM).

I will be there Wednesday morning for the grand opening, and hopefully will be able to take some more pictures.
klkla

Re: Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

Post by klkla »

I think the Latino markets like Vallarta and Northgate-Gonzalez do a much better presentation of prepared foods than the mainline chains. Their stores are also fun to shop at. Vons, Albertsons, Ralphs, Stater Bros. et al should learn something from chains like this and Whole Foods that create a fun environment where people want to be.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

The other side is that the fresh foods in these Hispanic format stores are generally also "fresh." As in, fresh made in store. Scratch bakeries, kitchens that start with the raw meat and prepare with spices, etc.

The regular chains could learn a lot from these formats. I've been saying that for the last 10-15 years. But they continue to opt not to. And in SoCal, they keep closing stores. Coincidence?
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

storewanderer wrote: November 28th, 2017, 10:33 pm The regular chains could learn a lot from these formats. I've been saying that for the last 10-15 years. But they continue to opt not to. And in SoCal, they keep closing stores. Coincidence?
Are the Hispanic stores unionized? If they're not, it does go hand in hand with the general trend of the post-2004 SoCal grocery market. Also, most of the major chains have tried a Hispanic format in the past, though for some reason or another, they often don't work.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Beautiful looking in the video, even with a "warehouse" ceiling. Are those service departments open through dinner hours?

I look forward to your update, original poster.
klkla

Post by klkla »

pseudo3d wrote: November 29th, 2017, 5:32 amAre the Hispanic stores unionized? If they're not, it does go hand in hand with the general trend of the post-2004 SoCal grocery market. Also, most of the major chains have tried a Hispanic format in the past, though for some reason or another, they often don't work.
They are not unionized so it does follow the current trend. The flip side is that there isn't as big a difference in wages for unionized and non-unionized employees anymore. With the minimum wage heading to $15 an hour in California the Unions will want to change that but hey don't have the leverage that they once had.

Vons tried the Tianguis format and it actually worked well for them (until their CEO had Cesar Chavez arrested at one of the stores).

Yucaipa Cos. had Viva stores for a while but those stores were just Hispanic in name. They didn't have the extensive food service operation like Tianguis, Vallarta, Northgate-Gonzales and the other modern Latino stores.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Latino stores in SoCal that were started by one of the mainstream chains.
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

SamSpade wrote: November 29th, 2017, 1:15 pm Beautiful looking in the video, even with a "warehouse" ceiling. Are those service departments open through dinner hours?

I look forward to your update, original poster.

I went to check out the store today, and it was extremely crowded so I was unable to take any good pictures. The parking lot was at 100% capacity with cars lined up for about a block. I ended up walking on foot to the store from home.

The store is really nice on the inside, and the "warehouse" ceilings makes the store feel more spacious and open. You can't tell at all that the store used to be a Vons. The only trace of Lifestyle that remained is the former pharmacy counter, which will be also be housing a pharmacy at some point later on according to the store directory. As far as the service departments, I am unsure what their official hours of operation are, but I was there around 7:30 and they looked like they were in full operation still. I will definitely keep you updated once I visit the store again, hopefully the crowds wind down a little so I can take share some good pictures.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

klkla wrote: November 29th, 2017, 4:06 pm
pseudo3d wrote: November 29th, 2017, 5:32 amAre the Hispanic stores unionized? If they're not, it does go hand in hand with the general trend of the post-2004 SoCal grocery market. Also, most of the major chains have tried a Hispanic format in the past, though for some reason or another, they often don't work.
They are not unionized so it does follow the current trend. The flip side is that there isn't as big a difference in wages for unionized and non-unionized employees anymore. With the minimum wage heading to $15 an hour in California the Unions will want to change that but hey don't have the leverage that they once had.

Vons tried the Tianguis format and it actually worked well for them (until their CEO had Cesar Chavez arrested at one of the stores).

Yucaipa Cos. had Viva stores for a while but those stores were just Hispanic in name. They didn't have the extensive food service operation like Tianguis, Vallarta, Northgate-Gonzales and the other modern Latino stores.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Latino stores in SoCal that were started by one of the mainstream chains.
There was also a really short-lived attempt by Albertsons under the Larry Johnston era. But in terms of non-SoCal, Winn-Dixie, H-E-B, Publix, Kroger, Walmart (both Neighborhood Market AND Sam's Club) and others have tried to varying degrees of (non-)success.
Jeff
Service Clerk
Service Clerk

Post by Jeff »

pseudo3d wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:55 am
klkla wrote: November 29th, 2017, 4:06 pm

There was also a really short-lived attempt by Albertsons under the Larry Johnston era. But in terms of non-SoCal, Winn-Dixie, H-E-B, Publix, Kroger, Walmart (both Neighborhood Market AND Sam's Club) and others have tried to varying degrees of (non-)success.
While it may not be a supermarket, CVS did start their CVS y mas stores in LA to cater to latinos. They opened a few and also converted many.
klkla

Post by klkla »

SN had an article about this store today.

- This is their 50th store.
- Interior design was done by DLEnglish (They have designed most Whole Foods and Bristol Farms in LA area)

http://www.supermarketnews.com/store-de ... -offerings