Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

Post by CalItalian »

klkla wrote: November 29th, 2017, 4:06 pm
pseudo3d wrote: November 29th, 2017, 5:32 amAre the Hispanic stores unionized? If they're not, it does go hand in hand with the general trend of the post-2004 SoCal grocery market. Also, most of the major chains have tried a Hispanic format in the past, though for some reason or another, they often don't work.
They are not unionized so it does follow the current trend. The flip side is that there isn't as big a difference in wages for unionized and non-unionized employees anymore. With the minimum wage heading to $15 an hour in California the Unions will want to change that but hey don't have the leverage that they once had.

Vons tried the Tianguis format and it actually worked well for them (until their CEO had Cesar Chavez arrested at one of the stores).

Yucaipa Cos. had Viva stores for a while but those stores were just Hispanic in name. They didn't have the extensive food service operation like Tianguis, Vallarta, Northgate-Gonzales and the other modern Latino stores.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Latino stores in SoCal that were started by one of the mainstream chains.
That's not entirely true. El Super employees are unionized at several locations. They want it to be at all loccations and frequently set up picketing and boycotts at other locations. https://ufcw324.org/el-super-boycott-fact-sheet/

I can also think of one chain, which is also unionized, that started as a mainstream chain and now serves only the Latino community, Super A Foods. http://www.superafoods.com
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: Vallarta Supermarket Pasadena (Grand Opening)

Post by CalItalian »

Jeff wrote: November 30th, 2017, 12:41 pm
pseudo3d wrote: November 30th, 2017, 10:55 am
klkla wrote: November 29th, 2017, 4:06 pm

They are not unionized so it does follow the current trend. The flip side is that there isn't as big a difference in wages for unionized and non-unionized employees anymore. With the minimum wage heading to $15 an hour in California the Unions will want to change that but hey don't have the leverage that they once had.

Vons tried the Tianguis format and it actually worked well for them (until their CEO had Cesar Chavez arrested at one of the stores).

Yucaipa Cos. had Viva stores for a while but those stores were just Hispanic in name. They didn't have the extensive food service operation like Tianguis, Vallarta, Northgate-Gonzales and the other modern Latino stores.

Off the top of my head I can't think of any other Latino stores in SoCal that were started by one of the mainstream chains.
There was also a really short-lived attempt by Albertsons under the Larry Johnston era. But in terms of non-SoCal, Winn-Dixie, H-E-B, Publix, Kroger, Walmart (both Neighborhood Market AND Sam's Club) and others have tried to varying degrees of (non-)success.
While it may not be a supermarket, CVS did start their CVS y mas stores in LA to cater to latinos. They opened a few and also converted many.
There are only 9 CVS y mas locations in the Los Angeles area. That's down from 12 last year. They are performing very poorly. Maybe the will have more luck in South Florida competing for a different type of Latino customer. The ones they are trying for in Southern California are in areas with low incomes. https://www.cvs.com/content/ymas