Nob Hill Trading Co

California. No non-grocery posts.
brandonmetal

Nob Hill Trading Co

Post by brandonmetal »

I was doing the rounds today down in the mid-Peninsula area and stopped into the Redwood Shores (Redwood City) Nob Hill Foods which has been rebadged as a Nob Hill Trading Co. The inside reminded me much more of a Nugget or Whole Foods than a typical Raley's or Nob Hill.

I work for a company that is a vendor for the chain, but none of my Northern CA reps have seen another stores badged this way and there doesn't appear to be anything on Raley's site about it. Is this a test concept or just a standalone store?
storewanderer

Re: Nob Hill Trading Co

Post by storewanderer »

This is pretty consistent with Raleys remodels in 2015-2016. It is similar to the Benicia store. I don't know of any others like this in the bay area. We have one in Reno like this as well, a 1995 build that they spent many millions on, and it is literally unrecognizable today (inside) compared to how it looked before the remodel.

I'm not clear if the "trading co" label was added as part of the remodel or added later.

Raleys remodels in 2017 used a similar decor package but the one they did in Reno this year was noticeably cheaper in how it was done. The old drop ceiling was kept. Some of the tiles behind the service departments were kept. The store still feels "older" even though it is only a 12 or so year old store. Feels like the same old store as before with a new paint job and new floor.

I'm just happy to see someone in NorCal spending money on its stores and trying to execute well. The two other conventional competitors consistently disappoint, overprice, and have lousy perishables. Save Mart's few remodels in the central valley show some promise but they aren't doing anything like that in the bay area or Sacramento and their pricing issues remain.