Scan, Bag, Go coming to 30 Ralphs locations starting in February 2018

California. No non-grocery posts.
Ovallette

Re: Scan, Bag, Go coming to 30 Ralphs locations starting in February 2018

Post by Ovallette »

What you're saying makes a lot of sense. I was thinking about those things too. But you'd have to think they considered all those things in the first place though, no?
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Video of Scan, Bag, Go from the Redondo Beach location. I know many cashiers there. It isn't working out. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05 ... groceries/
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

CalItalian wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 10:00 pm Video of Scan, Bag, Go from the Redondo Beach location. I know many cashiers there. It isn't working out. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05 ... groceries/
You can't tell Kroger its programs are "not working out." It is very difficult for the divisions to communicate failing Kroger programs up the chain. Between this bust and some of their other lousy ideas (like the expanded Kroger hot food programs with high prices and poor quality food) that have come out of Kroger corporate lately, hopefully they will start to listen to the divisions more before pushing these poor programs onto them and expecting them to execute.

The Kroger Clicklist also appears to be underperforming compared to Raleys eCart program in the micro market of South Reno. Raleys didn't spend nearly the money Kroger did to get the program going in its stores, either. And all Raleys up here in Nevada offer this yet Kroger can only get it off the ground in a single location due to the "needed renovations" to make it work. Raleys made it work with minimal renovations, why can't Kroger? However, I have observed some successful Clicklist units out of town so that program likely has some potential.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

storewanderer wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 11:00 pm
CalItalian wrote: May 2nd, 2018, 10:00 pm Video of Scan, Bag, Go from the Redondo Beach location. I know many cashiers there. It isn't working out. https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2018/05 ... groceries/
You can't tell Kroger its programs are "not working out." It is very difficult for the divisions to communicate failing Kroger programs up the chain. Between this bust and some of their other lousy ideas (like the expanded Kroger hot food programs with high prices and poor quality food) that have come out of Kroger corporate lately, hopefully they will start to listen to the divisions more before pushing these poor programs onto them and expecting them to execute.

The Kroger Clicklist also appears to be underperforming compared to Raleys eCart program in the micro market of South Reno. Raleys didn't spend nearly the money Kroger did to get the program going in its stores, either. And all Raleys up here in Nevada offer this yet Kroger can only get it off the ground in a single location due to the "needed renovations" to make it work. Raleys made it work with minimal renovations, why can't Kroger? However, I have observed some successful Clicklist units out of town so that program likely has some potential.
I constantly get Clicklist coupons in my Ralphs account. But the closest Clicklist locations to me are in Westchester a couple of blocks from LAX or in Ladera Heights. They're both about 10 miles. Nothing in my area despite being on the affluent Westside of L.A.. There are so few Clicklist locations in the entire Ralphs chain.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

Clicklist works well at the bigger newer Marketplace stores that Kroger (Fry's) has built in the Phoenix area.

However, now that it appears Kroger may be abandoning the Marketplace store idea I'm not sure where that leaves Clicklist.

Kroger corporate and Walmart corporate seem to be moving in the same direction and pushing the same programs (halting store construction, closing stores, selling divisions, and investing in scan and go and online to the curb technology). The problem is I'm not sure either Kroger's or Walmart's core shoppers will really adapt to it (at least in the near future) and some of the changes (or lack of capital expenditures on the core business) to make this happen may turn off customers.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

arizonaguy wrote: May 3rd, 2018, 1:18 pm

Clicklist works well at the bigger newer Marketplace stores that Kroger (Fry's) has built in the Phoenix area.

However, now that it appears Kroger may be abandoning the Marketplace store idea I'm not sure where that leaves Clicklist.

Kroger corporate and Walmart corporate seem to be moving in the same direction and pushing the same programs (halting store construction, closing stores, selling divisions, and investing in scan and go and online to the curb technology). The problem is I'm not sure either Kroger's or Walmart's core shoppers will really adapt to it (at least in the near future) and some of the changes (or lack of capital expenditures on the core business) to make this happen may turn off customers.
Despite some problems in recent years, I think that Target actually has a leg up on them, as I heard radio ads for the "curbside" service, but theirs is not just limited to grocery. Shame that Target's merchandise mix is usually inadequate for what I want (especially grocery) but I don't know why Kroger and Walmart limit themselves to just grocery.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Meanwhile in Japan and China:

A truly seamless "scan and go" experience. Only for small transactions, as it probably should be...

Kroger is barking up the wrong tree using 15 year old technology that already failed for Albertsons 15 years ago. Handheld scanners? Then clumsily bag it all yourself? Random transaction audits?

This Japan thing is set up so much better...

I suspect the retailer in Japan accepts Apple Pay too, and Contactless cards. Unlike Kroger again, even though virtually every other grocery store in the western US does.