Scan, Bag, Go coming to 30 Ralphs locations starting in February 2018

California. No non-grocery posts.
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Re: Scan, Bag, Go coming to 30 Ralphs locations starting in February 2018

Post by lola42 »

These photos were insightful, thanks. So it works like this??: You get a scanner in-store or use app, scan and bag as you shop, put the bags in the Scan/Bag/Go machine, pay, leave.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

lola42 wrote: February 25th, 2018, 11:11 am
These photos were insightful, thanks. So it works like this??: You get a scanner in-store or use app, scan and bag as you shop, put the bags in the Scan/Bag/Go machine, pay, leave.
You have to go through the self-checkout area for the payment processing, I was told. That's why the Redondo Beach location is adding 6 additional self-checkout stations to the 4 they already have. How this eventually works, I'll see the first day it's active. I was told by my fav self-checkout cashier it would start in 2 weeks.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Same old technology as Albertsons 15 years ago. Nothing new here. Except that it is now on your app too.

Wal Mart and Kmart also had this type of technology 15 years ago but back then it was only for employees to use to scan customer items, it was not for customers to scan themselves. The objective was to have non-cashiers quickly scan the contents of a customer's cart and then have the customer present a card to the cashier so the items could be quickly input to the register. Wal Mart called it a line rusher and it was a little rolling cart with bags and then an employee used an order gun to scan a card, scan the items, then scan the card on a regular register and it retrieved all of the items as a package/stored transaction. Kmart called its program bluelightning. Same exact technology.
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

I saw it in Arizona at a Fry's store (that I don't normally shop at but is down the street from my wife's employer) today.

They were promoting it hard with multiple employees wearing "Scan, Bag, Go" t-shirts. Also, as this store caters to an older demographic, they had plenty of scanners:

I didn't use it so I can't give a review of it at this time.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Do we know how random weight items are handled with this scan bag go? I assume quantity based produce like limes or heads of lettuce you can just scan the sticker/label or enter the PLU code/quantity but what about weighable produce?

Maybe the self checkout will tell you which item to "weigh" as it is tallying up your transaction.

Funny to see this Kroger chain who can't even get Apple Pay supported like all of the other grocers, to be pushing all this.
pseudo3d

Post by pseudo3d »

Of all the "improvements" grocery store chains have made, I think the only real innovation that stuck and isn't a gimmick is self-checkout, but even two decades later they are notorious for slowdowns ("unexpected item in bagging area", etc.) and tend to be avenues for shrink.

Furthermore, individually scanning each and every item with a phone or other device seems like it would actually cost a customer MORE time than the checkout line, and really reduce the chance of impulse buys, which is a major profit center.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 10:10 pm Do we know how random weight items are handled with this scan bag go? I assume quantity based produce like limes or heads of lettuce you can just scan the sticker/label or enter the PLU code/quantity but what about weighable produce?

Maybe the self checkout will tell you which item to "weigh" as it is tallying up your transaction.

Funny to see this Kroger chain who can't even get Apple Pay supported like all of the other grocers, to be pushing all this.
If it's like the previous systems, they have scales in that area that you can weigh it and it prints a sticker (similar to how they do with the deli or in the meat sections) that you then scan like any other item.
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

pseudo3d wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 10:26 pm Furthermore, individually scanning each and every item with a phone or other device seems like it would actually cost a customer MORE time than the checkout line, and really reduce the chance of impulse buys, which is a major profit center.
I don't think it does (at least not compared to the self checkouts), since all you are doing is scanning it and putting it into the bag (which eliminates those "unexpected item" issues since the cart isn't weighing what you put in the bag).
Another thing that is a bit of time savings is the option to scan something to see what it rings up if you aren't sure of the price (versus having to find a price checker somewhere in the store), since you can (or again at least other systems did) easily "unscan" it (basically void it) if you decide not to purchase the item.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

I posted more photos I took on March 3rd at the Redondo Beach location on Yelp! They now have 12 self checkout (6 on either side of traditional checkout lanes which they reduced to just 6 traditional checkout lanes including 2 that are 15 items or less).
https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/zXPG8Q1 ... lp-android
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

BillyGr wrote: March 3rd, 2018, 9:31 am
storewanderer wrote: March 2nd, 2018, 10:10 pm Do we know how random weight items are handled with this scan bag go? I assume quantity based produce like limes or heads of lettuce you can just scan the sticker/label or enter the PLU code/quantity but what about weighable produce?

If it's like the previous systems, they have scales in that area that you can weigh it and it prints a sticker (similar to how they do with the deli or in the meat sections) that you then scan like any other item.
So that is just another step for the customer... to go to a scale and figure out the PLU then weigh the item. Plus the cost of the sticker... plus the cost of maintaining the label machine... not sure how well this will work with items that have no PLU Code either like a head of garlic or limes.

The local Smiths does have a PLU Sticker Machine like this at the bulk foods department. It only works for bulk foods that are part of the "nutrition" department. Smith's has bulk foods that are part of "nutrition" as well as some gummy/chocolate bulk foods that are part of "grocery" department that come through a different supplier and have price-based PLUs (all gummys are one price and all the same PLU, the chocolates have two different prices and two different PLUs). A bit confusing. The machine looks like the same machine they have in the bakery, deli, or seafood, but the label prints out as "Smith's BULK FOODS."