Southern California Grocery Pricing Comparison

California. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Southern California Grocery Pricing Comparison

Post by SamSpade »

While this is only for those offering online ordering, it makes the case that Vons/Albertsons Cos. has a lot of work to do:
WHO IS THE ONLINE PRICE LEADER FOR GROCERY?
klkla

Re: Southern California Grocery Pricing Comparison

Post by klkla »

This story sounds fishy. The price percentage difference is too high to be random especially considering that Aldi has such a small selection. They probably cherry picked items at Aldi and then did the price comparison. I would love to see the specifics of this 'basket survey'.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

I'd love to see the exact items for price comparisons. Smart & Final is a ripoff and has prices that are largely similar to Safeway. Definitely higher than Kroger or Stater.

And while I know Safeway is very high priced, I don't think they are 10% above Whole Foods...
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

That deli index is especially fishy. What could be just under $3 at Aldi (are *eggs* deli? I've heard in CA that eggs are relatively more expensive after the 'humane' bill became law) and index 5 times that at Vons?

The Brick Meets Click people claim that shoppers don't get 'card' specials online. With Kroger's ClickList up here that simply isn't true; I believe the same is true with Safeway.com so that just seems blatantly wrong.

If they were using Instacart (not sure who they are pairing with) for the "online shopper" at Stater/Smart n' Final/Ralphs they are more expensive and yes, no shopper card option is available.