Raleys remodeling Windsor, CA - closing store for 90 days

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Raleys remodeling Windsor, CA - closing store for 90 days

Post by storewanderer »

Raleys is remodeling its store in Windsor. However there is an interesting angle here: they are going to close it for about 90 days in order to do the remodel. That is a new one.

The store is a typical old late 80's or early 90's Raleys and appears to have had one remodel in the past. I always thought this was a pretty low volume operation but they must see something here.
Super S

Re: Raleys remodeling Windsor, CA - closing store for 90 days

Post by Super S »

It's not unheard of to close a store for a remodel, especially if a chain has other stores in close proximity.

Several years back, a new Walmart opened in Longview, WA. Shortly after it opened the existing store was closed for about a year to do the supercenter expansion and conversion. They completely gutted the store.

I also seem to remember the downtown Portland Meier & Frank/Macy's (I don't remember which name it had at that point) closing for a period of time to remodel the store.

Depending on the scope of the remodel, particularly if it involves gutting the store or other major construction, it makes some sense to close the store if the presence of customers would be a safety issue. Of course this may not be feasible in every case.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

Aldi has done that with two stores in my area they've remodeled and expanded. And from a customer's perspective, I think it's for the best to do it this way. Shopping in a store that is undergoing a remodel is not exactly the most pleasant of experiences. Price Chopper is currently remodeling one of their local stores and I intend to try and avoid shopping there until the job is complete.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: March 28th, 2018, 6:09 pm Aldi has done that with two stores in my area they've remodeled and expanded. And from a customer's perspective, I think it's for the best to do it this way. Shopping in a store that is undergoing a remodel is not exactly the most pleasant of experiences. Price Chopper is currently remodeling one of their local stores and I intend to try and avoid shopping there until the job is complete.
An Aldi near me in Richardson, TX did the same thing this past spring. Although the store stayed open during the early part of construction, it was eventually closed for about a month or so as the entire front portion of the building was missing for a period of time. Pretty much everything in the store was replaced, and it feels so much more upscale and less "Aldi-like" now.
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by lola42 »

Closing June 2. Sounds like Pharmacy will stay open in adjacent shop building.

https://www.facebook.com/RaleysWindsor/
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by lola42 »

Shopping Center remodel underway. Raley's scheduled to reopen in September.
Attachments
3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lola42 wrote: July 28th, 2018, 10:45 am Shopping Center remodel underway. Raley's scheduled to reopen in September.
Is Raleys keeping its entire space or only part of its space?

I never thought that was exactly a busy Raleys... seemed like Safeway did much more business there.
lola42
Produce Clerk
Produce Clerk

Post by lola42 »

I don't know if Raley's is downsizing, but the facade only has one sign tower so I'd guess they're not.

Raley's does a nice remodel and it will be interesting to see if they pull any Oliver's customers away from Bell Village.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

lola42 wrote: July 28th, 2018, 11:35 am I don't know if Raley's is downsizing, but the facade only has one sign tower so I'd guess they're not.

Raley's does a nice remodel and it will be interesting to see if they pull any Oliver's customers away from Bell Village.
I am guessing this remodel will end up like Benicia or the Reno Wedge Pkwy. one. When they go all out, they go all out. Not a trace left from the past, once you step inside.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

http://www.sonomawest.com/the_windsor_t ... 27e49.html

Looks like they reopened. The store is now 32,000 square feet. I think it was larger before...?