Vons Lake Elsinore Closing May 4th

California. No non-grocery posts.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Vons Lake Elsinore Closing May 4th

Post by CalItalian »

No story yet. Got this from a Southern Califonia coupon group I am part of. But I did some poking around Google and found a number of posts confirming.
storewanderer

Re: Vons Lake Elsinore Closing May 4th

Post by storewanderer »

It is not easy to run a high priced conventional store next to a Wal Mart that has a pretty full dry grocery assortment, even if it is a small Wal Mart...

I am surprised the store lasted this long.

The nearby Albertsons is in a better location anyway. Albertsons seems to be a stronger brand than Vons in that general "zone" in general.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

This former Vons store will become an EōS Fitness location this year.

The Walmart in the same shopping center, which relocated 2 exits north at the end of March, 2021 in a new build space and upgraded to a Walmart SuperCenter, will become a boat dealership. https://patch.com/california/lakeelsino ... dealership
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

What is interesting is how the shopping center stayed relatively occupied despite losing Vons and Wal Mart.

I wonder if this would still be open as Vons, had Albertsons/Vons not been merged......
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

storewanderer wrote: January 16th, 2024, 12:25 am What is interesting is how the shopping center stayed relatively occupied despite losing Vons and Wal Mart.

I wonder if this would still be open as Vons, had Albertsons/Vons not been merged......
What killed both stores was the years long project to rebuild and reconfigure the off-ramps from I-15 North, which made the center more difficult to access. Visibility is poor, so probably ideal for a destination business like the boat place. The location Walmart moved to has inadequate roadways and off-ramps that are severely backed up. It's a nice, new build from scratch Walmart. Although it's their newest store in California I am willing to bet it isn't meeting expectations.

Supposedly, the dead proposed Walmart to the south on the Wildomar and Murrieta border is being considered again. Walmart had canceled and put the land for sale, but then recently petitioned for an extension on their building permit. If it is built then it would seem they effectively split the original Elsinore site in two halves, with one site now about 5 miles north and then the other site 5 miles south.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

ClownLoach wrote: January 16th, 2024, 10:10 am
storewanderer wrote: January 16th, 2024, 12:25 am What is interesting is how the shopping center stayed relatively occupied despite losing Vons and Wal Mart.

What killed both stores was the years long project to rebuild and reconfigure the off-ramps from I-15 North, which made the center more difficult to access. Visibility is poor, so probably ideal for a destination business like the boat place. The location Walmart moved to has inadequate roadways and off-ramps that are severely backed up. It's a nice, new build from scratch Walmart. Although it's their newest store in California I am willing to bet it isn't meeting expectations.

Supposedly, the dead proposed Walmart to the south on the Wildomar and Murrieta border is being considered again. Walmart had canceled and put the land for sale, but then recently petitioned for an extension on their building permit. If it is built then it would seem they effectively split the original Elsinore site in two halves, with one site now about 5 miles north and then the other site 5 miles south.
Vons had already closed well prior to construction commencing on the widening and reconfiguration of the offramps. Northbound I-15 now does directly exit right into the main entrance of this shopping center on Grape St. rather than Railroad Canyon/Diamond Drive as it previously had. This former Walmart was a very busy store right to the end despite construction.

As for the new Walmart, the exits at Central are in the planning stage to be widened. City of Lake Elsinore contributed to the construction funds, design for the Railroad Canyon/Diamond Dr. exit and now the Main Street exit widening that is currently under construction. It's in their budget for this year to contribute to the Central Ave. widening and federal and state funds have been approved. They need to do so because there are a number of new stores that are going be built around the perimeter of the Walmart. One is a new In-n-Out basically across the street from Chick-fil-A. The second In-n-Out in Lake Elsinore and is going to be built to relieve stress on the one at Grape St. & Railroad Canyon.

I think a lot of customers aren't happy with that Walmart Supercenter because it is 90% self-checkout. There are normally only two or three regular checkout lanes open. Pretty easy to get through self-checkout, though. Probably one of the worst Walmarts when it comes to restocking and the employees are very poorly trained. But I am no fan of Walmart, anyway.

Expect the Wildomar Walmart Supercenter to commence construction sometime in 2025 from what I have been told. Wildomar was incorporated for the sole reason that Walmart would be a huge portion of the city tax base. They've been doing a bang-up job attracting other businesses to their city to fill the hole. Walmart opening would put the city in a very strong and stable position.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

CalItalian wrote: January 17th, 2024, 12:31 pm

Vons had already closed well prior to construction commencing on the widening and reconfiguration of the offramps. Northbound I-15 now does directly exit right into the main entrance of this shopping center on Grape St. rather than Railroad Canyon/Diamond Drive as it previously had. This former Walmart was a very busy store right to the end despite construction.

As for the new Walmart, the exits at Central are in the planning stage to be widened. City of Lake Elsinore contributed to the construction funds, design for the Railroad Canyon/Diamond Dr. exit and now the Main Street exit widening that is currently under construction. It's in their budget for this year to contribute to the Central Ave. widening and federal and state funds have been approved. They need to do so because there are a number of new stores that are going be built around the perimeter of the Walmart. One is a new In-n-Out basically across the street from Chick-fil-A. The second In-n-Out in Lake Elsinore and is going to be built to relieve stress on the one at Grape St. & Railroad Canyon.

I think a lot of customers aren't happy with that Walmart Supercenter because it is 90% self-checkout. There are normally only two or three regular checkout lanes open. Pretty easy to get through self-checkout, though. Probably one of the worst Walmarts when it comes to restocking and the employees are very poorly trained. But I am no fan of Walmart, anyway.

Expect the Wildomar Walmart Supercenter to commence construction sometime in 2025 from what I have been told. Wildomar was incorporated for the sole reason that Walmart would be a huge portion of the city tax base. They've been doing a bang-up job attracting other businesses to their city to fill the hole. Walmart opening would put the city in a very strong and stable position.
Great to hear the Wildomar Walmart is on. Hopefully that will put pressure on Murrieta to allow them to expand that location from a standard Division 1 to a full supercenter like they did in Cerritos, Foothill Ranch and other locations. I haven't been in the Elsinore store since shortly after it opened but it was already struggling to keep the shelves full and really everyone else over there besides Costco struggles to keep their stores clean and recovered. Target there is a mess every time I go in.

Widening the offramp isn't going to address the fact there is not enough roadway to hold all the cars especially those exiting from I-15 North who want to get into the Costco/Lowe's side. They need to reconfigure all of Central. I wonder how the Ethanac Expressway project will play into all of that traffic should it be built...

It felt like the northbound ramp project started forever ago (before Vons closed).
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

ClownLoach wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:06 pm

Great to hear the Wildomar Walmart is on. Hopefully that will put pressure on Murrieta to allow them to expand that location from a standard Division 1 to a full supercenter like they did in Cerritos, Foothill Ranch and other locations. I haven't been in the Elsinore store since shortly after it opened but it was already struggling to keep the shelves full and really everyone else over there besides Costco struggles to keep their stores clean and recovered. Target there is a mess every time I go in.

Widening the offramp isn't going to address the fact there is not enough roadway to hold all the cars especially those exiting from I-15 North who want to get into the Costco/Lowe's side. They need to reconfigure all of Central. I wonder how the Ethanac Expressway project will play into all of that traffic should it be built...

It felt like the northbound ramp project started forever ago (before Vons closed).
This is a link to the Central Avenue SR 74/I-15 proposed project (it's happening. Just haven't decided yet on the final design).
https://www.lake-elsinore.org/198/Inter ... Avenue-Int

If you click through the InterActive Story link on the city's webpage, it shows how it potentially will be redesigned.

They're more than halfway through the Main St. exit revamp so they expect to start this next year.
ClownLoach
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by ClownLoach »

CalItalian wrote: January 19th, 2024, 10:58 am
ClownLoach wrote: January 17th, 2024, 3:06 pm

This is a link to the Central Avenue SR 74/I-15 proposed project (it's happening. Just haven't decided yet on the final design).
https://www.lake-elsinore.org/198/Inter ... Avenue-Int

If you click through the InterActive Story link on the city's webpage, it shows how it potentially will be redesigned.

They're more than halfway through the Main St. exit revamp so they expect to start this next year.
Those proposals are fantastic. Should be great for everyone over there. Thanks for sharing!