VONS: Some observation from Echo Park, Los Angeles

California. No non-grocery posts.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

VONS: Some observation from Echo Park, Los Angeles

Post by SamSpade »

First off, sometimes we are pretty strongly opinionated here on Albertsons SoCal.

Secondly, today I was in VONS Echo Park store. It does have that Lifestyle decor but in this small "Marina" store it still looked good. They also have a lot crowded in there including cards & lottery (& maybe a safe) in - feels like the old Albertsons (probably some SFWs too) days.
Now for the odd things for a "Safeway":
Vons employees wear green polo shirts like the LLC employees used to. Checkout clerks appeared to have a rule of button down in a certain color palette and VONS vest.

Full deli (& clean) but no visible bakery. They managed to squeeze in bagels and Mexican pastries brought from some other store, I assume. Public restroom that was as clean as possible considering store age and neighborhood (thanks store, btw).

No self checkout but plenty of clerks and moving lines.

Pricing observation:
"Premium" dairy is priced similarly to our stores in the Portland division bit Lucerne eggs, butter, etc. are much higher. This was true at the downtown Target for similar products as well.

The last VONS I was in would have been October 2012, in Anaheim. That Lifestyle decor is everywhere. (Ha).
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Re: VONS: Some observation from Echo Park, Los Angeles

Post by rwsandiego »

SamSpade wrote: April 23rd, 2018, 4:59 pm...Vons employees wear green polo shirts like the LLC employees used to. Checkout clerks appeared to have a rule of button down in a certain color palette and VONS vest..
In San Diego, the button-down shirt and vest uniform was worn by supervisors, many of whom work the registers. The polo shirt clad employees were regular rank-and-file. Here in Phoenix, the rank-and-file wear black aprons (VONS used to wear them too) and the supervisors wear white shirts, as was previously the case at VONS.