Safeway lighting changes in NorCal

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway lighting changes in NorCal

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like the lighting changes have come to NorCal. I would say they are doing a more complete job than some of the other regions.

At the store in Truckee, CA, around the perimeter, all of the "canister" lights have been removed and new ceiling tiles put in the places where those were. They have put up new lights which are within ceiling tiles, which look to be extremely bright LEDs (I may be wrong), but not necessarily in the same places as the old canister lights were. The new ceiling tiles are white (the surrounding perimeter ceiling tiles are dark) so this looks interesting but it isn't that noticeable unless you are really looking (and since it hurts the eyes to look up there, you probably won't look for long).

Also center store lighting is the same as before. The perimeter now seems brighter than center store.

The store around the perimeter is now very bright. Borderline painful on the eyes it is so bright. The lifestyle walls look quite old, dated, and drab and they probably need to do these lighting changes in conjunction with wall repaints/remodels. Colorful lifestyle would go well with this.
klkla

Re: Safeway lighting changes in NorCal

Post by klkla »

I think these are the same lights that Gelson's and Pavilions are using in some of their remodels now. They were originally designed for offices. I'm not a huge fan. they're too bright and don't focus light on products very well.

Example at the Truckee store:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioInAEwCg

Example at Gelson's (360 view):
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioIowEwEQ

Example at Pavilions:
https://www.google.com/maps/uv?hl=en&pb ... oioIrwEwCg
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Looks best in the Gelson's of the examples noted.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: July 4th, 2018, 11:57 am...The lifestyle walls look quite old, dated, and drab...
New lighting or old lighting, Lifestyle 2.0 looks old, dated, and drab because it is old and dated. By 2018 standards it is drab. Lifestyle 1.0 has held up better, I think, but it is eleven years old and shows it.
Super S

Post by Super S »

At least they are using a recessed fixture which looks a little better than strip lights with reflectors. It actually looks ok where they used a similar fixture in the main store as well.
architect
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by architect »

Super S wrote: July 4th, 2018, 7:18 pm At least they are using a recessed fixture which looks a little better than strip lights with reflectors. It actually looks ok where they used a similar fixture in the main store as well.
The light fixtures which were installed at the Truckee store and also the Pavillions in Klkla's post are 2x4 lay-in LED fixtures (the white area is actually a reflector which a part of the fixture unit). In California, there are often incentives from both local utilities and the state to retrofit lighting with LED's, likely making this a no brainer move for Albertsons (also allowing for a brighter perimeter in the process). I have also noticed that Albertsons seems to be retrofitting some Jewel locations with LED strip fixtures, so there may be local utility incentives for them to do so in the Chicago area too. In contrast, most other regions have received fluorescent strips around their perimeters over the last couple of years. At least the DC and Northwest stores received strips with reflectors. Most stores in Texas, Colorado and Arizona simply received basic fluorescent strips, which look horribly tacky and also create a massive amount of glare. The one exception in Texas has been stores which have warehouse ceilings or extremely high lay-in ceilings, both of which have typically received hanging fixtures which are generally much more attractive.

Moving forward, all new stores will be provided with LED's, as energy codes in most jurisdictions now essentially require their use in order to fall under maximum lighting power requirements. It would not surprise me to see Albertsons also replace existing fluorescent fixtures with LED's at high-volume existing stores over the next few years; there is simply very little downside to them at this point.