08/14: 21 Kroger FoodsCo locations to stop accepting Visa Credit Cards

California. No non-grocery posts.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Re: 08/14: 21 Kroger FoodsCo locations to stop accepting Visa Credit Cards

Post by submariner »

rwsandiego wrote: August 1st, 2018, 7:15 pm
submariner wrote: August 1st, 2018, 8:18 am AmEx may have higher fees, but Visa is much more common and most likely eclipses the total AmEx fees by a magnitude. Couple this with the fact that 1: AmEx does not back debit cards (which can be run as credit as well in most cases) and 2: your average AmEx cardholder is generally less likely to use the card for groceries.
Actually, your average Amex cardholder is less likely to shop at FoodsCo.
Well, you're not wrong... :lol:
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: August 1st, 2018, 7:35 pm
rwsandiego wrote: August 1st, 2018, 7:15 pm
submariner wrote: August 1st, 2018, 8:18 am AmEx may have higher fees, but Visa is much more common and most likely eclipses the total AmEx fees by a magnitude. Couple this with the fact that 1: AmEx does not back debit cards (which can be run as credit as well in most cases) and 2: your average AmEx cardholder is generally less likely to use the card for groceries.
Actually, your average Amex cardholder is less likely to shop at FoodsCo.
Well, you're not wrong... :lol:
We shouldn't generalize. Though I would say you are correct. But, have any of you actually been to FoodsCo? It is quite an experience. Store standards for service and cleanliness are the worst by far of any Kroger banner. Photos online will validate that observation. Food 4 Less locations I've been to in SoCal are like upscale fresh fare stores compared to these FoodsCo Stores. I've been to every FoodsCo except the ones in Bakersfield, the one in Oakland, and the one in Richmond. Though I've been relatively close many times (usually at night), and despite my deep curiousity, I have to draw the line somewhere in consideration for my personal safety with the decision to not visit the ones in Oakland and Richmond as of this time. Maybe someday. I have found generally with FoodsCo it is usually a pretty positive experience if you go in the morning before about 11 AM. If you go after that, forget it and be ready to put up with filth, long lines, panhandlers, numerous unattended "clean ups" inside the store, and bad odors. But these are high volume operations. I am sure they process some American Express cards just due to the sheer volume they are doing. Lots of people like a deal and FoodsCo has great deals in a sea of otherwise very high priced NorCal Stores.
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Breaking: Kroger has announced this will now apply to Smith's division.

:!: :!: :!:
arizonaguy
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by arizonaguy »

SamSpade wrote: March 1st, 2019, 7:21 am Breaking: Kroger has announced this will now apply to Smith's division.

:!: :!: :!:
If this moves to Fry's they've lost me as a shopper.

I only have Visa credit cards and if I'm going to have to use a debit card I might as well shop at Winco.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Kroger is using this as a way to try to get Visa to lower their fees. If all of the supermarket chains joined together and did the same, Visa may cave and lower rates for every grocery store. The grocery store business is low margin and the fees cause higher prices for everyone. Kroger wants to get people used to using debit which has lower fees or use cash which has no fees. Winco only accepts debit or cash to keep prices lower.

Visa has been greedy and thinks that they can charge whatever they want. It is time for businesses to join together and take a stand against this company that just skims money off of everyone and makes prices go up for all customers.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 2:05 pm Kroger is using this as a way to try to get Visa to lower their fees. If all of the supermarket chains joined together and did the same, Visa may cave and lower rates for every grocery store. The grocery store business is low margin and the fees cause higher prices for everyone. Kroger wants to get people used to using debit which has lower fees or use cash which has no fees. Winco only accepts debit or cash to keep prices lower.

Visa has been greedy and thinks that they can charge whatever they want. It is time for businesses to join together and take a stand against this company that just skims money off of everyone and makes prices go up for all customers.
It is going to be businesses vs. Visa. I think at this point in the US there is still too much competition for the businesses to get together. There will always be "that other place" who doesn't join in and steals customers from all the ones who decide to join in and fight.

And Visa can then go another step and give "that other place" lower fees to spite the places that are fighting.

These businesses would be better off to exercise their surcharge ability and just surcharge the transactions the 2-3% it costs to process. This weekend I spent about $15 at Smiths using Visa and frankly it they wanted to fee me 45cents I'd have probably paid another way, but at least the option is there if I want to use the Visa.
klkla

Post by klkla »

storewanderer wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pmIt is going to be businesses vs. Visa.
According to this article you are right:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -standards

"Lobbyists for Walmart Inc. and other retailers are joining forces with companies that process payments in the latest battle over the $90 billion that U.S. merchants pay banks annually to process credit and debit-card charges."

"Retailers say networks like Visa Inc. and Mastercard Inc. make decisions such as which industry is on the hook when cards are stolen. Financial firms counter that retailers and tech companies do have representatives who weigh in on rules for credit cards. They say retailers are just trying to pay less in so-called swipe fees."
BillyGr
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by BillyGr »

storewanderer wrote: March 3rd, 2019, 6:01 pm It is going to be businesses vs. Visa. I think at this point in the US there is still too much competition for the businesses to get together. There will always be "that other place" who doesn't join in and steals customers from all the ones who decide to join in and fight.

And Visa can then go another step and give "that other place" lower fees to spite the places that are fighting.

These businesses would be better off to exercise their surcharge ability and just surcharge the transactions the 2-3% it costs to process. This weekend I spent about $15 at Smiths using Visa and frankly it they wanted to fee me 45cents I'd have probably paid another way, but at least the option is there if I want to use the Visa.
The only problem might be that not every place allows a credit card surcharge. For instance here in NY those that charge differently (which are mostly gas stations) list it as a cash discount rather than a credit surcharge so as not to get in trouble by doing it.
SeaWolfFan

Post by SeaWolfFan »

I was browsing through the forums, saw this topic and wondered what the current status was. Seems there has been a recent update: Kroger reverses Visa credit card ban.
https://www.businessinsider.com/kroger- ... an-2019-10