Safeway remodel Tahoe City, CA 09/2018

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Safeway remodel Tahoe City, CA 09/2018

Post by storewanderer »

Currently in grand reopening as of September 2018.

This is a smaller store and was expanded into a former CVS/Longs space next door and added about 4 aisies (the expanded area is where dairy is), probably about 8,000 square feet worth of space. CVS moved into a larger space elsewhere in the shopping center. A very seasonal store in an out of the way location that is pretty slow most of the year. Save Mart has a store nearby that is typically much busier due to being in a more visible location. About the only example where Save Mart outperforms Safeway that I've seen.

The store has always had the current ceiling (even when it had the 70's interior with the big food image wall graphics).

I find it interesting they removed the floor but kept the same old tired lifestyle decor and even expanded it into the expanded parts of the store. They also re-tiled behind the service deli into a tile scheme that I think reminds me of Supervalu's Premium Fresh and Healthy interior... maybe.

I hope this goes as the last store to get the lifestyle interior ever. It is not that it is bad but it is overused and time to retire it.
TCRmdl5.jpg
TCRmdl4.jpg
TCRmdl3.jpg
TCRmdl2.jpg
TCRmdl1.jpg
TCRmdl.jpg
TCRmdl7.jpg
TCRmdl6.jpg
mbz321
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Re: Safeway remodel Tahoe City, CA 09/2018

Post by mbz321 »

Ouch my neck!
Super S

Post by Super S »

mbz321 wrote: September 18th, 2018, 12:05 pmOuch my neck!
I second that.

As for the store, polished concrete doesn't look right with the Lifestyle package at all. Especially with what looks like patch jobs in the floor.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

How do I rotate photos?

When you click the photo large it opens in the proper orientation.
submariner
Founder of RetailWatchers.com

Post by submariner »

storewanderer wrote: September 18th, 2018, 9:35 pm How do I rotate photos?

Not sure, might be a problem with the theme. I'll check if there's an updated version

Edit: I updated the theme, nothing. I updated the board software (it should at least fix the uploading issues) and no fix to the existing post. Let me try something:
IMG_2342.jpeg
IMG_1922.jpg
TCRmdl7.jpg
submariner

Post by submariner »

Are you uploading from Windows, or macOS, or something else? I see you took the photos with a Samsung Galaxy S5, I've had issues in the past with Windows not translating image rotation data correctly sometimes. Never found a solution.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

submariner wrote: September 19th, 2018, 8:09 pm

Are you uploading from Windows, or macOS, or something else? I see you took the photos with a Samsung Galaxy S5, I've had issues in the past with Windows not translating image rotation data correctly sometimes. Never found a solution.
That upload was from Windows.
Bagels
Assistant Store Manager
Assistant Store Manager

Post by Bagels »

The Lifestyles interior is still very modern; the renovation looks nice. At least Albertsons/Safeway is committed to making the former Safeway family of stores look uniform. Meanwhile, Albertsons is a hodgepodge of various designs...
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Bagels wrote: September 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm The Lifestyles interior is still very modern; the renovation looks nice. At least Albertsons/Safeway is committed to making the former Safeway family of stores look uniform. Meanwhile, Albertsons is a hodgepodge of various designs...
I don't really agree with this. This renovation looks cheap and not very good. The lifestyle signage in the old part of the store is backlit but in the new part of the store is not backlit. The floors are in awful shape but are fairly typical for cement floors in retail stores in older buildings.

Also I don't think the former Safeway family of stores looks uniform at all under Albertsons. They have turned it into a hodgepodge of interior designs. I like a hodgepodge of interior designs so I consider this to be a positive as it keeps things interesting. They have a ton of interiors going on in other regions. There is the Florida style interior that has been seen in every division except for NorCal. There is the colorful lifestyle interior that has been seen in every division except for NorCal. There is an odd hybrid between the old lifestyle interior and the colorful lifestyle that has been seen in Texas. There is an odd interior in places like Scottsbluff, NE and Monte Vista, CO that I am not even sure what it is patterned after...
SoCalShopper1023
Stock Clerk
Stock Clerk

Post by SoCalShopper1023 »

storewanderer wrote: September 21st, 2018, 11:32 pm
Bagels wrote: September 21st, 2018, 2:56 pm The Lifestyles interior is still very modern; the renovation looks nice. At least Albertsons/Safeway is committed to making the former Safeway family of stores look uniform. Meanwhile, Albertsons is a hodgepodge of various designs...
I don't really agree with this. This renovation looks cheap and not very good. The lifestyle signage in the old part of the store is backlit but in the new part of the store is not backlit. The floors are in awful shape but are fairly typical for cement floors in retail stores in older buildings.

Also I don't think the former Safeway family of stores looks uniform at all under Albertsons. They have turned it into a hodgepodge of interior designs. I like a hodgepodge of interior designs so I consider this to be a positive as it keeps things interesting. They have a ton of interiors going on in other regions. There is the Florida style interior that has been seen in every division except for NorCal. There is the colorful lifestyle interior that has been seen in every division except for NorCal. There is an odd hybrid between the old lifestyle interior and the colorful lifestyle that has been seen in Texas. There is an odd interior in places like Scottsbluff, NE and Monte Vista, CO that I am not even sure what it is patterned after...

Plus the interior of stores that they've acquired in the past couple of years like United Supermarkets, and Haggen (whatever is left of them).