Safeway remodel Tahoe City, CA 09/2018

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Safeway remodel Tahoe City, CA 09/2018

Post by storewanderer »

Also this Tahoe City store has the traditional gold lifestyle decor and wall scheme above deli and liquor.

Previous Safeway applications of lifestyle have that wall painted a dark red color.

Also as previously noted the tile job behind the deli and seafood does not match the typical lifestyle scheme.

It looks to me like they were being so cheap here that since part of the store was already lifestyle and not being touched they decided to just leave those walls how they were and put the same decor on the expanded area, rather than just do a proper remodel to the whole store using the very nice Pavilions package that they should be using in the Tahoe stores.
rwsandiego
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by rwsandiego »

storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 11:16 pm Also this Tahoe City store has the traditional gold lifestyle decor and wall scheme above deli and liquor.

Previous Safeway applications of lifestyle have that wall painted a dark red color.

Also as previously noted the tile job behind the deli and seafood does not match the typical lifestyle scheme.

It looks to me like they were being so cheap here that since part of the store was already lifestyle and not being touched they decided to just leave those walls how they were and put the same decor on the expanded area, rather than just do a proper remodel to the whole store using the very nice Pavilions package that they should be using in the Tahoe stores.
The interesting thing is the new signage uses the wording found in the Pavilions package and the current Jewel package, not Lifestyle. For example, Lifestyle refers to the milk department as "pure and wholesome," while Pavilions and Jewel refer to it as "fresh milk." This makes me wonder whether the store will be remodeled into the Pavilions package and, for some reason, they did not do that during the expansion.

Or NorCal Safeway is just freakin' bizarre.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

rwsandiego wrote: September 23rd, 2018, 10:28 am
storewanderer wrote: September 22nd, 2018, 11:16 pm Also this Tahoe City store has the traditional gold lifestyle decor and wall scheme above deli and liquor.

The interesting thing is the new signage uses the wording found in the Pavilions package and the current Jewel package, not Lifestyle. For example, Lifestyle refers to the milk department as "pure and wholesome," while Pavilions and Jewel refer to it as "fresh milk." This makes me wonder whether the store will be remodeled into the Pavilions package and, for some reason, they did not do that during the expansion.

Or NorCal Safeway is just freakin' bizarre.
I think NorCal Safeway makes the minimum effort, at the highest retail prices to the customer, with the lowest staffing levels. Bagels name made me think of NorCal increasing its price on bagels to 89cents each this week, again. This is the 3rd or 4th time this year they have flip flopped between 79cents and 89cents each on bagels. I don't know why they keep doing this.

I am guessing in the next few years they will start to remodel stores out of lifestyle and into one of the other packages the other divisions have been using for the past few years. I just don't understand why they don't start it now. Maybe they want to have a "consistent look" so that is why. ASC Lucky did some strange stuff like this back in the 90's too, remodeling and expanding small little stores that had the old red/green interior before, and then they did the expansion and the stores had that same old red/green interior; it wasn't until 1999 that the Jewel interior started to appear in some new build Lucky Stores.