21 Employees positive for Coronavirus at Rock ‘N Roll Ralph’s in Hollywood

California. No non-grocery posts.
Alpha8472

Re: 21 Employees positive for Coronavirus at Rock ‘N Roll Ralph’s in Hollywood

Post by Alpha8472 »

Sanitizing is a good first step, but they need to figure out how it spread. They need to make changes so that it does not spread so easily.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Tough to control thousands of customers going in and out from not slipping and spreading the virus. I think we are lucky there have not been a lot more widespread cases out of retail stores.
veteran+
Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Post by veteran+ »

storewanderer wrote: May 15th, 2020, 4:52 pm Someone being symptomatic is too late. But I thought LA County is testing everyone with symptoms or not. So maybe it is a matter of people seeking out the tests on their own. Not saying that is how it should be- but at least testing is available to people if they want to get it on their own (no help from their employer) in LA County.

As long as masks are required and there are plastic shields up this pandemic is still happening and I find it tough to justify ending the extra pay other than sheer cheapness. I do suspect expenses have spiraled out of control at the grocers and this is one of the factors they can control. Any of us who have been around grocery know the first thing to get cut when the numbers don't look good is labor. I don't think this is the right thing to do in this scenario but it is consistent with past behavior.
Testing is readily available for ALL in Los Angeles County (several locations)!!!

First come first served. Like I said, it took me 2 weeks to get one, checking every day at different times.
reymann
Personnel Manager
Personnel Manager

Post by reymann »

there's been a couple of stores in the fresno area where employees recently tested positive for covid. foodmaxx immediately closed for a day after the employee tested positive.
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

The FoodMaxx checkout is the worst. The cashier stands with their back to the customer in the customer lane with the credit card reader 1 foot away. There is no plexiglass and no way to keep 6 feet apart. Every customer must pass within inches of the cashier breathing on their necks.

They need to replace this checkstand sytem. FoodMaxx stores in San Jose and 1 in the Oakland area had to close down for positive employees.
storewanderer

Post by storewanderer »

Alpha8472 wrote: May 16th, 2020, 1:52 pm The FoodMaxx checkout is the worst. The cashier stands with their back to the customer in the customer lane with the credit card reader 1 foot away. There is no plexiglass and no way to keep 6 feet apart. Every customer must pass within inches of the cashier breathing on their necks.

They need to replace this checkstand sytem. FoodMaxx stores in San Jose and 1 in the Oakland area had to close down for positive employees.
Only a small number of Food Maxx have those checkstands. I'm not sure where they inherited those checkstands from, but I agree they are terrible. None of the rural NorCal Stores that were former Fleming F4Ls have those (Red Bluff, Chico, Oroville, Citrus Heights, etc. all have standard self bagging checkstands with the scanner and keyboard between the cashier and customer). Also a safety risk given the cash drawer pops out an inch from the customer. The others have standard bag it yourself checkstands with the scanner and keyboard between the customer and the cashier. Last time I was in the Sparks Food Maxx, they had no plexiglass but it has been a number of weeks since I went in there.