Downtown Santa Monica Vons Property Owner Plans to Demolish

California. No non-grocery posts.
storewanderer

Re: Downtown Santa Monica Vons Property Owner Plans to Demolish

Post by storewanderer »

klkla wrote: June 4th, 2020, 4:52 pm
CalItalian wrote: June 4th, 2020, 12:48 pm This is a video of this Vons WHILE it was being looted.
Wow. That's crazy. They thrashed that store. Looks like all the employees abandoned the ship (Not that I blame them).
I'd have liked to see a longer looting video but I am sure whoever posted that was fearing for their safety and rightfully so given the place was burned down soon thereafter.

What is interesting is some people seem to be looting quickly and others appear to be taking their time looting...
Alpha8472

Post by Alpha8472 »

Some people look like they are just casually shopping. Burning down the store just ruins it for everyone. Now where are you going to get groceries nearby?
klkla

Post by klkla »

Alpha8472 wrote: June 4th, 2020, 8:11 pm Some people look like they are just casually shopping. Burning down the store just ruins it for everyone. Now where are you going to get groceries nearby?
I agree with the crazy part. I don't think it was people from that neighborhood that did the looting. That store is located near all the other stores that were looted that day in Santa Monica.

FWIW there is a Pavilions 7 blocks to the north, a Vons 9 blocks northeast and a Gelson's 15 blocks to the south so it's not exactly a food desert.
CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

It wasn't burned down. Just a fire started in part of the store. I don't know how it was put out.
TW-Upstate NY
Shift Manager
Shift Manager

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

storewanderer wrote: June 4th, 2020, 6:23 pm I'd have liked to see a longer looting video but I am sure whoever posted that was fearing for their safety
I initially thought the same until I watched this and the looters were absolutely oblivious to the guy. And judging from the footage, it wasn't really hurried or rushed and on some levels resembled news footage. As an aside though, maybe it's because of where I live or grew up or a combination of both, but I just cannot comprehend any of this. This is just something I've never experienced or (hopefully) never have to deal with. The absolute nonchalance with which people went about this is astounding.
klkla

Post by klkla »

It looks like the Pavilions at Melrose & Vine in Hollywood was looted as well, but not nearly as bad as the Vons in Santa Monica. And the police went after and caught one of the looters!

CalItalian
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by CalItalian »

Apparently, a new Vons is going to replace the current Vons. A new 63,500 sq. ft. Vons (out of 99,050 sq. ft. of commercial space) will be built on the first level along with 296 residential units in the 8-story mixed use project.

https://www.livabl.com/2021/02/renderin ... pment.html
SamSpade
Store Manager
Store Manager

Post by SamSpade »

Hopefully local objections can be overcome quickly. That's some beautiful and interesting design, which is unusual in so much of current mid-rise residential development (at least out this way).