Draeger’s San Mateo Potentially Closing

California. No non-grocery posts.
lake52
Cashier
Cashier

Draeger’s San Mateo Potentially Closing

Post by lake52 »

https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/loc ... c7d5c.html

Saw this in the paper today. Doesn’t seem like Draegers is 100% confident they’ll return. Especially with such a downsize. Maybe Mollie Stones could make that work, but with two Trader Joe’s in San Mateo already, I don’t know who else would. There is a lot of housing currently under construction in downtown San Mateo, so business would only increase.

This store is huge, as the article states, two stories and almost 60k square feet. It has an upper level with a cooking school, restaurant (has since permanently closed due to Covid), and a William Sonoma esque store. It does decent meat/deli/bakery business, but center store is dead. Produce also isn’t extremely busy. For as high of rent they’re probably paying, I don’t blame them for being hesitant to return.
storewanderer

Re: Draeger’s San Mateo Potentially Closing

Post by storewanderer »

lake52 wrote: November 17th, 2020, 9:03 pm https://www.smdailyjournal.com/news/loc ... c7d5c.html

Saw this in the paper today. Doesn’t seem like Draegers is 100% confident they’ll return. Especially with such a downsize. Maybe Mollie Stones could make that work, but with two Trader Joe’s in San Mateo already, I don’t know who else would. There is a lot of housing currently under construction in downtown San Mateo, so business would only increase.

This store is huge, as the article states, two stories and almost 60k square feet. It has an upper level with a cooking school, restaurant (has since permanently closed due to Covid), and a William Sonoma esque store. It does decent meat/deli/bakery business, but center store is dead. Produce also isn’t extremely busy. For as high of rent they’re probably paying, I don’t blame them for being hesitant to return.
That's a really nice store but it is showing signs of wear. The parking situation is probably going to be a worthwhile consideration for if they decide to return with a downsized version of the store. I don't think there is a potential relocation site for them nearby.

At least there is still Piazza's out Hillsdale for those who want to shop an independent gourmet-focused grocer in San Mateo.